Council tax and equita bailiff

2»

Comments

• fawd1
    fawd1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    try sending this letter, to both the council and the bailiffs. Obviously change corresponding parts. Worked for me back in the day when I was a bit silly about these things.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have received a letter from yourselves on the 15/4/09 in regards to the outstanding council tax bill. This letter was hand delivered to me by your representative Mr ******.

As you will see from below, I have responded to you in regards to both of these matters and have yet to hear a response from you in regards to either one. My response to the £**** bill was sent to your offices at this e-mail address on the *******. Since then I have heard nothing acknowledging my correspondence, but continue to have your representatives chase me for this payment. Equally, an offer of payment was made in regards to the £**** payment, to which again no response was ever received. With this letter I sent a statement of earnings both electronically and later to your address in *****. Again no acknowledgment or response to my offer has ever been made. A copy of both of these e-mails has been pasted below for your records.

In light of this, I will ask you once again to accept my offer of payment at the rate of £** per calender month to be paid on the 30th of every month. If you cannot do this, I will ask you to send my case back to the council so that I may deal with them in this regard. As stated in my earlier correspondence, I will not deal with any bailiffs that arrive at my door and I find Mr ****** comment that he will arrive at my address before 6am to enforce this order against me to border on the threatening. A copy of this e-mail will be sent to *****County Council to ensure that all correspondence between us is now monitored and can be dealt with accordingly.

I look forward to your timely reply

Like I say this worked for me. The council then called the bailiffs office and told them that they must take the offer. This was despite the fact that previously they had told me they couldn't do anything once it was with the bailiffs. Worth a shot.

I should point out also I sent this electronically with a notification when read so I could verify to the council if needs be that it had been received by all parties.
  • hallowitch
    hallowitch Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    your council use a firm called Capita to administrate there council tax capita own a bailiff firm called Equita

post on this forum they are well used to dealing Birmingham council http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=2705395
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
  • I had the same problem myself with Equita. There is a bailiff ombudsman that you can write to, it was too late for me because the bailiff threatened to take the goods from my home whether I was in or not so I got a loan and paid them. The bailiff took more than he should of and I was able to get some money back from them. It was the council who suggested the ombudsman for the bailiff if I wanted to take the matter further. Hope this helps:)
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Communicate with the bailiffs in writing by recorded delivery. They wrote to you, write to them.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport