what is correct here?

iammumtoone
iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
I have been looking for an item via ebay for weeks, new is too expensive and so are all the second hand ones I have seen.

A buy it now popped up for a damaged one at a price I am happy with. I am not worried about the damage and need this item by the end of this week. I was really pleased I had finally sorted something.

I then get a message from the seller asking to cancel the transaction as they listed it as a buy it now for someone else and I got in there before the other person saw it :(

What is the correct thing to do here? Should I cancel? I do feel a bit bad but I also want/need this item and if I saw it at auction I would have bid or if I asked the seller for a buy it now I would have released I was taking a chance that someone might see it before me.

Comments

• sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,066 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would say it is yours. I would pay and see what happens. After all, it was at a price the seller was happy with.

Tough that the other buyer did not act quickly enough.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sounds like the seller has had a better offer and is trying to fob you off.

I once bought a hand made item as a 'special arrangement' through an e-bay seller - and she popped a notice on the listing making it quite clear that it was a special order and not open for bids.
  • iammumtoone
    Sounds like the seller has had a better offer and is trying to fob you off.

It was listed as a BIN with a best offer option. I can't see why anyone would offer to pay more than the BIN price.
  • iammumtoone
    I had already paid, it was after this the seller is asking to cancel so they can sell to the original person.

I have replied back explaining I also want this item, have already paid for it and don't really want to cancel.

I just wanted to check on here that there wasn't some un-written code with ebay that in this situation I should back out.

Thanks
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,066 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Stick to you guns, that's what I would do.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out!
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You shouldn't cancel it as it will mark a ding against your account. The seller should cancel it as out of stock, as technically it is, or will be if this other person buys it.
    Or just refuse and say not its mine and pay for it.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lindens wrote: »
    You shouldn't cancel it as it will mark a ding against your account. The seller should cancel it as out of stock, as technically it is, or will be if this other person buys it.
    Or just refuse and say not its mine and pay for it.

Buyers don't get dings for requesting a cancellation. Seller will get a rather nasty defect though for cancelling due to out of stock which is almost certainly why he is trying to get the OP to request the cancellation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'd just reply saying you don't want to cancel as you'd like the item and have already paid.

How long had it been listed for? Are we talking you clicking the BIN within seconds of it appearing?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    How long had it been listed for? Are we talking you clicking the BIN within seconds of it appearing?

What's it matter? OP has bought it and paid for it. End of story.
  • brewthebear
    brewthebear Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If seller is telling truth all they have to do is say sorry to other person but item is now sold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure