Demonising Diesel - should I get rid of my Diesel or stick with it

Comments

• laidbackgjr
    laidbackgjr Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll pay you some compensation for the loss of value of your diesel if you pay the same amount of compensation to me for driving a petrol for the last 10 years paying higher tax and now finding out that because the petrol engine generates less harmful particulates it's the cleaner car and should have had the tax the other way round!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am very !!!!ed off (to put it mildly) with the government announcements around diesel cars. I have a 2014 diesel Volvo which I love. I live in London and I do drive into central London in the congestion charging zone. My congestion charge will be doubling. Though my council is yet to announce that they will penalise me - I understand Merton council is levying an extra charge on diesel cars for parking permits and I am sure my council won't be far behind them. It seems they will use every method to squeeze more money out of me. I even heard that some areas are going to ban diesels!

I only bought a diesel as at the time, the government incentivised me to do so!

I've seen they may propose some sort of scrappage scheme (the £3500 bandied around) but I'm not a low earner and if it was means tested, it's unlikely to apply to me and my car is worth around £16k!

As mentioned, I'm not a car person and a bit unsure what to do now. Apparently all these announcements are destroying the market for 2nd hand diesels so I'm unlikely to achieve a good price. Do I just suck it up and therefore pay more and hope that they don't decide to ban diesels completely from London? Or should I sell now while I can and accept that at least I will be getting something rather than a lot less should any more decisions to impact diesels be taken?

Are they? Who says? (other than car salesmen trying to devalue your car because it suits them to say it)
  • motorguy
    thanks everyone. I'm a single mum and it's been worrying me so all your posts have been very useful.

Personally, i would drive on at it.

Changing your car for the sake of it will cost you £,£££s
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Personally, i would drive on at it.

Changing your car for the sake of it will cost you £,£££s

It's a 2, maybe 3 year old car, I would hazard a guess it's on finance/pcp AND/OR that the OP would have been changing it soon anyway.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've got a diesel. Its just over two years old so unaffected by the proposed measures for older diesels. I drive enough miles to make it a sensible choice. When I change my car(not yet) I would consider the best deal on petrol or diesel or even hybrid. I think the current diesel scare stories are a bit overdone including quite a few newspapers unable to distinguish between newer and older diesels in favour of a scare headline.
  • motorguy
    edited 16 March 2017 at 3:15PM
    Strider590 wrote: »
    It's a 2, maybe 3 year old car, I would hazard a guess it's on finance/pcp AND/OR that the OP would have been changing it soon anyway.

Hmmm.. thats not how the original post read to me. It reads like should i sell my diesel car now when the going is still reasonably good, or should i drive on at it?

Surely "should my next car be petrol or diesel" would have been more apt if what your suggesting is the case?
  • motorguy
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    I've got a diesel. Its just over two years old so unaffected by the proposed measures for older diesels. I drive enough miles to make it a sensible choice. When I change my car(not yet) I would consider the best deal on petrol or diesel or even hybrid. I think the current diesel scare stories are a bit overdone including quite a few newspapers unable to distinguish between newer and older diesels in favour of a scare headline.

Exactly.

Newspapers know it makes good headlines for them. Lets be honest its the press drumming up the doom and gloom attitude to diesel, that the councils / government will then use as an excuse to up taxes in some way, and thus it all becomes self-fulfilling.

This past five years or so i've only run a diesel if it has been a requirement because of high mileage. Too many big bill risks for me to want to drive one purely out of preference (which i did with the couple of BMW 535ds i had)
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    typical car owner.

Buys a brand new diesel car over a petrol for £20K because they could save £300 per annum on fuel.

Then wants to sell said diesel which they bought for £20K becauce the residents parking and road tax is going up £100 a year.
  • motorguy
    typical car owner.

Buys a brand new diesel car over a petrol for £20K because they could save £300 per annum on fuel.

Then wants to sell said diesel which they bought for £20K becauce the residents parking and road tax is going up £100 a year.

I think you're being harsh.

The O/P wasnt asking about currently - they are concerned about what might happen in the future relative to the bottom dropping out of the market for diesels.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    typical car owner.

The vast majority of car owners will buy a car without fully thinking it through, there are so many factors to consider that most end up buying based on input from their friends/family............. What else could possibly explain someone buying a Fiat? :rotfl:
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure