PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• LOUBOB
    LOUBOB Posts: 103 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Another NSD ..... dinner tonight HM veggie patties frozen from Xmas bubble and squeak, and maybe hm egg fried rice...left over from lunch hm sushi for my bento lunch box......???? may go to Mr t's tonight when DS is at his club to look for woopsies as I have never managed to get any as I shop during the day mainly...depends how cold it is!!!! also dont want to give into any temptation!!! have about £9.00 left for this week so fingers crossed going ok.

Didnt go to Mr T's as boys club wasnt on-so officially NSD but need to go to Lidl 2moro for loo rolls!!
    DFW 1108 Proud to be dealing with my debts

:love: 2014Is Going to be the Year...for love...:smileyhea
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I got a few bits and bobs today, including 2lb of clementines for £1 and 6 large coxes apples for 93p. I also got a treat for me and BF. Went to a deli and bought us each a roast pork and apple sauce sandwich (plus BF got stuffing too). This cost £6.70 but it was planned for and tasted absolutely lovely. It also means we won't have a big dinner tonight, maybe just cheese, crackers and some fruit. Have updated sig.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    My approved foods order came today which is fab - I would recommend if you can ignore BB dates but some stuff is in date but came a bit bashed/in Polish ;)
    I had already the £20 to my total but I got:
    24 x cartons (lunch box size) orange juice
    12 x chinese sauce
    2 x cadbury melting choc puds
    2 x boxes 30 cup cakes (yummy)
    10 x Loyd Grossman sachet korma sauces
    4 x mushroom soup
    1 x packet boasters biccies
    1 x huge jar nutella
    24 x packets snack size sun maid raisins (something I would NEVER buy!!)
    2 x Simple facial wipes
    3 x 5pack pringle minis for lunches
    All for £20 inc the del charge, the pasta sauce and nesquick drinks were out of stock which is a shame but they refunded and got it all sent out very quickly!!
    DH is getting milk and rolls tonight (not enough time to make HM rolls :( ) so will add that total later!
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• procrastinator
    Options
    Went to do a smallish Mr T shop and spent 30.00.This is not good and when I look at the receipt there are not so many things I could do wihtout. I bought 8 tins of branston beans as these are the only ones my kids will eat, and always ultra were on offer so 3.00 spent on these but that only accounts for 5.oo. Bought 2 lots of cheese 800grams and 3 pckts of linda mccartey sausages as they were on offer at 1.00 each and DS loves these. No fruit ad only a swede bought for veg. Will go out tomorrow morn and see if I can pick up Aldi spuds at 49p for 5kg ad also their broccoli. Still have onion, carrots and cabbage to use up and some xmas sprouts(dratted things.) Bought bananas will have to try and pick up some apples and oranges/clemintines tomorrow that will further damage the budget. So want to be under this month. Will need to pick up bread and milk in the week. Have updated signature.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • igaveupnowimback
    Options
    Hi queen of string,

Methinks that may be same half price treat I got too - it's working so far but the pot seems to 'crackle' as it's heating and even when it's cooled and I'm washing it. (Tho I only use it as a slo cooker). Need keep an eye on that ..

ps What's a whoopsie hunt? Is it a trip to specifically pick up half price offers etc ? Ta ! :)
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kunekune wrote: »
    sharronej,

just saw your post. I don't have a food processor, unfortunately (well, only a tiny chopping thing, not big enough to make pastry). But it only took 5 minutes anyway, so I'm not sure why I was so nervous!

I think it's perfectly natural to be nervous of doing something for the first time, I don't think it helps that our offerings are then free game for criticism with our nearest and dearest. I also think that trying to stick to these budgets can be stressful at times.

I've trapped a nerve in my neck and tonight I just couldn't have cared less about the budget because I'm in agony, however I managed to get ds1 to put some frozen fish in the oven dd to go and get two portions of chips from the chippy (£2.00) and dh to open a tin of peas :rotfl: So in reflection that's not bad BUT it's taken me over the individual meal budget and has also taken me over my months budget :rolleyes: Before doing this challenge I wouldn't have given it a moments thought yet tonight I'm a bit miffed that I've succumbed to the chippy when I have a 12.5kg of potatoes in the kitchen!

So give yourself a pat on the back and know that each time you make pastry in the future it will get easier and easier. Now that you're a professional I'll pass on a tip my Grandma gave me...put your water in the fridge and make sure that it's icy cold, add a little squeeze of lemon (jif will do) and ALWAYS sieve your flour - the end result is :D
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    good evening...its freezing here and i decided on way home from school i fancied fish and chips and was mentally wrestling with myself in the car all the way home as we had the ingredients for a stirfry anyhow the stir fry won...hurrah...then on reading sharronej's post i feel really lazy as the chips were a fancy not a need....i think u did well there only £2 spent when u in agony well done u.....on the subject of pastry i always use chilled water im going to try the lemon juice ....im making chicken pie on sun as we are having a roast dinner tomorrow....hopefully that will be good....have a nice weekend tess
    onwards and upwards
  • newlifeahead
    Options
    My update for this week.

Total spend so far £47.07. I have 2 days left to the start of next weeks budget. Hope for 2 nsd other wise I only have £2.93 to last me.

Had an email today from Tesco for a £40 ecoupon. Also had a £10 Ecoupon a few weeks ago. So I shall be doing next weeks shopping online.

Will try and do a meal plan tomorrow for next week to use the coupons wisely.

One week down 3 more to go :D

GC £47.07 / 200
    Smile loan - £2821.98 / £0:)
    Lloyds CC - £3102.54 / £3071.51
    B'Card - £7615.65 / £7444.30
    Bank of mom - £6000 / £6000
    28/02/17 £ 19,540.17 / £16515.81 05/04/17
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Been out to buy a water bottle to refill to take juice to work instead of buying coke and coffee all the time am trying best to cut back so far so good. dink
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Sharonej, I hope you enjoyed your chippy chips, sounds like you are in a bad way so I wouldn't feel guilty at all, if it were me I may have ended up letting dh order a pizza which would be much more damaging to the finances...

I know home made chips are heavenly but chippy chips are just soooo scrummy and I can never stop eating them till they are all gone.....(not good for the waistline obviously)

anyway managed to be in profit today with the budget!! I took the nappies back to mrT that they had delivered last night (I had ordered reduced ones and they sent a similar pack but not reduced and not only that the pack they sent I could have paid out an extra few quid and got a 2nd pack!!) so took them back as needed petrol anyway (and t's are doing double points on petrol) and picked up the pack I originally ordered 1.66 cheaper and more in them!! so with that saving and just the 75p spend on 4 cans of branston beans I was really pleased (am wondering if I am a bit sad for this :rotfl: )

Anyway well done all you all sound like you are doing great
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts