RBS PPI Letter

I've had another PPI letter come through this time from RBS. Its got a questionnaire enclosed and basically says I understand you have a concern about PPI and the way it was sold to you, prompting the completion of the questionnaire. I've had a few similar letter from Halifax but didn't expect this one.

It lists an account number, but doesn't go into any further detail. The only thing is I don't know what this account is, its definitely either a loan or credit card I had and I believe from an RBS subsidiary rather then main bank, I fired off a lot of these enquiries for old accounts so not sure which company it could be.

It does provide a phone number to ask further questions, is it best just to phone them and ask them for more details for the account and try and whittle it down? I didn't know I had PPI on this account either way!!

Comments

• italianie wrote: »
    It does provide a phone number to ask further questions, is it best just to phone them and ask them for more details for the account
    That would seem a wise move.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2019 at 11:11AM
    RBS are part of the same group as Halifax - merged in 2001 - and they are all under Lloyds now, so it's possible a PPI complaint to Halifax has triggered a look at accounts with RBS

Ignore this nonsense
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    RBS are part of the same group as Halifax - merged in 2001 - and they are all under Lloyds now, so it's possible a PPI complaint to Halifax has triggered a look at accounts with RBS

Not sure if you've just not woken up yet but ...

RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) are not part the Lloyds Banking Group as Halifax are.

BOS (Bank of Scotland), however, are part of he Lloyds Banking Group.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HappyHarry wrote: »
    Not sure if you've just not woken up yet but ...

RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) are not part the Lloyds Banking Group as Halifax are.

BOS (Bank of Scotland), however, are part of he Lloyds Banking Group.

Yeah that's lack of coffee, unless OP actually means BOS not RBS, assuming he didn't complain to RBS separately
  • italianie
    italianie Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 February 2019 at 6:02PM
    I phoned today and it did go through to a Lloyds banking group helpline, they were able to check both the RBS ppi enquiry and another Halifax one. The operator confirmed the RBS loan was actually a Sainburys loan I took out in 2017, I'm not sure if it would have PPI on this as it was only 2 years ago but I've completed and sent the questionnaire today anyway.

What I'm not sure with all the PPI inquiries that I've sent off in the past few weeks, is whether I need to be making a separate complaint, as opposed to just an inquiry. I started off by sending all the PPI inquiries I could recall to the banks directly via online forms. I then received several letters confirming no PPI but also got several others with questionnaires indicating PPI or MPPI on the account. In total 2 x MPPI, 2 x Loans PPI, 2 x CC's PPI have asked for questionnaires to be returned. I'm assuming by returning these questionnaires, I'm automatically raising a complaint with the banks, they have given a PPI reference no for each query.

My question and confusion is:- should I be making separate complaints for each loan / cc that may have had PPI? I can see from looking online at the banks websites that complaints are logged slightly differently to inquiries. I've seen some template letters online to make complaints on Which etc.

At this stage I'm just assuming that as I've been sent several questionnaires for several products the banks have put me on a complaints pathway automatically. I understand if I'm am unsuccessful I can try with the Financial Ombudsman.

Please forgive my naivety , I really don't know much knowledge about PPI and the processes involved, I just wanted to have a go, avoid the PPI claims company's, and see if I am due any PPI refund / compensation before the August deadline. I suppose I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that I've done everything right so far. I'm expecting some phone calls from the banks, I've had a couple of missed calls from private numbers today which is unusual on my mobile, so I could potentially / imminently be getting a phone PPI interview, which I believe is a further stage beyond the questionnaires.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If it was a consolidated chain of loans then you should be able to use one form.
    If they were separate ones, then one each.
    If the credit cards were follow on ones, one form, if they were separate, individual forms.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff wrote: »
    If it was a consolidated chain of loans then you should be able to use one form.
    If they were separate ones, then one each.
    If the credit cards were follow on ones, one form, if they were separate, individual forms.

Thanks yeah they were combined for consecutive mortgages, loans and credit cards. I've already returned the questionnaires. My question was more around what to expect now I've sent them or do I need to do anything else or is it a case of sit back and wait and see?
  • You've fired off speculative ppi enquiries, sit back and wait.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Wait up to 8 weeks
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • You will only recieve phone calls from Halifax if they cannot uphold your complaint without customer contact. Which means you were eligible for the policy and it was suitable so far as their systems show. The fact that you've got a few missed calls would most likely mean they have not found any evidence on their systems to negate the need for the ppi and it was not missold. They will ask you further questions over the phone regarding the reason for your complaint and give you the opportunity to recall or add further evidence about the sale. Each product is reviewed separately. So expect a few calls I.e mortgages loans and CCards. I would say for mortgage PPI the uphold rate is extremely low.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure