Marbles credit card additional payment and direct debit payment

I have a statemented balance on Marbles card of £1127.57 with due date 20 June 2019. Have a DD setup with M&S bank. it's one of the two DD's I have with them to qualify for the £10.00 gift card top-up. Probably strictly not necessary that it pays out, but I'd rather it did just to keep it active.

Anyway, my marbles statement says:
Your Direct Debit of £11.28, excluding any overlimit amount
due, will be taken on or immediately after 20 Jun 2019.
I want to clear the full balance. Today when I went to pay the full balance minus DD amount, which is £1127.57 - £11.28 = £1116.26

there was a message on screen saying:
If you make the payment at least 3 working days before your due date, we will reduce the amount of your direct debit by the same amount.

Does this mean if I make a payment £1116.26 today (17 June 2019), the DD for £11.28 will still be taken on or around 20th June, or does it mean the Direct debit will not be taken because I've made more than the minimum payment?

The marbles FAQ says this:
Your payment must have cleared by the due date that appears on your statement. Please note that if you pay by Direct Debit and make additional payments before your payment due date, your Direct Debit may be reduced.
I've noticed that, if we make payment manually (by debit card) marbles takes the actual payment date to be the transaction date. This I noticed when I made payment to clear balance in April 2019. Balance was £408.29. I made payment by debit card on 02 April 2019. The April statement has transaction with description 'payment', amount = £408.29. Most significantly it has the actual date when i made the payment = 02 April 2019.

So, it seems I can even make the payment for £1116.26 on 19 June 2019 by debit card and it will be fine. That way the DD for £11.28 will be collected and the manual payment can be an additional payment to clear the full balance.

Although, I do feel a bit like playing with fire, leaving payment until last minute. Does anyone know if I make additional payment for £1116.26 today, the DIrect debit will definitely be reduced or would it not be collected at all?

Comments

• OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Take it because I have the DD setup there can never be a late payment fee. If I make a manual debit card payment tomorrow (18 June 2019) and it happens to 'go through' three days later (on 21 June 2019) I will only be charged interest for 1 day. Is this correct?
  • Is the DD only setup to pay the minimum?

Why is it not setup to just take the full amount?
  • OceanSound
    !!! wrote: »
    Is the DD only setup to pay the minimum?

Why is it not setup to just take the full amount?
    It was setup when I had the 0.0% promo rate. So it would have defeated the purpose to set it up to take full payment I guess.

Perhaps I should've changed it to take full payment soon as the promo rate finished.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    OceanSound wrote: »
    If I make a manual debit card payment tomorrow (18 June 2019) and it happens to 'go through' three days later (on 21 June 2019) I will only be charged interest for 1 day. Is this correct?

No.

If you don't clear the balance in full by the due date, you're charged interest on the daily balance of the borrowed amount.
  • OceanSound
    No.

If you don't clear the balance in full by the due date, you're charged interest on the daily balance of the borrowed amount.
    My payment due date is 20 June 2019
    If payment is processed on 21 June 2019

How many days interest is that? 1 day, 2 day, 3 days? Any idea?
    I would say it's one day.
  • [Deleted User]
    It's the period between the date of your previous statement (ie the one a month or so ago) and when you make the payment.

How many days interest is that? I would say a month or so.

Is some of that period at 0% and some at your go to rate?
  • OceanSound
    anyone spot the calculation error in the op?

£1127.57 - £11.28 = £1116.29 not £1116.26
  • OceanSound
    It's the period between the date of your previous statement (ie the one a month or so ago) and when you make the payment.

How many days interest is that? I would say a month or so.

Is some of that period at 0% and some at your go to rate?
    With all due respect, I think you may have the wrong end of the stick.

My April statement balance was £0.00 because I cleared full balance by making payment for £408.29. Payment was made on 02 April 2019 - well before the due date of 18 April 2019 and promo end date of 09 April 2019.

My April statement produced on 24 April 2019 says
    Your new balance 0.00

Please read OP:
    This I noticed when I made payment to clear balance in April 2019. Balance was £408.29. I made payment by debit card on 02 April 2019.
  • [Deleted User]
    And when did the new transactions hit the account? That's the start of the period from which you'll be charged interest if you don't clear in full.
  • OceanSound
    And when did the new transactions hit the account? That's the start of the period from which you'll be charged interest if you don't clear in full.
    If 24 April 2019 statement says £0.00, you should be able to work out that they were after that date.

also, you realize all the transactions were purchases transactions, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure