Is there technology between wifi and 4g any different in terms of safety?

Options
user225688
user225688 Posts: 146 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 4 November 2019 at 1:58PM in Broadband & internet access
Looking at the different packages I will be using one or the other and currently mobile broadband seems to have the edge in terms of savings.

But is 4g as safe as wifi? I don't have a smartphone btw so it is not a case of 'you are already using it'.

From the little reading I have done so far aside from non of them being ionizing the 4g actually runs at lower frequencies than wifi.

So do they both work in just the same manner and 4g runs at a lower frequency than wifi, so if I have used wifi in the past the 4g is just the same stuff at a lower wavelength?

Ie is 4g as well studied as wifi or not? and is this of any concern about things we may not have found out yet? and what about 5g which is newer still but being rolled out?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2019 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Absolutely no concern

4g has been in use worldwide with no issues , WiFi for even longer.

Of course if you look on Google there will be sites claiming all kinds of stuff.

Long article by the world health organisation says "jury out"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5504984/
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • user225688
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Absolutely no concern

4g has been in use worldwide with no issues , WiFi for even longer.

I also edited the OP, what about 5g which is only just being used and many of the networks are starting to offer?

I read that that one goes above the normal ranges of both the former and so it 'new territory'. Though if I wasn't comfortable using that I could just use a device that only translated 4g couldn't I as I have no need for blazing fast speeds; just a few mbps will do just fine.
  • Browntoa
    Options
    Most 5g is using spare 4g capacity , the true 5G spectrum and fastest speeds are yet to arrive.

And same "jury out " applies.

Since the earliest days of mobile use there have been claims it causes brain issues but it's unproven despite many many years of worldwide mobile use
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Options
    This BBC article explains it all well

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48616174
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Most 5g is using spare 4g capacity , the true 5G spectrum and fastest speeds are yet to arrive.

And same "jury out " applies.

Since the earliest days of mobile use there have been claims it causes brain issues but it's unproven despite many many years of worldwide mobile use
    Research funded by the American government suggests otherwise! There is a direct correlation between mobile energy radiation and cancer. If you know anything about the immune system regulation and how the human nervous system controls it then you would understand the risk factors far better.

A researcher from Europe, Scandinavia I think it was warned about the dangers of mobiles and the EM radiation that they transmit. A very knowledgable man who had his career destroyed by the mobile phone industry, you cannot stop profit no matter how dangerous it is!

I do not use wireless tech, no mobile phones, no wifi, no wireless doorbells or smart (dumb) meters. My internet is wired ethernet.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Options
    Dont switch the microwave on.
  • user225688
    Options
    Research funded by the American government suggests otherwise! There is a direct correlation between mobile energy radiation and cancer. If you know anything about the immune system regulation and how the human nervous system controls it then you would understand the risk factors far better.

A researcher from Europe, Scandinavia I think it was warned about the dangers of mobiles and the EM radiation that they transmit. A very knowledgable man who had his career destroyed by the mobile phone industry, you cannot stop profit no matter how dangerous it is!

I do not use wireless tech, no mobile phones, no wifi, no wireless doorbells or smart (dumb) meters. My internet is wired ethernet.

And global warming is a worldwide conspiracy of the left to make money right?
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options

Which research?

There is loads of research funded by pretty much every government and health organisation in the world which says there is no confirmed link (the only reason they can't prove there isn't any link is basically because you can't prove a negative, and it would require a completely isolated set of samples, one exposed to only mobile phone frequency microwaves, and one exposed to none).

There is a great story I've heard from techs about complaints being received of various ailments "due to a new mobile phone mast", by the operator of the mast.
    The mast had no power and hadn't even had the electronics fitted at the time (it was just the frame as there had been delays in getting some of the work done and they didn't fit the equipment until everything else was done).
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nilrem wrote: »
    There is a great story I've heard from techs about complaints being received of various ailments "due to a new mobile phone mast", by the operator of the mast.
    The mast had no power and hadn't even had the electronics fitted at the time (it was just the frame as there had been delays in getting some of the work done and they didn't fit the equipment until everything else was done).

Variations on this have certainly happened.
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options

You can file the above post alongside the anti-vaccine posts and the claims of David Icke.

There is no plausible mechanism for WiFi to cause health issues. The photons don’t have enough energy to knock electrons out of atomic bonds, so simply cannot cause cancer.

You are already bathed in the same frequencies from natural sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure