Teacher pension scheme options

Comments

• GAry
    GAry Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I need to update my posts after checking the paperwork today.

The CARE scheme is actually NRA67 and not age 65, so it is a 7 year actuarial reduction, which equates to 31% if taken at age 60.

Zagubov.
    I made some queries a few months ago.
    Both schemes can't be drawn separately (eg. different ages). Also delaying retiring past age 60 did not seem to enhance the NRA60 element.
    There is probably an option to continuing contributing to a pension, but maybe it would be a new DB scheme or DC scheme ?? It would be worth querying this with the teaching authority directly, as it must be a common approach.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    GAry wrote: »
    I need to update my posts after checking the paperwork today.

The CARE scheme is actually NRA67 and not age 65

It's aligned to the member's state pension age (whatever that is).
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 October 2019 at 12:38PM
    Both schemes can't be drawn separately (eg. different ages). Also delaying retiring past age 60 did not seem to enhance the NRA60 element.

I've never been able to find any benefit to this either; unless you're still contributing to it past 60 somehow which maybe doesn't happen when you're on this blended version of the pension. Are you sure you have to take the NRA67 at the same time as the NRA60?
    There is probably an option to continuing contributing to a pension, but maybe it would be a new DB scheme or DC scheme ?? It would be worth querying this with the teaching authority directly, as it must be a common approach.

I was on a protected NRA60 scheme and retired but went back to work. I'm automatically back on the TPS DB scheme in my new job although it's the NRA67 career average version.

I heard if you have two schemes when you take the NRA67 you have to take your NRA60 pension but not the other way round. Do you know if that is right?

I'd be tempted to ask the TPS if you can take "phased retirement" and claim your NRA60 portion and leave your NRA67 until you finally retire completely later on.

If you do that is your pension capped unless you limit your teaching hours?

Are you reducing your NRA67 pension by going back part-time for the remaining years of work?

Can you pay in extra to offset any reduction?

Can you take the NRA60 pension actuarially reduced (by retiring even a little bit early) and after a delay, return to work while still adding to your new pension without capping (abating) your old pension?

You might want to write out as many questions as you need and post them to their site, and/or arrange to talk to them on the phone. Does your union have any advice?

By the way nobody can advise whether one path or procedure is better for you, but if you ask yes or no questions to them they can maybe give you more info to base your decision on.

Be aware that when you claim a pension and press "send" there's no reversing it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • GAry
    Are you sure you have to take the NRA67 at the same time as the NRA60?
    The letter received from the Education authority on 11 April 2019 answered this question -
    'It is not possible to take each scheme separately. If you retire at age 60 your benefits in the CARE scheme will be reduced'

So if my wife 'fully' retires at 60 (as planned), then the NRA60 scheme will pay out with no variations, but the NRA67 CARE scheme will have a reduction of 31%.
    At age 63 the NRA60 scheme is the same payout as at 60, with the NRA67 CARE scheme reduced by 16%
    At age 67 the NRA60 scheme is the same as at 60, with the NRA67 CARE scheme paying out with no reduction.

Between 55 and 60 the plan is to use the AVC fund in flexible drawdown.
    There is still the opportunity to do a few substitute teaching days, but as this contributes to the NRA67 CARE scheme only, any benefit at the planned age 60 retirement date is reduced somewhat (31%!).
    Hope this helps....
  • zagubov
    I'm not expert on your wife's version of the pension. Have you asked the union for any advice? Her rep may not be an expert but may have the phone number of someone with more info.

An important question is how much work does your wife plan to do after retirement?

If she's just planning a small amount of work, for a small income and to stop being bored, she can retire on her 60th birthday as planned.

If she's planning to do a big portion of a full-time job, she may get some of her pension clawed back (abated). This could be avoided if she retires just before her birthday and returns after a gap (this could literally be a couple of days. This way her NRA60 will be actuarially reduced (by a very small amount) but there are no restrictions on how much new teaching work she can take on.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • GAry
    zagubov wrote: »
    I'm not expert on your wife's version of the pension. Have you asked the union for any advice? Her rep may not be an expert but may have the phone number of someone with more info..

We don't really have any questions to ask (I thought you were wanting feedback on these teachers scheme options !).

The only decision to now make is what SIPP to transfer the PRU AVC fund to?

The PRU charges are too high, as they insist on compulsory advice charges, so it makes sense to move the fund to a more cost effective drawdown platform.
    Fidelity is looking most likely at present; my wife already holds equity investments on this platform in an ISA wrapper.
  • zagubov
    We don't really have any questions to ask (I thought you were wanting feedback on these teachers scheme options !).

No, I'm retired on a FS pension and back at work paying into the CARE pension.

I was only wondering whether there was a way your wife could access the FS pension and, if working afterwards, earn more money and build up more pension in the CARE scheme without penalties.

I'll not delete my previous posts as other forum users may be in that situation.

I hope it all goes smoothly for your wife and she enjoys her retirement.
  • GAry
    zagubov wrote: »
    No, I'm retired on a FS pension and back at work paying into the CARE pension.

I was only wondering whether there was a way your wife could access the FS pension and, if working afterwards, earn more money and build up more pension in the CARE scheme without penalties.

I'll not delete my previous posts as other forum users may be in that situation.

I hope it all goes smoothly for your wife and she enjoys her retirement.

Thanks. Yes - this information could be very useful to lots of teachers in a similar situation.

Any future pension contributions will be to the SIPP (tax relief upto £4K after she starts drawdown).

Good luck.
  • cobson
    cobson Posts: 162 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2019 at 7:03PM
    The letter received from the Education authority on 11 April 2019 answered this question -
    'It is not possible to take each scheme separately. If you retire at age 60 your benefits in the CARE scheme will be reduced'

I don't think this is right. If you are taking early retirement i.e. before NRA then you have to take both schemes together, but if you are retiring at NRA you can defer the second. This is confirmed on page 10 and 11 of the following:

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/faqs/employer-faqs/completing-your-eoyc/~/media/aabceca9af4a495b86d524f3ea2e71a6.ashx
  • GAry
    Hi,
    ”I don't think this is right. If you are taking early retirement i.e. before NRA then you have to take both schemes together, but if you are retiring at NRA you can defer the second.

I believe your are right! I have checked the Northern Ireland scheme, just to be sure it is the same in this part of the UK and it seems to concur - see link.
    The letter received does appear to be wrong and we will now take this up with the education authority.

https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/publications/factsheet-4-retirement

Thanks, this forum has proved very useful; moreso than the pension administrators.

I'll update after they respond.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport