Cheapest way to send package weighing between 2-5kg?

HI, I've got a few books to post and typically they weigh over the 2kg limit that I would have used (Royal Mail)

Any cheaper alternatives - probably got 2 x 3kg parcels to send so want to do it a cheap as possible

I'm sending books to friends so not sending as a profit maing excercise like ebay etc

Comments

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2019 at 1:13AM
    jeffuk wrote: »

I click on that link, identify my closest store that offers this service. Then I click on send a parcel, and get quotes for £6.49 for 2-5kg and it says I require a printer. I can't see what I'm doing wrong
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nobile wrote: »
    I click on that link, identify my closest store that offers this service. Then I click on send a parcel, and get quotes for £6.49 for 2-5kg and it says I require a printer. I can't see what I'm doing wrong

The price for '2-5kg' is £5.99 if you drop off a the store

It's £6.49 if the MyHermes driver collects it from your house

If you don't have a printer, it looks as if there is an option to get it printed in the collection store, but I'm not sure how this works. No doubt there'll be an extra charge too.

If this will be a one-off event, try in-store printing, but if you'll be sending more parcels in the future, just set up an account.

If you have a library nearby, you could get the label emailed to yourself, then it could be printed out. Our local library charges 10p a page.

Maybe a friend could print it for you too if you just have the label emailed to their email address.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nobile wrote: »

Different services that's why.

Print in shop is just that-take your item to an eligible shop use their automated machine and you get a different price, this is the link you need:

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/our-services/print-in-store.html
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    WLM21 wrote: »
    The price for '2-5kg' is £5.99 if you drop off a the store

It's £6.49 if the MyHermes driver collects it from your house

If you don't have a printer, it looks as if there is an option to get it printed in the collection store, but I'm not sure how this works. No doubt there'll be an extra charge too.

If this will be a one-off event, try in-store printing, but if you'll be sending more parcels in the future, just set up an account.

If you have a library nearby, you could get the label emailed to yourself, then it could be printed out. Our local library charges 10p a page.

Maybe a friend could print it for you too if you just have the label emailed to their email address.

The service suggested wasn't a standard MyHermes print at home service but the print in store service here:

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/our-services/print-in-store.html

That is £2.95 for a parcel up to 5KG
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    soolin wrote: »
    That is £2.95 for a parcel up to 5KG

Thanks for the reply

That seems very cheap .. Normal drop off price is £5.99

And for a 15kg parcel £5.95 rather than £9.99

What's the catch ?

Why would anybody use the normal 'print at home' prices if these are much cheaper and easier ?

Is it a new service ?
  • soolin
    Thanks for the reply

What's the catch ?

Why would anybody use the normal 'print at home' prices if these are much cheaper and easier ?

Is it a new service ?

It's fairly new, perhaps a year or slightly less. We had a thread on here about it but it is a rather well hidden service.

I use it for all my cheap but heavy items and have managed to shift some vintage metal items rather cheaply - always hoping of course that they don't stop the service before I can use it!
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the reply

What's the catch ?

Is it a new service ?

There is no catch. I have used to many times recently since someone posted about it here. It is very simple to use. I have a printer at home but still use this service as it is cheap for parcels 2-5 kg. Just need a credit card to pay and enter all details on the little machine ie senders name, your name/ address etc. Also the parcel sizes are more generous than Royal Mail.
  • soolin
    I used this service again this morning as a local shop less than a mile away now offers the print in store option. Dropped my items off on the way to the shops, and already have tracking showing parcels were collected and are on their way to the hub.

I can't cut and paste, but this is what the buyer can already see :

we've got it
    11:12 - Thu 28 Feb
    We've received your parcel at the ParcelShop and it's on its way

12:04 - Thu 28 Feb
    We've collected your parcel from the ParcelShop and it's on its way

Both items were heavy, just under 3kg, but relatively inexpensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure