Money for South Africa

Just looking for suggestions. I am off to South Africa at the end of August. I am volunteering for a month on a game reserve near Kruger. I won't need a lot of cash on the reserve but will need some for my days off - one day a week. Keeping cash safe will be difficult. I have a Nationwide Credit Card for bigger payments and purchases but that is no help for when I need cash. I will be about an hour from the nearest big town/bank. Any ideas/recommendations gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 8:52PM
    Each time I go to South Africa it gets easier and easier to find places which accept card payment. This will be especially true in and near tourist hotspots.

Your money will go a long way in South Africa (think £3.50 for a McDonalds Meal deal or a good quality steak for £10-12) so you won't need much. If you are worried, the safest option is to carry little and use your card as much as you can
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It may also be worth pointing out that it is their winter and you should expect 4 seasons in one day. In the western cape I've seen days go from shorts and t shirt weather to fleecy pjs and a hot water bottle by night.

You'll need a travel adaptor too. It looks like a 3 pin european plug but with much fatter pins.

Apologies if stating the obvious with the above.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,245
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ask Nationwide: they offer a range of cards, some of which allow fee-free cash withdrawals (but are part of a 'premium' account with a monthly fee).
  • My Step daughter did this in April (South Africa, volunteered on a game reserve. She took a Revolut card as myself and her mum have used one for some time now - made life very easy.
  • Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like it might be more straight forward than I thought. I'll look at the Revolut card too. Thanks
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like it might be more straight forward than I thought. I'll look at the Revolut card too. Thanks

I have and use when abroad (and in the U.K.) the trinity of good cards to travel with-

Revolut
    Monzo
    Starling

All are free and offer the MasterCard interbank exchange rate. Revolut and Monzo have a £200pcm free ATM withdrawal limit, Starling doesn't. I would recommend all of them! Apply today and the accounts are live instantly and you'll have the physical debit cards by mid week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure