PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants more money

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There is (much) more info on S8 Ground 1 notices here:
    https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/information/ground-1-notice

The short answer is that the notice cannot take effect during the fixed term. But, be prepared to get a notice demanding the property back at the end of the fixed term.

It would be fair to the LL to say now, in writing, that you did not consent to a shortening of the term of the latest tenancy agreement from 12 months to 6. Say in your letter that you would not have agreed to that because of the kids' schooling.

It would be tactically wrong simply to wait until you get the notice to leave in 3 months time. Apart from anything else, if it goes to court, the judge will be unimpressed. Also, the LL needs to realise that he cannot get you out in December, so he can plan his life accordingly.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I understand its been explained but i am worried, i have called shelter and they seem to think he is within his rights to serve a section 21 and give me 2 months notice.
    However is has to be written, we just had a phone call from the agents.

I needed to know for definite, as if he can take the house in november i will be less than a month off having my baby, so this needs to be sorted.

Which bit of, you'll still be there come 2019 was not clear?

Even if he serves notice in writing today, that is already half way through November. Then it takes 6 weeks to go to court and another 6 for bailiffs.

Instead of worrying why don't you do as I suggested and agree in exchange for money...
  • Comms69
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    There is (much) more info on S8 Ground 1 notices here:
    https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/information/ground-1-notice

The short answer is that the notice cannot take effect during the fixed term. But, be prepared to get a notice demanding the property back at the end of the fixed term. - Also Ground 1 is only valid if prior to commencement of the tenancy the Landlord advised that he/she may require possession for use as a personal residence.

It would be fair to the LL to say now, in writing, that you did not consent to a shortening of the term of the latest tenancy agreement from 12 months to 6. Say in your letter that you would not have agreed to that because of the kids' schooling. - No, say nothing. There's NO benefit to this.

It would be tactically wrong simply to wait until you get the notice to leave in 3 months time. Apart from anything else, if it goes to court, the judge will be unimpressed. Also, the LL needs to realise that he cannot get you out in December, so he can plan his life accordingly.
    The judge wouldn't be impressed with what exactly?
  • CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    From what youve told us you have a fixed 12 month contract and they cannot make you leave until that the end of that fixed term.

If the landlord needs to move back in by November, then suggest they pay you to move as it would be a great inconvenience (say 5k) I'm sure they will change their mind pretty quickly!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2018 at 3:02PM
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I understand its been explained but i am worried, i have called shelter and they seem to think he is within his rights to serve a section 21 and give me 2 months notice.
    However is has to be written, we just had a phone call from the agents.

I needed to know for definite, as if he can take the house in november i will be less than a month off having my baby, so this needs to be sorted.

If you have explained to Shelter exactly what you have explained to us here then I am amazed that you were advised your landlord could serve a valid Section 21 now. Either you have misheard what Shelter told you or you have explained a completely different scenario to them.

We've told you, repeatedly, what our thoughts on the matter are based on the information you have provided and the law, either you accept it is correct or you do not. It is pointless to keep reiterating the same facts over and over again.
  • GDB2222
    Comms69 wrote: »
    The judge wouldn't be impressed with what exactly?

If the tenant left the agent with the impression that the tenant had agreed to the 6 months term being put in the document, and the LL pays for a hotel room for a month, expecting to get the property back in December, the judge is likely to be sympathetic.

It is obviously wise to avoid that.

You'd want to check the law on Estoppel by Convention, for example.
  • Pixie5740
    If the tenant left the agent with the impression that the tenant had agreed to the 6 months term being put in the document, and the LL pays for a hotel room for a month, expecting to get the property back in December, the judge is likely to be sympathetic.

It is obviously wise to avoid that.

What is this horse manure? The OP signed a new 12 month fixed term contract. The landlord, or an agent acting on his behalf, signed a new 12 month fixed term contract. What impression the landlord may have formed in his mind is irrelevant because there is a legally binding contract in black & white.
  • Comms69
    If the tenant left the agent with the impression that the tenant had agreed to the 6 months term being put in the document, and the LL pays for a hotel room for a month, expecting to get the property back in December, the judge is likely to be sympathetic. - No. The judge will act exactly as the law prescribes, which is the correct eviction procedure. Given a s.21 eviction is no fault, there is no fault to be attributed.

It is obviously wise to avoid that. - And wise to avoid the nonsense you're providing too it seems

No. Sorry, no. That is not how tenancy law works.

OP ignore this nonsense
  • GDB2222
    Could someone explain to me the advantage to the OP of NOT explaining to the agent that the OP is sticking to the 12 months contract term?
  • Pixie5740
    Could someone explain to me the advantage to the OP of NOT explaining to the agent that the OP is sticking to the 12 months contract term?

The OP has already pointed out to the letting agent that there is a 12 month fixed term in place. What more needs pointing out to them? They are the ones who drafted the the contract after all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure