Watching BBC Iplayer abroad

Options

Comments

• djmurray
    Options
    I've found a standard VPN service is the best way to go although it can be difficult to find one with consistent speeds and quality for iplayer. There are some useful tips explaining how to choose a VPN provider here .. watchuktvabroad.org
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    can any one point me towards setting up a private proxy/forwarding set up for this type use ??????

Ralph:cool:
  • danmoss79
    Options
    I've been using LAPTOPTELLY on the VPN connection thingy on my iPad for the BBC iPlayer content. Seems to stream pretty well, most of the other channels channel 4 etc work on it aswell
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    Install 'media hint' onto your browser of choice.
    It's free and allows you to watch iplayer without any hassle or additional fees, as if you were in the UK.

You're welcome.
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    Install 'media hint' onto your browser of choice.
    It's free and allows you to watch iplayer without any hassle or additional fees, as if you were in the UK.

You're welcome.

And how will it work?
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stefano wrote: »
    And how will it work?

Well it does work, I use it to watch some American TV websites that without Media Hint say I'm not in the correct country.

I suggest trying it!

A search will show that it works for many TV players although I've not yet tried BBC Iplayer in the US,

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    And how will it work?

It routes requests for certain sites through proxy servers. However as far as I know the developers don't publish a list of the site it works for or the proxy server addresses, so it could be considered a security risk. Probably not a good idea to run it when accessing anything sensitive.
  • stefano
    Options
    Well it does work, I use it to watch some American TV websites that without Media Hint say I'm not in the correct country.

I suggest trying it!

A search will show that it works for many TV players although I've not yet tried BBC Iplayer in the US,

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/

It's official. This Mozilla add on really works. I am currently in Italy and happily catching up on QI, And J.Bishop's Britain
  • spannerzone
    Options
    It's official. This Mozilla add on really works. I am currently in Italy and happily catching up on QI, And J.Bishop's Britain

Thanks for confirming- I use this to view US programming and with careful use of Adblock I can also get no commercials :D

Worth noting the MediaHint really does slow down things like opening pages (presumably when you go somewhere it intercepts and checks to see if it needs to do its magic) - so I disable MediaHint when not using it which is easy to do.

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • stefano
    Options
    But if your default browser is Firefox, it really is a simple add on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts