PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It's common for people to laugh at preppers. But we all know in here what happens when you don't prep. Then people stop laughing :D;)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    cuddlymarm we had the same awful thing happen in 2009 with the recession and banking crisis. Empty cupboards scare me too. Debt doesn't as we avoid it like the plague but we have got a small mortgage now and the fear of losing my home again is with me every day.

This is why I come from the angle I do. I can't imagine Brexit and what follows being any worse than what my family have already been through. We coped and actually, eventually, we flourished. People's experiences shape them. I keep a close eye on politics and issues of the world and refute that I'm ignorant.Comingbat it from a different angle, yes, but not ignorant.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    That's certainly a "thought for the day" - ie re how peoples experiences shape them.

It's a thought that probably never strikes many people just how much their own environment/life has shaped them until they're out of it for whatever reason - and watching other people that have been shaped by their own environment and don't realise it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    People's experiences shape them.

well said, very much so. I completely and wholeheartedly agree.

Trouble being that so many youngsters don`t have that depth of experience, the wise words that came from parents who learnt from grandparents and also from the local community. Having said that, all these wise words are just that ie words and learnt experiences are the most effective, the ones that ignite the learning process. What a boring world if we didn`t have those twists and bends in the road, if everyone stayed in their boring comfort zone, never to stretch themselves beyond what is familiar
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've learned over the years that things often turn out differently from the predictions of experts. If they were that expert they'd be wealthy and off sunning themselves somewhere. Once you get round the bend in the road the view may look a lot nicer as the scenery unfolds often in proportion to the pessimism with which you approached it

And I think that something that has so far not really featured in the debate may come to affect us far more. And that is the increasing use and sophistication of robots. The big underlying issue of the last few centuries has been the division of the rewards of economic activity between capital and labour. I think that will evolve into an argument about how to distribute wealth when labour is irrelevant. And European countries that have worried about a demographic deficit and declining population will find that deficit does not exist.

I'm staying put. You don't want to be an outsider in a country that is going through tumult and if it turns out badly we are certainly better off on our own.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    And as I said previously, no country ever left the EU before so it is a completely new learning experience for everyone. Even those politicians who live and work in Brussels, whilst not working totally in the dark, can only hazard a guess as to the outcome and the consequences of that outcome. It would have been much the same when the two world wars broke out last century, families with no experience of conflict and hardship suddenly found they could no longer take their old lifestyles for granted.

Prepping-wise I can understand melanzana's bemusement at the apparent doom, gloom and panic going on. As others have said, it makes sense to get your finances tidy, get your homes and your food cupboards in good order and maybe have access to a cash float in a safe place in case cash machines stop working. All this is good solid everyday common sense, regardless of what is going on in the world. If I were a gambling sort I would bet that things will go on much the same in people's everyday lives after we leave the EU, just the same as when we joined it and when we went through decimalisation. The wheel of the year turns, politicians come and go, today's big news is tomorrow's history, and through it all Joe and Josephine Public get on with their lives.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just to put things into perspective DD1 is an Historian, she is a department head at her school and she and I both have an interest area of 'WW2 Home Front' life. We have researched and found just how innovative people were in making the best of what must have been the most dire situation on all fronts. The knowledge of making bramble tea may not seem relevant in 2018 BUT in a time of possible coming shortages of supplies for whatever reason causes it isn't it a tiny and useful thing to still know how to extend your tea leaves and make it possible to have more? the same with the dandelion coffee, it's still made commercially but I don't think keeping quirky knowledge like that in the public domaine is a bad or harmful thing. We have lived most of our lives and for me that's 70 years in a time of peace and prosperity, I know nothing else but am old enough to remember from childhood my parents friends and aquaintances talking about life in WW2 so have some idea of the hardship they endured. I see no harm in keeping 'how to's' alive but if you don't like the content of a thread there is no obligation to read the posts is there?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely MrsL. I had the kind of mother who never spoke at all about the past, and if asked would tell me to stop talking silly nonsense and go and do something useful instead. Maybe with a different mum I too would be a Historian because I love all that stuff :D.
  • Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    edited 14 July 2018 at 11:32AM
    Options
    I have been following this and other threads about Brexit and the suggestion of food shortages, whether they are true or just scaremongering, and stockpiling food.

Some of the things suggested in the papers are luxury items to me, but not to others.

What would be anyone's recommendations of things to start a small basic stock cupboard, to cover a few weeks until normality is resumed. gradually purchasing one or two items a week, before the panic buying sets in just before the final Brexit date.

I realise that what one person considers essential is different to another, and the size of the household.

I already keep a small stock cupboard, but many people don't and might not know how, or have any any idea of what to keep in one.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback