PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,

My sister & I often do the going to phone each other thing, it also used to freak the kids out when they were younger!
    I woke up to a bit of a mess this morning, one of my hanging basket brackets had broken:(. Cue me still in my nightwear rescuing plants. I think they are more or less ok and I'll replant them later. Thankfully yesterday's wind & rain has departed though it is still decidedly on the chilly side.
    Soup & salad planned for lunch and tonight probably pasta with something yet to be decided:)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    caronc wrote: »
    I woke up to a bit of a mess this morning, one of my hanging basket brackets had broken:(.
    It could be worse. It was on the news that a couple had their entire (astroturf) garden stolen! :eek:
    Just discovered that the travelling butcher sells real ham - as opposed to a mushy mix popped out of an extruder into 'ham shaped' moulds :D
    So ham sandwiches for lunch it is then.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Today I think I will be going to look at paint/colours. I know the colour I think I want, so that narrows it down a bit.... I hate colours/decisions and choosing/finalising ... especially as once you've decided and get it home it's all different and you don't like it.
    I always experiment with testers first and live with blobs on the wall while I try to make my mind up. Guess whose under stairs cupboard is full of tester pots.... :(
  • You can't beat a fish finger sandwich. :)

There's just a tad of a problem there - I don't eat fish - to give one reason why not.

Was a peaceful morning's volunteering thankfully - and lunch has turned out to be puffed quinoa cereal with pomegranite seeds and some apple chopped up in it. Toast - with that cashew cheese (not finished yet) on top.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Like PN, rain overnight, hooray, beans & sunflowers watered without any effort by me

Sun out, bit breezy so bunged a wash in before I went out, now out drying in the sun / wind as I type

Breakfast was porridge / banana again, plus pot of tea

Not one YS to tempt on my mooching this morning, came home with boring stuff like loo rolls & TV listing magazine

Lunch was use up last of the YS 6p sliced loaf, in cheese & salad sarnies

Dinner, due to complete lack of YS inspiration & CBA, will be the last stale crust, toasted, with tin of plastic sausages & beans, with last of the wizened mushrooms, fried in olive oil

Because I scoffed all the trifle last night:o There is nothing else, except cereals if I'm hungry later

In L's tomorrow, so hoping to find something inspiring there, or it could be Friday is buy Fish & Chips day after volunteering duties. Sounding tempting at the moment
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Pineapple - you've taken a look at that bill then re amending utilities in your place (I noticed on another thread). It doesnt sound unreasonable per se - but...yep...it's a size of bill that does turn the hair white if single/low income I know from experience.

I don't know how things go these days - but way back when (ie whilst I was still in my starter house - ie a Victorian terrace) I knew a major bit of essential expenditure was due at some point. The house hadnt had its roof swopped yet - so it was clear it would be due at some point.

Basically - I left that roof to bottom of the list - as I knew that, if ever I got made redundant yet again chances are that I'd be unemployed for a while and I knew the unemployed got 100% grant for a new roof. I thought I personally would have to pay 100% if in work.

Cue - fortunately I didnt land up on the dole queue again - but the roof went and so it was my responsibility. I asked the local Council if there was at least a partial grant for those who were in work - but low-paid. I did duly get given a (rather low:cool:) grant by them towards the cost based on my income level..

Don't know if you have anything like that - and in this day and age of increasing cost-cutting - available to you from your Council?

Food-wise - just had a buddha bowl - of roasted sweet potatoes, roasted portobello mushroom, leftover steamed sprouted broccoli drizzled with bit of tahini sauce, tomatoes and olives. Chucked some vegan "parmesan- alike" over the top of it. It was actually quite tasty.
  • caronc
    edited 10 May 2018 at 8:26PM
    pineapple wrote: »
    It could be worse. It was on the news that a couple had their entire (astroturf) garden stolen! :eek:
    Just discovered that the travelling butcher sells real ham - as opposed to a mushy mix popped out of an extruder into 'ham shaped' moulds :D
    So ham sandwiches for lunch it is then.
    :eek::eek: re the stolen "grass":eek::eek:
    Lucky you re the ham:D
    pineapple wrote: »
    I always experiment with testers first and live with blobs on the wall while I try to make my mind up. Guess whose under stairs cupboard is full of tester pots.... :(
    I must have bought 10+ testers before I settled on the colour for the "feature" wall in my dining room. I was glad I did though as I love the colour I finally chose:D.
    The pots lurked for ages until one Christmas I used them to paint cheap terracotta plant pots which I gave to folk with a hyacinth potted in them. It worked really well so if you want to jazz up any plant pots get the tester pots out of the cupboard. Once painted you can easily seal the paint glaze with some cheap clear varnish if you want to put use them outdoors.:)

After yesterday's wild weather this afternoon turned out lovely and quite warm. Apart from re potting the tumbling hanging basket I didn't get much gardening done but did wash my windows front & back:). Somehow though I managed to strain/sprain my thumb joint and despite ice & arnica it is swollen, stiff and painful tonight. :(Thankfully it's my left hand (I'm right handed), but annoying as that's the hand I use to hold things while my right holds onto my zimmer. Hopefully it will settle overnight.

The soup I made from root veg mash, onion, celery, stock & a splash of milk turned out well. I had some for lunch and there is enough for tomorrow and some for the freezer.

I'm still deciding what to have with pasta tonight, I think either bacon, mushroom & asparagus or a small portion of chicken in a veg & chilli sauce that has been lurking in the freezer since Christmas. I suspect the latter as I'm in cba mode tonight.

MTSTM - ideas for simple veggie "go tos" for me would be - hummus, baba ganoush, chickpea salad, skordalia, stuffed vine leaves, olives, cous cous, roasted veg etc. Yes a wee bit of prep but all keep well in the fridge for a few days so handy to make up a plate/bowl, add a flatbread/pitta and you have a meal in no time:). In the summer I also really like cold cucumber soup loads of recipes online and easily veganised.

ETA - decided between my thumb and dodgy balance that juggling hot pans probably wasn't that wise so opted for a HM RM of roasted veg lasagne from the freezer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I slept in a great solid hand splint last night, both hands, I have to rest my thumbs from time to time and I think I clench my hands in the night. Funny thing is that I always sleep better with the hand splints on, I think that click and sharp pain when moving my thumb, was what was waking me. I will do the same for another two nights and wear a creative comfort splinted mitt during the day, it still enables me to spin or ride my bike

Now I am thinking about what food tomorrow, I need to have some idea or I tend to pick. I will have a boiled egg, sweet leaves and a tomato for breakfast, hemp/cacao/blackcurrant drink later and I need to do a stir fry again as my garlic from last year is now sprouting and I can get through several cloves in one meal. I have various veg to add and some beans to sprinkle. I feel like some pasta with that. Naturally I will also have a few temptations, during the afternoon, ending with rhubarb/half a special yoghurt and some hm granola mixed in. My tummy seems to know what to expect at 5 and I never feel any mouth hunger or hungry pangs after 5 until at least 6 am the next day
  • caronc
    kittie wrote: »
    I slept in a great solid hand splint last night, both hands, I have to rest my thumbs from time to time and I think I clench my hands in the night. Funny thing is that I always sleep better with the hand splints on, I think that click and sharp pain when moving my thumb, was what was waking me. I will do the same for another two nights and wear a creative comfort splinted mitt during the day, it still enables me to spin or ride my bike
    They give great relief don't they? I had to splint up during both my pregnancies but thankfully both times the hand pain at night eased afterwards. I'm another "clencher" but usually find laying my hand/wrist flat along a spare pillow is enough most of the time to ease any aches, though I think I'll "tubigrip" my sore hand tonight.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Today I think I will be going to look at paint/colours. I know the colour I think I want, so that narrows it down a bit.... I hate colours/decisions and choosing/finalising ... especially as once you've decided and get it home it's all different and you don't like it.

I took my dressing gown belt to a diy store to colour match my hall, stairs, landing I knew what colour I wanted but just couldn't find what was in my head. Is it less pressure for you PN if you're selling as you won't have to live with it for long if you get it wrong for your taste?

Putting my garden bin out to night I decided to ensure it was full and had a brilliant idea to do some tidying, still in my work clothes :cool: I've a reaction to something in the garden I think it was the euphorbia, although i through it was the sap which caused me problems. I should have remembered gloves and sleeves :( the rash is finally going down, still a little sore it's probably just as well I'm on hay fever tablets, as even washing my arms didn't work.

Lunch was same as yesterday salad made up of the last bits and bob from the fridge. Dinner was some HM spinach and feta filo triangles, I usually make a batch of 14 to use up all the filo and freeze, they cook really quick in my air fryer from frozen. That's enough salad for the week so I've taken some veggie lasagna out of the freezer for lunch tomorrow.

I should have followed Meg72s example and taken my empty drawer out the freezer, it's now not so empty :o i was led astray when I went for eggs and milk yesterday lunchtime, lots of less than half price meat and fish in Waitrose :cool: I'm consoling myself that I have the protein for at least 21 meals for just over £10.

My sister's threatening to use her key and 'shop' from my kitchen when I'm at work :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback