PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Off topic but Caronc you have no idea how jealous I am at the thought that someone actually has to straighten their hair. I'd kill just for a bit of a wave.
    Off topic - don't think that's a known thing on here:rotfl::rotfl:
    Of I course I would love to have poker straight frizz-free hair:D

Fingers crossed your delivery turns up MTSTM

Great news re the contract change - hope all goes smoothly MrAPJI
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hm pizza on enamel plates just does not work. They completely stuck on and I have spent quite a time, soaking and scraping, having eaten both toppings which were nice. So cba later and oaty/berry/yogurt/almond ambrosia here I come, my last meal.

Been hailing here and now sunny, got to sit in the sun rather than be on my laptop, love it in the sun here

btw, bungalow I viewed yesterday is now stc, went on sale yesterday. I`ll be watching how the leylandii next door take over, the dozens of new ones, planted by an obviously disgruntled neighbour in a big house. Be nice if they cut them but doubt they will as the 6` rickety fence was obviously not high enough and will very rapidly start to fall down on the bungalow side. Developers will be long gone
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Off topic but Caronc you have no idea how jealous I am at the thought that someone actually has to straighten their hair. I'd kill just for a bit of a wave.

Just hair would be nice:D

Quick burst into garden to empty the tea pot, the sun's warm now, and my apricot tree is about to blossom [never had one apricot off it, ever ]. Spring is really any day here, cherry tree opposite is getting pink, the fuchsias yellow, with buds, ready to blossom. And now it is raining:o

No change on dinner plans, really lazy one of opening packs and heating through

All "office work" and Sherlocking completed for the day, time for a cuppa before getting oven on
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bouicca - I know what you mean ,I've often wanted waves and curls but there are definite bonuses to having poker straight hair, I recent spa day saw me blow dried and ready to go in less than 5 mins all my 5 friends spent ages pulling their hair straight, then using straighteners.
    Well not very relaxing day , I ended up hoovering and putting curtains up, washing out and dried, lovely day here. My sister called as I was doing my nails with her dgd. Then her hubby called on his break from work.
    I've had a lunch of gfree crusty roll with ham salad, and a pear . I've just had a banana as I'm peckish,going to sit down for an hour in the conservatory with some music on now .:T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Farway you must be in warmer climes than me.
    My cherry only just starting to sprout, I've got mini daffs out, and 2 rhododendrons in bud.
    Looks like the snow affected a few climbers and shrubs look a bit withered, hope they perk up again.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Well - I know what dinner is going to be now - the delivery I was absolutely firmly promised today without fail hasn't happened/isn't going to happen. I now have an absolutely firm promise for tomorrow:cool::cool:. A lot of all this clearly isn't down to The Weather - "words" have been had.:cool:

So dinner is going to be cba then - it would be so nice if I could still feel positive/creative whatever-everyone-else-gets-up-to (or doesnt):cool:. I'm still working on that one......

So guess it's going to be pasta with "sorta bolognaise" (so the last of that soya "mincemeat" again I guess/canned tomatoes/onions/every flavouring I can think of etc etc again).

The "other portion" worth might have to go in the freezer - as I'll be having my main meal out tomorrow (having arranged to be out for the day - so I still will be regardless of any difficulty the deliverers might have in finding my house:D:rotfl:). Some of this lateness is definitely down to them personally - so #shrugs...if they land up not being able to find my house....I'll just cancel/get a refund/buy again from another firm....

Next please.......
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Good evening everyone,
    Spring has definitely not sprung here, we've only got another blinking weather warning for snow/ice again for tonight/tomorrow!:mad:

I finally made a half quantity of https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/03/leek-mushroom-kale-pea-stir-fry-the-new-vegan-meera-sodha for lunch today. It was very tasty and I've a portion that'll cover for lunch tomorrow. :) The only downside altough filling at the time, it wasn't very substantial so although fine for a light meal I wouldn't want it for a main with out adding a protein element to it.

I've resisted the temptation to have filled giant YP and have chicken wings defrosting for later.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sorry to report the M & S giant Yorkie chicken thingy was just in the OK category

I did not like the taste of the mini chipolatas in there, and the sort of brownish jelly gunge was very off putting. I just ate it and thought never again.

On the plus side, steamed frozen veg was OK, as was LO Xmas turkey. Filled me up anyway & I will not need anything else to eat tonight

Just spotted a post by PN on another thread, boiled fruit cake. maybe after my weekend weigh in I will investigate further
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Forumite
    I definitely think a lot of M&S food is not as good as it once was these days!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 March 2018 at 7:41PM
    I've probably eaten just 2-3 M&S ready meals in my life, over 20 years ago. What I found was that the contents inside the packaging used to very closely resemble the photo on the box .... something you can NEVER say is true of other ready meals.

They're simply too pricey for me .... I'm more your 80p-£1 ready meal buyer. But when you stare at a box and think how much it'd cost to make it, it's often just a shock at the price of the ready meal version for "quite simple" foods. Some meals take a lot of prep, faffing about, with several ingredients .... but something like a mac cheese can be knocked up in a nuker from scratch in under 10 minutes without breaking into a sweat, so I'd begrudge paying more than 80p for a mac cheese (and I haven't actually bought an 80p one for 2-3 years) ....

There are now chicken dinners in the chilled section of L1dl/4ldi - tiny bit of chicken, tiny roastie, small yorkie, tiny spot of veg ... £2.49. Not value. If you only have £2.50 in your pocket and need a meal, then fine.... but with a bit more money you can buy an entire chicken breast joint (£2.49) or 1Kg of chicken breasts (£3.33). Bag of cheap yorkies (50p). Pack of instant mash .... bag of fresh carrots (25p) and a 1Kg of peas (£1).... so for the price of 2 ready meals you can make your own/similar for the price of two of them and have 4-5 dinners, with leftovers still for more!

When I buy ready meals it's rarely because they taste better than I can make myself, it's because I'm feeling lazy, or because one element is "too much faffing about". And, of course, it's a simple "cook this in X minutes and have no leftovers, no clearing up to do". No repeat eating of it for the next 3-4 days.

But, as I say, in the main, I simply don't see the value in them - especially as an increasing number of the bottom end of the price ranges have simply disappeared in recent years. 80p used to buy me a nice selection .... now £1.50 offers a reduced selection of slimey looking small portions of grot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback