Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shaggie44 wrote: »
    morning People,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction or at least advise me.

My 6.20pm flight (BA0323) on Saturday 10 Jan, from Paris CDG to LHR was cancelled at 12.30pm. At the time no reason was given, but got emails re-book us for Sunday's flight at 2.45pm and were given hotels.

I wrote to BA claiming compensation for flight delay, and this is an extract from the response:

I understand most airlines would hide behind extraordinary circumstances, therefore how can I tell if that is a true reason? is there anywhere to check?

Also what step should I take next?

Shaggie,

As you were informed that your flight was cancelled 6 or so hours prior to your departure it must have been the previous flight that was effected by the weather.

Their excuse would only stand if it was your flight that was directly effected so it sounds like you have a right to claim compensation.

Have a read of Vaubans superb guide and issue BA with an LBA (letter before action). During the process the truth of which flight was delayed and when will come to light.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • ChunkyDumpling
    Options
    After 2 months of to-ing and fro-ing with BA's Customer Relations and them offering me €100 which I refused I think its time for legal action. Ive sent them a LBA so unless they sort things Im taking them to court

Hi Invalidation, I think we were on the same flight. I haven't been offered anything yet. It took ages to get a standard reply back, citing that it was 'delayed due to aircraft damage, which was not caused by British Airways, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, British Airways is not liable...'

What did you do to get the €100 offer? And do you think the case has a chance? I heard the plane had been hit by lightning in London. Putting in flight details on a compensation site (I forget which) had told me I was unlikely to get anywhere with this particular case and I was on the point of accepting this and just going for hotel fees until you mentioned this.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    well part success after less than 2 weeks.

I have been advised I will receive compensation for delayed BA flight BA0066

They have fobbed me off to their partner US Airways, for the fact I was bumped down to economy from first, on the first part of my return leg, despite the fact I booked directly on one booking, so I will be pushing back on that, but pleased at such a swift response overall.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hcb42 wrote: »
    They have fobbed me off to their partner US Airways, for the fact I was bumped down to economy from first, on the first part of my return leg, despite the fact I booked directly on one booking, so I will be pushing back on that
    If your booking was for First and US Airways downgraded you it is US Airways that you claim from. If this was a US flight then the EU directive does not apply but US Airways will have their own compensation for downgrades. The claim is from the operating carrier irrespective if part of another booking
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, I will try US , but the reason was due to BA ultimately I believe - a lot of customers were stranded due to a failing with the bookings being received by US Airways, despite us and a lot of customers having confirmations , seat nos and had reconfirmed prev day. (as we could not check in due to ticketing error on part of BA)
  • janetandroy4748
    Options
    Just wanted to update our progress since taking to twitter re our BA claims. Both paid!!! the claim for which I had received no acknowledgement was there, in their system, but for some reason they believed that they did not have authorisation to pay all persons on the booking (they did!!), and they had e-mailed me to this effect (they hadn't!). the young lady who phoned, at exactly the time I asked her to, said the claim had been cleared, payment would be in my bank by early next week. I had to admit to feeling a little cynical about this, but as I had the facility to easily direct message them on twitter, would give them until the end of next week, and then be on to them again. this morning I had an alert from my bank to say it had been paid in yesterday!! so we are now 1000 euros each better off. twitter definitely seems to be the way to go.
  • Milofizzjake
    Options
    Last year we booked with BA to go to Las Vegas. Flights were Newcastle to Heathrow, Heathrow to Las Vegas for 8 nights.
    On the day of travel 3hrs before travelling we recieved a text from BA to say our 1st flight was cancelled,after contacting BA we decided to drive to Heathrow as there was no other flight the same day to ensure we got our connecting flight. We were offered an alternative flight the following day, which we declined.
    At Heathrow we never got to fly to Las Vegas due to a technical error with the aeroplane, so after sitting on the plane for 5.5hrs we ended up with an overnight stay.
    We travelled the following day and spend 7 days in Las Vegas, However we recieved a further text from BA the day before our return flight to advise our return flight was going to be delayed, we eventually flew home 21 hrs later We contacted BA straight away and made a claim for Compensation for the cancelled internal flight, plus the Heathrow to Las Vegas and Las Vegas to Heathrow. BA are only prepared to provided 1 x compo for the Heathrow to Las Vegas flight and not the other two. They claim the cancelled internal flight isnt covered seperatley as it is a connecting flight and we booked a holiday from Newcastle to Las Vegas on their website. They are also refusing Compo on return flight home due to a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. This emergency happened the day before our original flight home, and had a knock on affect leading to our flight on the following day being 21 hrs delayed. Please can you advise if BA are correct before we challenge their decision.
    They are also refusing to assist in the extra cost we incurred, ie Airport Parking at Heathrow, the lost money we had already paid at Newcastle Airport parking and petrol. There has been no offer of goodwill and no refund of the two internal flights where one was originally cancelled and the 2nd was not required. Any help/advice anyone please?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Milofizzjake
    Options
    Last year we booked with BA to go to Las Vegas. Flights were Newcastle to Heathrow, Heathrow to Las Vegas for 8 nights.
    On the day of travel 3hrs before travelling we recieved a text from BA to say our 1st flight was cancelled,after contacting BA we decided to drive to Heathrow as there was no other flight the same day to ensure we got our connecting flight. We were offered an alternative flight the following day, which we declined.
    At Heathrow we never got to fly to Las Vegas due to a technical error with the aeroplane, so after sitting on the plane for 5.5hrs we ended up with an overnight stay.
    We travelled the following day and spend 7 days in Las Vegas, However we recieved a further text from BA the day before our return flight to advise our return flight was going to be delayed, we eventually flew home 21 hrs later We contacted BA straight away and made a claim for Compensation for the cancelled internal flight, plus the Heathrow to Las Vegas and Las Vegas to Heathrow. BA are only prepared to provided 1 x compo for the Heathrow to Las Vegas flight and not the other two. They claim the cancelled internal flight isnt covered seperatley as it is a connecting flight and we booked a holiday from Newcastle to Las Vegas on their website. They are also refusing Compo on return flight home due to a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. This emergency happened the day before our original flight home, and had a knock on affect leading to our flight on the following day being 21 hrs delayed. Please can you advise if BA are correct before we challenge their decision.
    They are also refusing to assist in the extra cost we incurred, ie Airport Parking at Heathrow, the lost money we had already paid at Newcastle Airport parking and petrol. There has been no offer of goodwill and no refund of the two internal flights where one was originally cancelled and the 2nd was not required. Any help/advice anyone please?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2015 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Milofizzjake, BA are correct on the outbound, your flight was NCL-LAS, only one amount of compensation due, based on the full length, not the NCL-LHR flight.

Medical emergencies, in front of a judge, are most likely to be determined as 'extraordinary circumstances'. Your only argument could be why the delay was as long as 21hours, perhaps get more details on this from BA. Although they'll repeat the 'medical emergencies' circumstances as loud as they can. But if there are out of hours crew issues, you may have a point.

You declined their NCL-LHR flight, so I'll doubt you'll get the other costs.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback