Do i have grounds to claim for a HB underpayment from lat July?

chris112
chris112 Posts: 127 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 13 April 2019 at 3:34PM in Disability money matters
so on 9/7/18 i moved property that was only one mile away but as it crossed an invisible border i was now under a new council
i contacted my previous council informing them i was moving address around 2 weeks before moving out

as the town remained the same on my address i was oblivious of this change of councils until i received a generic letter rom the new council addressed to 'the occupier' about a council tax bill, a month after moving in

so i then went through the process of applying for my benefits (HB + ESA) with the new council, which after having my application/evidence returned was told i now apply for UC, which i done

However, upon checking, the 1st council had stopped paying me HB from 28/6/18 and after asking they said because they apparently wrote to me but i didnt reply - i never received any letter like this before moving out

so these 11 days before moving out without housing benefit meant me losing £333
i know its been 9 months since i left the previous council but do i have any grounds to get these unpaid monies?

if it was the other way around and they learnt they overpaid me £333, 9 months later, im certain the council would enforce repayment

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    Have you had to pay this £333 to a landlord or is it just housing benefit that you didn't receive ?
  • chris112
    chris112 Posts: 127 Forumite
    its housing benefit i didnt receive (as my account was closed prematurely), which would have gone towards my rent (i pay rent every 6 months)

- my 100% council tax discount was stopped at the same time as the HB, but ESA continued
    a few weeks after moving out i got a call from the 1st council saying i owed £40 in council tax, which i had to pay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure