No longer in use

Comments

• As a parent myself with two adult children I can understand where your parents are coming from. I can also understand your reluctance in accepting. However when reading your posts you come across as being a very resourceful, hard-working mum, doing the best for your son and watching your expenditure. This work sounds expensive and unfortunate not to be covered by insurance.
    Your parents generosity is to enable you to continue to live without the stress of an enormous building works bill. They are offering because the money is essential, you are not out clubbing, buying flash cars or having a designer wardrobe. You are managing as a single parent, giving your son all the right messages for his future. A difficult job which you do very well.
    Buy them a large bunch of flowers and say thank you. They will understand and know how much you appreciate their kindness. It is what parents do, and they will be happy to know they have helped you.

Exactly. I second this as a mum and grandma I would do the same.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 October 2018 at 7:02PM
    Sorry to hijack your diary MeandO - but I just wanted to thank everyone that has posted from a parent/grandparent perspective. My mam has been a massive financial help with my divorce and I've felt awfully guilty about it - it's very reassuring to think of things from her point of view. So thanks. And get rid of him HSL - you will feel better in the long run. :kiss:
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you both and glad the posts have helped you too CCL x

Another £30 added to the pot from an eBay sale. :)
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6523.98/£15,000
  • MeandO
    edited 30 September 2018 at 11:27PM
    I’ve made another sale on eBay tonight and have been able to transfer another £10 to the pot.

Once this nightmare is over and the house is all fixed, at least I know I do have the ability to save money and build up funds even when it seems like I have very little spare cash most months.

I’m hoping for a better night’s sleep tonight. I was woken in the early hours by the sound of rubble falling twice and then a huge cracking noise. :( I really thought one end of the house was going. I’m so desperate to get this nightmare over with.
  • MeandO
    Work has not been a happy place this morning (it never is, but today has been particularly bad!) and I have a raging headache from the stress, worry and unease. The lack of much sleep lately is probably not helping much either.

I have jostled builders this morning and reminded them that I exist. Am not expecting them to have been there today though, it didn't sound promising. Hopefully work starts in earnest again tomorrow.

The chicken I cooked on Saturday just wouldn't cook and ended up in the bin. :( I don't know what it is about my oven, but it can be so temperamental and doesn't seem to like chickens... or cakes. It often chars the outsides and renders the insides raw. I didn't want to risk the chicken making us all ill, so it went in the bin. :(

DS and I did some baking yesterday though which turned out ok. Brownies for a colleague's birthday at work and spares for OH's parents and some sent the ex's way for his gf and her family - don't think I'll bother sending them that way next time though, he's not exactly appreciative and I wouldn't be surprised if they're just left in his car for a week. Don't know why I bother.
    We also made dairy-free cakes for DS, although these still seemed to exacerbate his symptoms so there must be something else that he is intolerant to. :(

OH and I went for a walk for a few hours yesterday, just to get out in the air and relieve a bit of stress. We popped to the supermarket on the way back and bought some bits needed for the week and some meat to make a big pot of stew tonight for the next couple of days. OH also kindly bought me some treats to take to work for my lunch today. :)

DS is going to his friend's house after school tonight so I plan to hoover through the house and possibly cut the grass if it's dry enough. I also need to wrap the ebay sales and make and package some of the craft sales to post this week. I downloaded the ziffit app last week and found approx £12 worth of books and dvds to get rid of, so I need to package those for posting too.

DS has also been invited to a party next week, so I will need to buy a present for that. I don't think I have anything in my present box which is suitable, but possibly have a card. I will double check.
  • MeandO
    £18.62 added to the pot from some craft sales, bringing the total saved to over £1700. :) I can’t wait until I’ve reached the halfway mark, it will feel a bit easier then hopefully.
  • I'm keeping everything crossed that the building work starts again tomorrow (and sorry for my calling you HSL by accident - my brain appears to have deserted me). Hopefully this nightmare will be done soon - your savings are very inspiring though :D
  • MeandO
    I'm keeping everything crossed that the building work starts again tomorrow (and sorry for my calling you HSL by accident - my brain appears to have deserted me). Hopefully this nightmare will be done soon - your savings are very inspiring though :D

Don’t worry CCL, I knew what you meant! I just wish I had the baking prowess of HSL! Xx
  • MeandO
    DS was at his friend’s house after school today, so I managed to get a few things done that I couldn’t do whilst he was around. I noticed last night that there was green mould appearing on the wallpaper behind a couple of mirrors that I have on two downstairs walls again :( so I took them off and sprayed them with anti-fungal spray and washed it all down. It’s also warped the back boards of the mirrors, so I sprayed those too and let the, dry off. Hopefully that will keep it at bay for a while. Hoping too that the problem will be eradicated once the building work is done and the walls are no longer damp from the wet insulation. :(

I also cleaned my front door and some high-up window panels in the porch area. I opened all the windows up to let the house air through as it was a nice day, albeit a bit cold and windy tonight.

I’ve cooked a huge pan of lamb & veg stew which had fed OH and well tonight, will provide me with lunch tomorrow and will make another 8 or so portions. I just wish DS would eat it, but there’s no chance!

I’m going to have to bite the bullet tomorrow and ask the builders to take up my relatively new carpet upstairs and look at the floor for me. I have a horrible feeling there are joist problems now too. :( I sincerely hope I’m wrong.
  • MeandO
    I woke up early this morning after a nightmare, completely out of the blue, about the ex's family. :(
    The back story is that one of them made it very obvious they never liked me 'throughout' and were just horrible to me when the ex and I (very amicably) split and made matters horrendously worse for everybody. I got upset this morning that, even now, albeit in my dreams, I'm still allowing them to subject me to that. It made all of those horrible feelings I felt at the time, return and I've been feeling upset and uneasy ever since. :(

I've tried to chase the builder today, apparently he's in a meeting...
    I doubt there's any work going on at the house today then. :(

Lunch is some of yesterday's stew. Tea for me will be something easy for one, DS will probably have some fish from the freezer.

I need to pack the parcels tonight and make some of the craft sales, ready to post and also return an item for a refund that arrived damaged - one of the frames I ordered last week.

Not feeling the love for today. :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills