We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Where should I store pots of bulbs?

Arthog
Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I've planted up spare 5-inch terracotta pots with Hyacinths and miniature Narcissi. They are intended to be sold to raise funds for the charity where I volunteer.
Where should I store the pots for the Winter? Could be outdoors, in the cold greenhouse, or in the house.
They'll be taken in to be sold as and when they look good next year.

I've also planted sprouting root ginger. They are in the greenhouse but don't look happy. Would they do better in the house do you think?

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ginger in the house definitely if it's the supermarket variety. Mine sits on a windowsill above a radiator and seems quite happy
    I've some Japanese Ginger which is supposed to be quite hardy but as this is its first winter, I'm also keeping it indoors this time around

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,219 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Arthog wrote: »
    I've planted up spare 5-inch terracotta pots with Hyacinths and miniature Narcissi. They are intended to be sold to raise funds for the charity where I volunteer.
    Where should I store the pots for the Winter? Could be outdoors, in the cold greenhouse, or in the house.
    They'll be taken in to be sold as and when they look good next year.
    I'd opt for outdoors in a sheltered spot, reason being you want flowers and not forced leaves which could happen if too warm, even in cold greenhouse on a sunny day

Plus slight possibility of aphids if warm, not much likelihood outdoors overwinter

Once buds are showing and nearly ready then you could move into cold greenhouse just for a bit of a boost prior to sale
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure