Trinity Claims/Policy Expert

Hi all
I've recently noticed large patches of mold appearing near the edged of the roof (on the inner walls) and had a contractor out to look at the damage. He advised it's likely as a result of storm damage to the roof and that we should go through our insurance.
At this point I called Policy Expert and the call routed through to Trinity Claims. They sent a surveyor out and that's the last we heard for weeks. Numerous calls to them over the weeks were answered with "we're waiting for the report". I put through a complaint and a week later they had the report and would be back in touch in a few days. A week later (today) I called and was told it's now gone off to someone else and they're waiting to hear back. It's now been 6 weeks since I put a claim in and I don't even know if the claim is going to be agreed or turned down.
I googled a bit and found a few reviews on trust pilot and they all said the same thing, in a nutshell Trinity just stall and stall and stall and at this point I have no faith that this is going to be resolved anytime soon. I'm regretting claiming on home insurance (something that I sure I shouldn't) and i'm due for renewal in 9 days. This claim is now going to effect my premium and I don't even know if they'll agree it or not.
I'm feeling totally backed into a corner here with no way of getting them to actually action the claim and stop fobbing me off or unable to cancel the claim and just get the damage repaired myself but without it affecting my next premium.
Any advice?

Comments

• Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    To be honest its unlikely to be a valid claim anyway. Something of that nature will be difficult to relate to one specific event (storm for example) unless you are aware of the date of loss/event? and will be classed as a gradually operating cause.
    Id suggest following the complaints process in you are unhappy with the service.
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 16 Forumite
    Reardoa wrote: »
    To be honest its unlikely to be a valid claim anyway. Something of that nature will be difficult to relate to one specific event (storm for example) unless you are aware of the date of loss/event? and will be classed as a gradually operating cause.
    Id suggest following the complaints process in you are unhappy with the service.

I only called the Insurance company off the back of what the contractor told me. If I cancel the claim it's still going to affect my premium so I feel I've just shot myself in the foot by trying to use insurance. (and they wonder why there's people who don't have it).

One more question I hope someone can answer, If I cancel my claim would that be better for renewal quotes or should I just wait till they string me along for weeks then turn it down? Currently the claim is valued at about £1500 but if I cancel it surely it'll be a value of £0. (Picked that up from another thread, unsure if it's correct)
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Even if the claim is withdrawn or repudiated, the claim value will reflect the claim handling costs and the cost of the surveyor sent out.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Although the contractor said the damage was 'storm damage' they probably mean it in the sense that weather, over time, has caused the issue.

Your insurance will only cover you for damage due to a one off storm event - not over time.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    For those reading, very important to read the exclusion criteria of your insurance, even premium insurers such as Hiscox also have exclusions for things that happened over time.

OP I'm afraid you jumped to claiming without reading your policy and knowing you won't be able to claim successfully, mould doesn't grow overnight
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 16 Forumite
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    For those reading, very important to read the exclusion criteria of your insurance, even premium insurers such as Hiscox also have exclusions for things that happened over time.

OP I'm afraid you jumped to claiming without reading your policy and knowing you won't be able to claim successfully, mould doesn't grow overnight

Something I missed, thank though, i'll not do that again.
  • I deal with insurance companies day in and out. My experience when dealing with Policy Expert and their "henchmen" claims management company ,Trinity Claims, is very, very poor. All insurers' can be judged by their claims management. All have a legal duty to treat customers fairly (The TCF principle)
    Trinity Claims ignore that principle completely and repudiate or limit their liability to a paltry settlement figure routinely. I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Hiscox is best and NFU aren't far behind. You get what you pay for in the insurance industry and you don't know how bad your insurance is until you have to make a claim. We refer companies like Trinity and Policy expert to the financial ombudsman service on a regular basis and my next job today is to refer yet another trinity claims job. Avoid. Jock the clock.
  • AsifM
    AsifM Posts: 2 Newbie
    Absolute joke, Policy Expert and Trinity claims should be ashamed of themselves. I took out a home insurance policy after seeing an advert, however when it came to making a NON FAULT CLAIM I was treated as though I was at fault by Trinity claims and their contractor Westone Housing Ltd of Peterborough (who frankly were as incompetent as it gets). There is a lot of detail as to why Trinity Claims are a joke however, after going back and forth for months I approached the third parties insurer NIG who immediately went about resolving the issue and luckily settled within 2 weeks. Warning AVOID Policy Expert, Trinity Claims and Westone Housing Ltd of Peterborough at all costs.
  • Hi,

I hope someone can help - I will soon be looking to make a home insurance claim following the result of my toilet system leaking.

My home insurance is with policy expert - however when I called was dealing with a third party company.

I called them regarding this issue to find that there cover will only cover damage done as a result of the leak however will not look to replace the toilet which caused the problem initially. The toilet which will need to be replaced is glued to the floor meaning when the toilet is removed the tiles will break however they are not willing to cover this as the damage would be as a result of the fix happening and not the actual water damage. They have suggested using a deboning gel to unstick the toilet to avoid damage.

In the policy it does not state in the inclusions or exclusions about not fixing/ replacing what caused the problem, as a result they have advised that it is not covered and all would need to be put right by the home owner - is this right? As surely this could be interpreted both ways ... not within the exclusions then you will be covered?

They have suggest they don’t write the policy therefore can’t comment on it and instead suggested to call policy expert direct and have the conversation with them ��

Hopefully this makes sense.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback