Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 13
  • helen jelly
    NickJW - well done - thats fantastic

KitchenBunny - you can buy oven shelves that fit any size oven [think Lakeland do them or somewhere like that]

DH bought a couple of bits yesterday - must get the receipt from him
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • jinky67
    KitchenBunny - you can buy oven shelves that fit any size oven [think Lakeland do them or somewhere like that]
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    EBAY, I got 3 from there, very fast service indeed
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
  • M0neysav3r
    i have never done a link before so here goes ---> 4wk meal plan
    it is a really good chance to try new recipes. and if you are stuck for inspiration there are threads on mse where people post their weekly plans so if you do a quick search you should find one of them. HTH.
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf
    Well Done - I couldn't do a link

Thankyou for directing me too, It's a nice selection of meals there, I'm thinking i'll meal plan for 2 weeks and then increase to 3, then 4.
    Even when I weekly plan something always comes up, like today we were supposed to have chilli but came home from my mums with mashed pots, and loads of veg (they're going on holiday) along with milk, coffee and OJ So we ended up having that so the chilli will get pushed til tomorrow.
    I've had a NSD today too, free lunch out, lots of leftovers to take home and for the freezer so real thrifty day

Oh on another positive - the breadmaker worked!!! DH is V.impressed too which is a huge plus as he used to be a baker so is quite fussy with his bread
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 2nd Mar 11, 7:11 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Spent £38.36 in T*sco today, first shop of the new month...
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • Hippeechiq
    Thanks for all the recipes MrsM they look lovely Your Cheese & Onion Fryits are a firm favourite of ours now - unbelievably scrummy
    Well done on paying all your debt off Nick - a celebratory drink must be in order, surely
    i made pastry last night for my chicken pie, 8 0z flour ( basic mr t)
    2 0z lard and 2 oz marg, all whizzed in mixer and cold water added then chilled in fridge, so sounds exactly same as you had no complaints at dinner last night,
    Originally posted by l.m.hart
    Thanks for that l.m.hart Doesn't look like flour is to blame then.
    Pastry: 8oz plain flour, 4oz butter, pinch of salt, splash of cold water. I roll it to fit in quiche tin, cover and rest in fridge 30mins then chuck fillings in and bake. I cba baking blind. With my leftover pastry trimmings I add some grated cheese and dried sage, roll out, cut into cute rounds, brush with milk and bake. Very nice. DD loves them in her packed lunch box. HTH
    Originally posted by Chloris
    Thanks for the suggestion Chloris - like the sound of what you do with your trimmings too
    By the way, someone raised a question about shortcrust pastry - mine was really ropy but then I started using a different kind of cooking fat. I switched to something like Cookeen and that works really well for me.
    Originally posted by Kitchenbunny
    Thanks for the replies re the shortcrust pastry - no definitive answer then, other than it doesn't appear to be the flour at fault.
    KitchenBunny do you use all C00keen? Having used ½ Lard ½ Marge for 25years, I can't quite get my head round using all Marge/Butter. I need to get it sorted though, as my pastry used to melt as soon as it hit your mouth and I'm really not enjoying this break-your-teeth pastry malarky.

NSD again here -been totally shattered today and yesterday, so up to 2 NSDs already
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 02-03-2011 at 7:37 PM.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 2nd Mar 11, 7:34 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I didn't end up putting i my asd@ order last night, did it just now, and I'm glad I waited another day. I took off a fair bit of meat that I won't be using in March, and added in things I'd forgotten, like toothpaste and salad! I'm really excited (SAD!) about this month's challenge. With an AP order I received from last month, and this order, I'm doing really well, and my decision to stay out of the sms and use stuff up WILL work! I have a co0p round the corner which I don't class as a sm, as I couldn't swing my cat in there, so I'll be walking(!) round the corner if and when I need the odd thing before my next online order. Have already started it, as I know I will need cat food at that point in the month, and I figure it must be better to add stuff as I go, as I've already saved about £30 on this order from stuff that I though I needed!

So, 2 nsds so far, will count the asd@ shop as a spend tomorrow when it comes. It's quite nice seeing my fridge looking a bit barer - wish I could say the same for every other part of my kitchen!

Mrs M - nice recipes! Thanks for those. May put them into April, as March all planned and bought for!

Night all, I'm off to feel sorry for myself - migraine,
    PG x

eta - Well done NickJW!!!!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 2nd Mar 11, 7:45 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    i just did a te$co order online for monday with everything i need to do me til the end of the month it was just inder £63 but i'll wait til it comes, i have to go to iceland for a few bits and lidl for the on offer butter then thats me done except for a few wee bits for the month
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd Mar 11, 7:52 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Well done NickJW, it's a great feeling isn't it?

NSD for me today and I am managing to stick to the meal plan which is a first. DH seems to be constantly hungry at the moment so I need to make some snacks for when he gets in and to pad out his packed lunch. He does not have a sweet tooth stuff so if I put cake or biscuits in he will eat it the first day and then leave it the rest. He gets very busy at work so if I give him stuff that needs nukeing it often comes home untouched. I sometimes give him soup in a flask but I need to find some extra things to chuck in. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking mini pasties but that's as far as I got

I will need to shop again either tomorrow or Friday. I made DS (10 months) a load of meals for the freezer and realised tonight that they are nearly all gone so I need to the stuff to replace these and some fresh bits for us including lunch things for my first week at work in 14 months next week
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    spent £2 today on some chear up chocolate... was cheap for the amount i got, dont do cadbury's any more but the chocolate factory offcuts so my £2 was on thorntons chocs but more volume than cadburys so quids in plus got 6 seconds of walnut whips with the walnuts for a £1 they are something rediculus like 60 or 70p each in the corner shop nowMust make the £40 last now tho just made 7 meals for the freezer so that should help.
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • supersally01
    Got home tonight to find that twinks hobnobs that i made yesterday were all gone!!! never mind, was given some HM organic flour by someone at work, so will make more!!! Had to get money out of the bank for collections at work, and got DD a bottle of h20 for school, had enough for sandwiches at home. Will go to L!dl tomorrow for their march madness offers! They look good, so hope to stock up. Decided to do a local butchers order for this weeks meat. I think it will be about £35, and we have meat for nearly every meal. If we don't use it, it will do next week or/ and a freezer meal. Hope to spend no more than £35 in L!DL, so will account for the £20 I took out. Am interested in any home delivery meats that may work out cheaper in bulk buys.
    Loving the recepies, may have to give them a go this month. Still using the slow cooker, but had made a lasagne tonight that was prepared then frozen. DD got it out this AM, then put it in the oven at 5, and it was a hit! No HM garlic bread left, but it was enough for the three of them as I was at work. I really like the pizza flour from L!DL, as it rises well, and does not have that yeasty flavour that you sometimes get with non bread mixes. I hope to get more this week, works out 18p per garlic bread/pizza.
    anyway, enough rambling!
    Have a good week all!
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 2nd Mar 11, 9:37 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 20,252 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    KitchenBunny do you use all C00keen? Having used ½ Lard ½ Marge for 25years, I can't quite get my head round using all Marge/Butter. I need to get it sorted though, as my pastry used to melt as soon as it hit your mouth and I'm really not enjoying this break-your-teeth pastry malarky.
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    Hi Hippeechiq, yes I do use just the one type of marg - never thought to use half marg/half lard to be honest. I made it tonight and it was nice and melting. I don't know what to suggest really. My go-to recipe is from a student cookbook and is 200g flour to 125g fat, mixed with a little water. I've not had problems with it yet, touch wood.

HTH

KB xx

• NickJW
    • By NickJW 2nd Mar 11, 9:39 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Thanks everyone! It does feel good, and I will go out for a few drinks next week - I've booked a cheap train 2 night break to York (somewhere else in the UK I've never been to!) for £65 including train tickets. I do love my holidays, so I'll be going on more of them (All Old Style of course - you can't go back once you've tried it!), now I have extra money.

I do need to start saving as well - for a rainy day fund, and also a long term pension as well
    Going to keep at the GC to keep me on the straight and narrow.
    Anyway - not so good spends to report today - but it was all toiletries (shampoo, face wash, toothpaste, mouthwash on 3 for 2 deals) in Boots - £13.79.

There are so many good recipes to keep track of at the moment. I've got a binder full of printed recipes for ease of access, but I still stick to my regular meals. I feel the urge to get more adventurous with my meal planning this month!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • rosieben
    Right I will leave it there before Rosieben belts me for creating more work (sorry Rosiben )
    Off to update the list.... and I will be quiet now
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER

you're forgiven MrsM fab recipes! I've already added a couple into the start of my next month's meal plan cheese and bacon anything is lush!

just off to add added them to the recipe index; we have a nice selection of SW recipes so I'll sort them into a section of their own when I tidy the list
    Last edited by rosieben; 02-03-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben
    Happy St Davids day to those who celebrate it...I did my bit my having lamb stew

I paid off ALL of debt today - such a good feeling!
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Sorry Nick I missed this earlier well done you!!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • youngmummy
    NSD for me today. we're abit skint atm, oh well as long as the bills are paid theres a roof over our head food on the table and clothes on our backs thats the main thing. anyway just gonna finish this cuppa then im off to bed x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
    • castri09
    • By castri09 3rd Mar 11, 5:52 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    castri09
    can you put me down for £50 this month slowly getting through the freezer
  • scotsaver
    Got home tonight to find that twinks hobnobs that i made yesterday were all gone!!!
    Originally posted by supersally01
    supersally - when I make mine I use a rounded TBSP from my measuring spoons, put the mix into a bun tray and flatten it down, this way I get about 50 biscuits and they rise nicely in the oven giving you a good sized biscuit which is quite thick. I leave about a dozen out at a time and freeze the rest and remove when we need to top up.

Thanks everyone! It does feel good, and I will go out for a few drinks next week - I've booked a cheap train 2 night break to York (somewhere else in the UK I've never been to!) for £65 including train tickets. I do love my holidays, so I'll be going on more of them (All Old Style of course - you can't go back once you've tried it!), now I have extra money.
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Nick - I think you'll like York, we've been loads of times over the years, lots of sightseeing opportunities, lots of shops, restaurants and nice coffee shops and bars and a decent Market.

Should be a NSD today as I don't plan to go out, got a friend coming for coffee.

Dinner tonight will be Oxtail Stew in the slow cooker, using the Oxtail from DR so interested to see how it compares with the last one I made using Oxtail from the local Butcher, the stew was just swimming in fat.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Mothership
    supersally - when I make mine I use a rounded TBSP from my measuring spoons, put the mix into a bun tray and flatten it down, this way I get about 50 biscuits and they rise nicely in the oven giving you a good sized biscuit which is quite thick. I leave about a dozen out at a time and freeze the rest and remove when we need to top up.

Nick - I think you'll like York, we've been loads of times over the years, lots of sightseeing opportunities, lots of shops, restaurants and nice coffee shops and bars and a decent Market.

Should be a NSD today as I don't plan to go out, got a friend coming for coffee.

Dinner tonight will be Oxtail Stew in the slow cooker, using the Oxtail from DR so interested to see how it compares with the last one I made using Oxtail from the local Butcher, the stew was just swimming in fat.

Have a good day everyone.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    I wouldn't mind the recipe for your oxtail stew, I've got some from DR as well I've never made it before , but my granny did.

Well done Nick on clearing off your debt, hope you have a lovely holiday
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Candy Belle
    Morning!

Congrats NickJW on being debt free! Can't wait till the day I can say that!

Few spends from yesterday

Sainsbugs £8.12 2xBags of ultra clumping cat litter

Bodycarp £1.05 - 2 Handwashes

Off to update siggy! Have a good day everyone! x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
    • pixie1
    • By pixie1 3rd Mar 11, 6:49 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    pixie1
    Well ive brought a bread roll for hubs lunch tomorrow @ 60c and a box of diet coke.

All i need to get me through the weekend is a pack of breakfast muffins and some mustard so thankkfully i will have a cheap weekend.

Pix
    Debt Free At Last!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

893Posts Today

7,314Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin