Has anyone ever asked their boyfriend to marry them?

I've been with my boyfriend for nearly 9 years now and we have a house together.

I turned 30 the other week and as a birthday treat my BF took me away for the weekend.

I was abosultely certain he was going to propose, all the signs were there. But in the end he didn't.

He's always joked saying 'why don't you ask me' and things like that. Now i'm seriously considering it.

Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, they have.
  • Yes, they have.

Well thanks for that.

But I was actually looking for input from someone who had done it themselves.

No need for the sarcasm really is there?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't know, as it wasn't sarcasm.

Plenty of my friends have done it Some successfully, some not.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    I'm male but if I may give you a male's opinion - my wife (and others) kept dropping hints about when we were going to get married but I kept putting it off because I didn't want it to seem that I was only proposing because I was being asked to.

In the end, I proposed because I wanted to and because I love her, not because I felt I needed to.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Well thanks for that.

But I was actually looking for input from someone who had done it themselves.

No need for the sarcasm really is there?

Men ask women
    Men ask men
    Women ask women
    Women ask men.

What input do you need?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • suejb2 wrote: »
    Men ask women
    Men ask men
    Women ask women
    Women ask men.

What input do you need?

Well as its not common for the woman to ask the man, I just wanted to know who else might have done it.

This is after all a forum for advice and support.

But its ok, if wading into other peoples posts with unhelpful comments makes you feel better then you crack on
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes I asked my husband. He said no.... ��
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well as its not common for the woman to ask the man, I just wanted to know who else might have done it.

This is after all a forum for advice and support.

But its ok, if wading into other peoples posts with unhelpful comments makes you feel better then you crack on

Well Im in my mid 50's and it was pretty common around my peers for the women to ask the men to marry

I think waiting on the lad is well away with the ark
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Well Im in my mid 50's and it was pretty common around my peers for the women to ask the men to marry

I think waiting on the lad is well away with the ark
    Indeed it is, Suki.

I remember reading a thread called something like 'how did you stay sane waiting for a proposal' and couldn't believe half of the posts.

OP - if you want to get married, ask him.
  • I asked my boyfriend in April. I'd been thinking about it for months and had thought of some more elaborate ways of proposing but in the end it just came out over the kitchen table. It would have been nice to have a cute story to tell but ultimately that was the time that felt right to me. He said yes, and was happy to be asked. I made him an impromptu ring from easter egg foil and then later we picked a ring for me and split the cost 50/50.

I'd say go for it, I found it very empowering and had a great reaction from almost everyone I've told (only a few older people with quips about leap years and who wears the trousers etc.)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport