Car finance ...bad credit..need a car

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 December 2019 at 7:38PM
    I think we should recognise why this young woman appears to give such a waspish answer. She is a single parent of two disabled children and, however much she loves them, at times her life must be absolute hell. Please have a little sympathy.
    I would like to ask you, Happydays3, about your children, if you would answer.
    What form does their disability take?
    What reason were you given for not being granted Higher Rate of Motability?
    Did you make more than one claim, and did you keep records of those claims?
    Can you return to those claims and try again?
    If you have a GP or a consultant who knows your children and their problems, can you ask their support?
    The fact is that you can return to a PIP or DLA claim and it will be back dated to the date of the first claim. Try to contact CAB and put all the evidence to them in an interview. They will help.
    I wish you a great deal of luck and I recognise your struggle. My own claim was a long time ago, and it took 13 months of making myself a b****y nuisance, but I kept going and I won. You and your children have my sympathy, please keep trying. If you did get a loan, you would only be in more debt.

EDIT: I found this, which might help you get a grant:
    https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/information/managing-money-and-debt/turn2us-grants-search/
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • fwor wrote: »
    Neither Freegle nor Freecycle allow people to post a "Wanted" for a car.

That's because they both have the objective of keeping stuff out of landfill, and recycling facilities for genuinely dead cars are considered to be better than "DIY recycling" (which generally ends up with oil and brake fluid being spilled and aircon systems being illegally discharged).

I have 100% seen cars being given away on my local site. It may not be within the rules but there you go!

here are all of my local group rules

All things posted must be FREE and LEGAL

No wanted posts for animals

No offers of cats, dogs, rabbits etc.

No swaps or loans.

No medicines

No weapons
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    being given away

You can give away as many cars as you like - but you are not ~supposed~ to be able to "Want" one. It's one of the rules that Freegle "inherited" from Freecycle, though every group in Freegle is free to set its own rules, within reason.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    fwor wrote: »
    You can give away as many cars as you like - but you are not ~supposed~ to be able to "Want" one. It's one of the rules that Freegle "inherited" from Freecycle, though every group in Freegle is free to set its own rules, within reason.

I can absolutely guarantee you that was never in the rules. I have been runing a freecycle group from it's inception in my area. What we do say, is please don't ak for high value items. An old banger is not a high value item. And I have also seen cars and vans being given away and asked for.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I know of no companies that can help.

If you have no savings then unlikely you will be able to afford a loan.

Leave it 6 months before applying for any more credit as it will be an instant no. If you get accepted for any sort of credit you will be paying very high interest and more than likely get yourself into a worse position.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 16 December 2019 at 1:44PM
    -taff wrote: »
    I can absolutely guarantee you that was never in the rules.

I don't think you can - because prior to the creation of Freegle, every Freecycle group was able to set its own rules. Some groups may have had that rule, and some may not.

I ran a Freecycle group prior to the creation of Freegle, and this is one line from the member's handbook from that group when it was hosted on Yahoo Groups:
    11. Please do not post wanted messages for motor vehicles.

So... some groups may allow, and some may not. Personally I would not allow a Wanted post for a motor vehicle on our Freegle group - but I don't mind if members want to offer one.

Anyway - apologies to BrassicWoman for the near-irrelevance to this thread. I'm a believer in the strength of Freegle as a place to offer stuff rather than a place to tell everyone what you want, and that tends to make me overreact when people suggest placing a Wanted post on Freegle/Freecyle!
  • Robisere wrote: »
    I think we should recognise why this young woman appears to give such a waspish answer. She is a single parent of two disabled children and, however much she loves them, at times her life must be absolute hell. Please have a little sympathy.

Equally, someone's circumstances don't entitle them to be rude to those who are simply trying to help. It does work both ways. :)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Someone above flags something that may provide a key here - how much are you able to afford per month for finance for a car happydays3? Combined with the question about whether you need a replacement car *right now* or whether you can hang on a short while, if the answer there is it could wait 6 months, and you are able to put £230 a month, let's say., to car finance, then save that money and in 6 months time you have a little over £1300 to spend on a car - you then purchase a vehicle within that budget, and assume that will last you for another couple of years. During that couple of years, you continue to put aside that £230 a month each month - some of it will pay for maintenance on the replacement vehicle, and the balance then gets stashed aside for when a furthyer replacement is needed.

Good advice above also on not continuing to apply for further credit now having just been turned down - it will compound the situation. The MSE Credit club can be helpful in showing you what you may or may not be eligible for, if you are determined that a loan is the way forwards for you.

The other very key bit of advice above as far as I am concerned is that if you are currently not able to save anything at all then getting a loan really might worsen the situation you are in.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Happydays3 wrote: »
    I asked if anyone knew of any companies who could help not tell you how much I have in my bank and how much money I get so you could try and penalise me. I don't find your response helpful. If I had savings I would buy a car....:T

Answer the questions and we can help you.

Don't bother asking for advice if you can't/won't answer questions that will help you.

You don;t need to borrow to buy a car, I never have in my entire life.

"Cut your cloth accordingly".
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Robisere wrote: »

Funny how outright rudeness and a sense of entitlement can erode people's sympathy.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure