PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dogs in rented houses

Hi
I am looking for a house to rent but all adverts say no pets.
I have a Labrador - do you think any landlord would ever accept a dog ?
I emailed one agent to ask if it was possible in a house I liked but they said no.
I wouldn’t know how to contact the landlord directly .

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Pot luck.

There are LLs who accept dogs. It's just a question of luck whether you find th right house with the right LL.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes with some landlords if you're prepared to pay an additional deposit to cover damages and cleaning.
    No idea how you track them down but my road has a number of rental properties where tenants have dogs so it's clearly doable.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • restless6
    restless6 Posts: 468
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.
    My dog has never damaged anything but I guess landlords won!!!8217;t know that will they.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    House next door to us is rented, last tenants were evicted, had two neglected dogs that barked on and off all day and night, they did not have permission to have them there, plus a lodger without permission.
    Many landlords have had bad experiences with dogs so instruct agents not to accept them.
    Try a wanted add on local Facebook selling site?
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,201
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    All the dogs i know smell. None of the owners think they smell. Hence extra deposits etc; cleaning may cost more.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You need to contact landlords directly rather than go through agencies, you'll have a much better success rate. My sister has had no problems renting with her menagerie.

Look in local papers, shop windows, staff noticeboards etc. OpenRent is also very good for this.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Slithery wrote: »
    You need to contact landlords directly rather than go through agencies, you'll have a much better success rate. My sister has had no problems renting with her menagerie.

Look in local papers, shop windows, staff noticeboards etc. OpenRent is also very good for this.

You generally cannot contact landlords directly, all my tenants have dogs, as a dog lover I actually base my business on this as tenants with dogs find it more difficult to find places to rent they tend to stay longer... Ive had a few scratched doors etc but nothing a bit of polyfiler and paint as not sorted, I do ask that the carpets are professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy.

It might be the case you need to go to all the local agents and register with them and say you are looking for somewhere that will accept a dog, it will limit your choice but it is possible.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    You generally cannot contact landlords directly.

Really?

That's news to me and a lot of my friends that rent :)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    All the dogs i know smell. None of the owners think they smell. Hence extra deposits etc; cleaning may cost more.

Loads of humans stink too though to be fair.
  • topsales
    topsales Posts: 351 Forumite
    I have rented my past 2 houses with 2 dogs and a cat. One was a private rental and one through an agent. Just a case of keeping looking and phoning to check. A larger deposit may be required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure