Cancelling Carpetright order

sugarbabe84
sugarbabe84 Posts: 259 Forumite
edited 8 July 2018 at 4:13PM in Consumer rights
I recently made an order at Carpetright for £2800, with 0% finance.

Im not happy with the service they have provided and would like to cancel my order.

Firstly, the original carpet that I had wanted at the time of measurement request was unabaible at the 50% price Id een it at.

Secondly, when they came to measure at my house, they were meant to bring some samples but never did. I had to try and figure out the sample to go with my worktops by proxy.

Thirdly, it took 6 days and 2 telephone calls from me before they could commit to a fitting date.

I made the order on 30th June. I wonder what right I have since Im not within 14 days of the order.

Their terms and conditions arent clear on the website. I made the order in store.

Ultimately my heart despairs that I will part with so much money for a poor service.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you not sign anything, get a copy of what you signed ?
  • sugarbabe84
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Did you not sign anything, get a copy of what you signed ?

I got a copy of what I signed. It was the Hitachi Capital consumer agreement. I’m clear on that one, it gives me a 14 days cancellation for the credit agreement.

I’m not sure if it also applies to the carpet right order.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you made the order in store then the 14 days cooling off wouldn't apply anyway as that only applies to off-premises contracts (contracts made in your own home after requesting a visit from the trader for example) or distance contracts (contracts made exclusively using distant communication with no face to face before the contract is concluded).

From what you've said, you've picked the carpet and now have a fitting date, so whats changed since then that has you wanting to cancel now?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    I got a copy of what I signed. It was the Hitachi Capital consumer agreement. I’m clear on that one, it gives me a 14 days cancellation for the credit agreement.

I’m not sure if it also applies to the carpet right order.

Its to cancel the finance. That doesn't cancel the contract of sale though
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • sugarbabe84
    If you made the order in store then the 14 days cooling off wouldn't apply anyway as that only applies to off-premises contracts (contracts made in your own home after requesting a visit from the trader for example) or distance contracts (contracts made exclusively using distant communication with no face to face before the contract is concluded).

From what you've said, you've picked the carpet and now have a fitting date, so whats changed since then that has you wanting to cancel now?

I’m just not happy with the service and I don’t feel right parting with all that money, which is why I want to know my cancellation rights.

I made the order on a whim and I don’t feel comfortable with it.

Why should I be happy giving my money to a corporate for a sub standard service?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can we be clear you ordered in store .
    If so no cancellation rights as posted above .
    You can always ask nicely .
  • You can cancel the finance. Your lack of trust in the service will suffice as a reason and you have not received the goods. Carpetright will in turn then withhold the goods and they will not pursue this. The goods are not fitted and are therefore reusable. They could try to charge you for this, but this is never a successful endeavour and always fails. Just call Hitachi and cancel.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 July 2018 at 6:55PM
    Mark23913 wrote: »
    You can cancel the finance. Your lack of trust in the service will suffice as a reason and you have not received the goods. Carpetright will in turn then withhold the goods and they will not pursue this. The goods are not fitted and are therefore reusable. They could try to charge you for this, but this is never a successful endeavour and always fails. Just call Hitachi and cancel.

Your advice is both incorrect and dangerous and I suggest that you read up on consumer laws before you get yourself in trouble.

As correctly stated above the finance is completely independent so can be cancelled as per the written instructions. The Capet will be a completely separate contract and nothing to do with the finance company, carpetright will not just write off a purchase and let buyer walk away. Buyer needs to read their contract that relates to the purchase, as it stands they have no automatic right to cancel and can be taken to court for the unpaid bill.

Here's the sticky thread that might be useful for you

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4922954
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I've had experience of this scenario. Carpetright did not pursue this. Its pointless for them.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    I've had experience of this scenario. Carpetright did not pursue this. Its pointless for them.
    So on the basis of one personal experience you feel qualified to state that:
    They could try to charge you for this, but this is never a successful endeavour and always fails. Just call Hitachi and cancel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure