Buying a diamond engagement ring from Birmingham Jewellery Quarter

13»

Comments

• I bought diamond engagement rings from a online store namely gemln.com/cat-rings/engagement-rings past month ago.
    the prices were really fantastic and there are variety of beautiful wedding rings to choose from.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    shopndrop wrote: »
    I know it might not be an option but as you as planning on spending so much money why not give her a "token ring" when you propose and go and choose the real thing together. Would it not make more sense to do it this way and know that she is 100% happy with something she will hopefully have for a lifetime?

It's very personal, isn't it.

My wife wouldn't have been 100% happy with the proposal if I didn't have the ring....
  • Hi

I was going to take my girlfriend to the JQ to choose her engagment ring.
    Thing is the budgets only £350.is it worth going their or should I stick to the high street?

Thanks.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    surrytom wrote: »
    Hi

I was going to take my girlfriend to the JQ to choose her engagment ring.
    Thing is the budgets only £350.is it worth going their or should I stick to the high street?

Thanks.

I imagine you'll still get a little better VFM at the JQ - but I guess it depends on how much hassle/expense it takes you to get there and back...
  • My partner initially went to the jewellery quarter alone and chose the most perfect ring in the world, for me - I'm sure everyone's is just as perfect for them. He had to take me in one week before our surprise holiday [Where my amazing man proposed] for final exact ring sizing. He had chosen a 1.75ct centre stone, along with a platinum 0.4ct pav! setting. They had quoted him initially £13,500, which he managed to bring them down to £10,000. Although when I went in and looked at the GIA certificate, I was able to bring them down to £8150. As when looking at the certificate, there were more natural indentations to the corner of the centre stone - than had been initially explained to my fianc!. There was also a small cavity, which if the ring touches anything dirty - the dirt is near on impossible to remove. Our ring was Colour F and VS1, it glistens and sparkles. I am so happy and so very pleased at just how well my fianc! knows me.
    Though, as a word of warning - most men know very little about diamonds and flaws that weaken the integrity of the diamond, so never make a decision there and there. And always check the date of which the certificate was created, as this will show you how long they have had that diamond, if it has been many years - there is always a reason. The Jewellery Quarter - in Birmingham, has so many diamond establishments and they all use the same or at least one manufacturer. So if you see one ring you love, though the price is too high - the ring can be obtained from another establishment at a better price. Careful though, some of these so called professional stores - work in a hard sale environment and try and push to not look around and buy there and then. They seem to try and hide imperfections and make sure that their store lighting, makes the diamond look a lot better than truly is.
    To anyone reading this, we definitely recommend the jewellery quarter, though be prepared for a long day - as there are so many stores that compete for your business. Always ask lots of questions and congratulations on your engagement...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    My partner initially went to the jewellery quarter alone and chose the most perfect ring in the world, for me - I'm sure everyone's is just as perfect for them. He had to take me in one week before our surprise holiday [Where my amazing man proposed] for final exact ring sizing. He had chosen a 1.75ct centre stone, along with a platinum 0.4ct pav! setting. They had quoted him initially £13,500, which he managed to bring them down to £10,000. Although when I went in and looked at the GIA certificate, I was able to bring them down to £8150. As when looking at the certificate, there were more natural indentations to the corner of the centre stone - than had been initially explained to my fianc!. There was also a small cavity, which if the ring touches anything dirty - the dirt is near on impossible to remove. Our ring was Colour F and VS1, it glistens and sparkles. I am so happy and so very pleased at just how well my fianc! knows me.
    Though, as a word of warning - most men know very little about diamonds and flaws that weaken the integrity of the diamond, so never make a decision there and there. And always check the date of which the certificate was created, as this will show you how long they have had that diamond, if it has been many years - there is always a reason. The Jewellery Quarter - in Birmingham, has so many diamond establishments and they all use the same or at least one manufacturer. So if you see one ring you love, though the price is too high - the ring can be obtained from another establishment at a better price. Careful though, some of these so called professional stores - work in a hard sale environment and try and push to not look around and buy there and then. They seem to try and hide imperfections and make sure that their store lighting, makes the diamond look a lot better than truly is.
    To anyone reading this, we definitely recommend the jewellery quarter, though be prepared for a long day - as there are so many stores that compete for your business. Always ask lots of questions and congratulations on your engagement...
    Just to point out that you've posted on a thread that was started over 9 years ago and the last person to post on it who was planning to buy an engagement ring did so 4 years ago so congratulations are a little bit late.

Welcome to MSE.
    It's probably a good idea to check the age of the thread before you post. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure