Currently waiting for a call from the DWP to tell me i've failed my WCA - Next Step ?

Options
2»

Comments

• jasonwatkins
    Options
    If you can possibly survive a 5-7 week period without income then I would strongly recommend NOT claiming UC and going through the mandatory reconsideration process and lodging your appeal asap.

Unfortunately it's too late now as I've applied for it. I didn't really have a choice when it came down to it. I don't have any savings and the kind of money I'd have to borrow to get through the next 7 weeks would be close to a £1000 and the only people I could call on haven't got that kind of money to lend me.

This does, rather ironically mean that i'm going to have to have an advance on my first payment so i'll be borrowing that kind of money from the DWP anyway. I have to go to an appointment on Tuesday to prove my identity, so once that's sorted I hope i can arrange for the advance then.

If I can do that and try and get it as near as possible to the 4th of March, which was when my next ESA payment was due, i should be ok as far as bills and things go, as there'll be no break in payments.

I'll definitely ring back tomorrow to request the MR though - the sooner I can get the ball rolling on that, the better.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    I'm just now finding out that since i've mentioned my various medical issues on my UC claim, I may be summoned for another WCA assessment within the month.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm just now finding out that since i've mentioned my various medical issues on my UC claim, I may be summoned for another WCA assessment within the month.
    You'll need a fit note to claim LCW for UC. If successfully given LCWRA (Support Group) then you'll be paid an extra £328 per month from the 4th month of your claim, start from when you sent in your first fit note.

If you're given LCW (WRAG) then as you've started a new claim then the new rules may apply, which could mean you won't be paid the extra LCW element. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You'll need a fit note to claim LCW for UC. If successfully given LCWRA (Support Group) then you'll be paid an extra £328 per month from the 4th month of your claim, start from when you sent in your first fit note.

If you're given LCW (WRAG) then as you've started a new claim then the new rules may apply, which could mean you won't be paid the extra LCW element. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

Should I be claiming LCW though ?. I'm only applying for UC because I have to.

But then if the new rules state I won't get anything extra, would it even be worth applying and going through the rigmarole of getting fit notes ?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    Options
    Should I be claiming LCW though ?. I'm only applying for UC because I have to.

But then if the new rules state I won't get anything extra, would it even be worth applying and going through the rigmarole of getting fit notes ?
    Aren't you unfit for work, which is why you're requesting the MR for the ESA decision? You won't be able to go back onto ESA but claiming UC doesn't mean you don't still have LCW.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Aren't you unfit for work, which is why you're requesting the MR for the ESA decision? You won't be able to go back onto ESA but claiming UC doesn't mean you don't still have LCW.

Yes, I suppose the obvious answer is usually obvious :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    If you are found to have LCW under UC even though you don’t get extra money it does limit the activities you can be asked to do so it’s definitely worth being assessed if you don’t want to be treated as a full time jobseeker (although workcoach has discretion to reduce requirements even if not found to have LCW).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    If you are found to have LCW under UC even though you don’t get extra money it does limit the activities you can be asked to do so it’s definitely worth being assessed if you don’t want to be treated as a full time jobseeker (although workcoach has discretion to reduce requirements even if not found to have LCW).

Yes this does make sense. I was reading a comment from someone who said they'd scored 9 points on the ESA assessment but, with no changes to medical conditions or anything else, they'd scored 15 points on the UC assessment and got the LCW component.
  • dreamylittledream
    Options
    Yes this does make sense. I was reading a comment from someone who said they'd scored 9 points on the ESA assessment but, with no changes to medical conditions or anything else, they'd scored 15 points on the UC assessment and got the LCW component.

The criteria is the same for UC and ESA but different Healthcare Professionals and indeed decision makers can reach different conclusions on broadly similar sets of evidence.

Despite what anyone might tell you the WCA is not a black and white test
    Who's going to fly your plane? / When you need to make your getaway....
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    The criteria is the same for UC and ESA but different Healthcare Professionals and indeed decision makers can reach different conclusions on broadly similar sets of evidence.

Despite what anyone might tell you the WCA is not a black and white test

Tell me about it. This is the third one in a row i've failed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure