PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quickie,
    What can I cook/bake with lots of yoghurt (some flavoured)?
    We will never get through it all before we go on hols but don't want to waste.
    Would really like recipe for anything I can freeze.
    Thanks.
    PS DS playing up today hence me asking here instead of spending tiome actually looking around :o
    xxx
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    I've got 1 NSD to add on my list, plus £25:37 in MrT, 4:64 Wilkos & 1:99 Greaves from Thurs.

Can anyone else find MrT Value vanilla ice-cream? It keeps disappearing fron our local for days at a time---it's the ice cream that we all like the taste of, so doubly annoying when it's not available:mad:

J Greaves/ Graves--the seeds & stuff shop!--are best price per kilo on glace cherries around here at £4:00; next closest is one of those scoop n weigh @ £4:50...just thought I'd mention it if peeps want to start getting in bits for making crimbo puds & cakes:eek:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• KITTY_2-2
    KITTY_2-2 Posts: 263 Forumite
    Hi folks

Been rather busy lately and youngest currently in hospital so not been paying much attention to my spending. When I have added everything up for last month though, we came in under budget for the first time - £262.64

This month I have reset the budget to £275 - only £5 less than July's target but I'm comfortable at this amount so any savings are a bonus. I'll try to catch up later but not sure I'll manage. I'll just wish everyone good luck with their budgets and log in when I can.

Kitty x
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    :D
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Quickie,
    What can I cook/bake with lots of yoghurt (some flavoured)?
    We will never get through it all before we go on hols but don't want to waste.
    Would really like recipe for anything I can freeze.
    Thanks.
    PS DS playing up today hence me asking here instead of spending tiome actually looking around :o
    xxx

The yogurt cake recipe at the front of the thread? Lots like it - although not our house when I made it!

Can you not just freeze the yogs? I often do - esp for school - that way they stand a chance of being coolish still at lunchtime! If you have a big tub decant into portion sizes in freezer bags and freeze in a box (I have such a tub in my freezer right now :D

Otherwise mix through with fruit (and some condensed milk if you have any for added naughtiness) or broken meringues?

Ooh - raita and freeze it? Or kulfi? Lots of recipes on the net and you can make a big tub and freeze. O for simplicity blitz with fruit and freeze either as ice lollies or in abug tub for yogurt/ fruit ice instead of icecream - yum!

GTx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    YOGURTS:
    you could freeze the flavoured one and have as sorbet on your return. Natural yogs - I made my own gren thai paste for a curry and used this instead of coconut milk. Still tasted fab and considerably lower in cals:D .
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • enlli
    enlli Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hello everyone

Thanks for the welcome. I spent £17.42 yesterday, stocking up on Quorn mince, milk, soy sauce and (:rolleyes: um.....wine!). Bought 250g of Kenco filter in poundland and in 99p stores I got a huge bag of pretzels.

To meet the challenge (there are two of us to feed), the plan for this month is to empty the freezer and cupboard and reap the rewards of growing my own veggies in the garden. I have loads of runner beans, potatoes and courgettes to harvest at the moment.

I'll be out collecting courgettes later and making courgette & chickpea stew for dinner.

Good luck everyone with the challenge.
    Enlli :rolleyes2
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    Thanks for the yog ideas- I did not think to freeze them as they are as thought they might go funny (the same way milk does :o).
    I am gonna make the yoghurt cake at the beginning, although not sure what it means by 'cartons' of certain ingredients ? Anyone shed any light ? My flour etc does not come in cartons :rolleyes:.
    Thankfully DS is a bit happier now (was ready to scream :confused: ), although on his third outfit of the day due to pouring various things on himself. Hoping to get washed and dried though as not wanting to come back home to washing (as we will be bringing dirty stuff back of course!).
    Just need to hoover and sort washing out and maybe then get 10 mins to bake!
    Ta ra for now.
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Please put me down for £200 this month. I sucessfully came in under target for July by £136.69!!!
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hi all

first chance i've had to get on here today

IfOnlyItWasEasier you're hair looks gorgeous!! you're gonna look fab on your wedding day :D

kitty i hope your youngest is better and back home with you soon... sending you (((hugs))) sweetheart

well i've just sat and scoffed 3 more iced buns with a cup of coffee :naughty: so i think i'll have to make some more soon!

took Ruby to the vets this morning for a scan....we could see 3 lickle babies in there, but i have to take her back in 3weeks just before she has them to check everything is ok :j i'm so excited!!

got some tortilla dough and a chicken breast out of the freezer for my tea tonight. DS15 & DS18 aren't home for tea, so i'm just gonna have something quick so there's not much washing up!!

hope everyone's having a good day x
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi there all

have just got back from listing the freezer contents and it took two of us half an hour to do it ,, but at least now it is done,, I nw know what was stuck to the bottom of the freezer,, it was battered fishcakes so we are having them for lunch,, DH says we wont have to buy anything for at least two weeks but I think a month is more like it

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport