American Express Discussion Area

Comments

• arbitrajeu
    arbitrajeu Posts: 114 Forumite
    DS don't know what you're talking about  ::) - the article says if you spend over £6k a year then you're better off on blue amex

(even MSE's occassionally make wee calculation errors on quickly noted updates  ;) )
    I think you meant to say that if you spend over £6k per year you are better off on Platinum Amex, didn't you? Or you meant if you spend under £6k per year you are better off on Blue...
  • dark_star_3
    dark_star_3 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    All sorted now thanx ;D
    I'm only here for the banter
  • kbeattie
    kbeattie Posts: 19 Forumite
    Seeing all the stats in this post, let me state the facts regarding the tier structure of the Amex Platinum:

up to £2K earns 0.5%
    £2K - £5K earns 1%
    £5K+ earns 2%

I have had an Amex Platinum for over a year now and spent over £14000 with them last year. I got a cashback of £284 i.e. 2% of it ALL; not 0.5% for the first £2K; not 1% for the next £3K.

I had already confirmed this with Amex when I first got the card.

It's a great card and most of the big stores take it. Boots is the only exception.

I was lucky to get an invite and am making the most of it.

I don't know if these has been made known before but when you carry out a BT from it and all other reward cards, you don't lose the rewards.

The BT is treated as a payment; not a refund.
  • arbitrajeu
    Thanks kbeattie, that's cleared that one up. Great news, and it sounds like a great card. Perhaps I will apply for one, just in case they'll accept me (on the same day I just paid for a transatlantic flight on my 0.5% cashback card :()
  • mrtickle
    mrtickle Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seeing all the stats in this post, let me state the facts regarding the tier structure of the Amex Platinum:

up to £2K earns 0.5%
    £2K - £5K earns 1%
    £5K+ earns 2%  

I have had an Amex Platinum for over a year now and spent over £14000 with them last year. I got a cashback of £284 i.e. 2% of it ALL; not 0.5% for the first £2K; not 1% for the next £3K.

Aha! Thankyou! That explains why I was confused when, after the young lady at the sign-up stand told me it was a full 2%, I got home and read the T&C and thought she'd lied. I'd managed to skip over the word "aggregate" which they use 4 times in the part with the different rates! :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

up to £2K earns 0.5%
    £2K - £5K earns 1%
    £5K+ earns 2%  

I had already confirmed this with Amex when I first got the card.

I was lucky to get an invite and am making the most of it.

Crikey, I've just seen this. So they apply cashback at whatever level you've reached right back to the first £1 you spend? That's a staggering deal! Surely it's unsustainable? I mean if you travel a lot on business and spend £100k per annum - which must be possible - they're going to be coughing up a Jeffrey a year!

Is this invitation only then? I could probably manage to spend over £6k on an Amex...
  • arbitrajeu
    I'm tempted by one of these Amex's - does anyone know if Sainsbury's/Tesco take Amex? This is the minimum requirement for my wife to use such a card...
  • System
    They certainly do online. I think individual stores vary according to how chavvy the catchment area is.
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    £12.50 is available via greasypalm for an Amex blue card - 2% for two months, 1% thereafter. I piled a few large expenditures into this period and have done very well out of it. I'll be returning to my Capital One circle rebate when the initial period is over though as it's much more widely accepted (I've had problems with Amex at many smaller outlets, no problems at all at Asda, etc).
  • System
    That's more or less where I am with Amex. Once they pay me the £120 they owe me -- in August -- it's back to the 0.8% Accucard.

I'm now hoping though that if I cancel the card they'll offer me one of these 2% jobs instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure