National Trust

Hi,

Anyone have a voucher for national trust yearly family membership. It is currently £120/year and thought I would ask first before I bought it

thanks in advance Paul

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Join the Maltese National Trust...... Much cheaper and you get reciprocal entry.
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Or join the Scottish national trust :)
  • £50 pa if you join the New Zealand National trust - gives free entry for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) to all NT properties excluding Wakehurst Place and also all English Heritage Properties.
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    I don't think the above mentioned memberships include a parking pass.
  • sn1987a
    sn1987a Posts: 453 Forumite
    Some national trust places have free parking anyway. People are selling their passes on eBay so even after buying a parking pass it would still be cheaper.

I would like to know if anyone had any problems using the New Zealand pass here.
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Scottish National trust is cheaper and gives you parking + all access to english NT places
  • sn1987a
    sn1987a Posts: 453 Forumite
    Vet wrote: »
    Scottish National trust is cheaper and gives you parking + all access to english NT places

the free parking is only for the Scotish NT sites according to their webpage.

So far it looks like the NZ NT pass is better deal as it includes NT sites in England and English Heritage sites but no parking.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sn1987a wrote: »
    the free parking is only for the Scotish NT sites according to their webpage.

That is interesting. Until relatively recently they were insisting that Scottish parking permit was valid at English sites, although there were frequent reports about it not being accepted!

So, assuming no free parking in England is how it has been settled, those wanting to join as cheaply as possible may as well look to Malta or Bermuda!

I note too that those aged 60+ can join immediately at the reduced rate in Scotland whereas you need five years full rate membership first in England.
  • japitts
    japitts Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We travel between Scotland & rUK extensively, use reciprocal membership across both "countries" but all have NTS membership for various reasons - cost being one, but there are others.

As far as parking goes, NT seem nailed very firmly to having a barcode on your membership card which scans in the pay&display machines and prints a ticket. NTS use car stickers, and amusingly NT cite sticker abuse as one reason for using the P&D option.

We've never had a problem with free parking at NT sites, but we have noticed a difference in attitude towards reciprocal rights by each trust. You go to an NTS site and they are quite open about "free NTS & NT", yet NT sites very noticeably make no mention of NTS. It's as if NT are quite happy to reactively accept reciprocal rights, but have a policy of not advertising that such things exist.

And as an aside, that attitude to reciprocality is one of the reasons why we use NTS - but that's a whole other argument.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    sn1987a wrote: »
    Some national trust places have free parking anyway. People are selling their passes on eBay so even after buying a parking pass it would still be cheaper.

I would like to know if anyone had any problems using the New Zealand pass here.

had mine 3 years now, no problems at all, the family one we used for 3 kids and 2 adults without problems when we took our kids friend along with us
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure