PIP awarded - is payment backdated?

Comments

• Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    RE: SDP
    If eligible she will get SDP alongside the Enhanced component for being in support group.

She needs to ring DWP using the number on her ESA award letter and inform them that she would like to apply for the SDP.

They may ask her a few questions to check if she is eligible. They may also send out a form to complete, again just to check eligibility.

Tom
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    megansden wrote: »
    Hi!

Please help with this one

Leading up to my 65 birthday I was on Full DLA, then invited to claim PIP and lost the Motorbility part of it by then I was 65 I am 67 now and have had another face to face with with health expert and also have been diagnosed with a health condition that I was born with which is causing serious problems with mobility etc although been awarded enhanced rate for care they will not award enhanced on mobility even though they acknowledge that mobility needs are there.
    They say that the law states that the enhanced rate for mobility needs cannot be awarded after the age 65, my argument is that the problem I have has always been there there should be awarded

Has anyone got any opinions please and is there any point in appealing on there decision

you should have appealed the decision not to award PIP mobility at the time you were transferred from DLA.

if as you say, the prpoblems were there at the time, why wait for a reassessment to complain?
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nannytone wrote: »
    there is no disability premium with ESA, as it is already covered by the higher benefit amount.

the premium you refer to for her being in the support group is the Enhanced Disability Premium.

if she qualifies for the Severe Disability Premium, she will receive both the SDP and the EDP

I've looked at the gov.uk site about ESA and it does seem there is a severe disability premium payable with ESA so I don't understand why you say there isn't, nannytone.

Probably I'm missing something...can you explain please?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I've looked at the gov.uk site about ESA and it does seem there is a severe disability premium payable with ESA so I don't understand why you say there isn't, nannytone.

Probably I'm missing something...can you explain please?

i never said that there wasn't a severe disability premium with ESA.
    i said there wasn't a disability premium, which there isn't.

on ESA there are 2 premiums for disability.
    the severe disability premium
    the enhanced disability premium.

with income related JSA and income support there a 3 premiums for disability

the disability premium
    severe disability premium
    enhanced disability premium.

hence my comment that the disability premium is NOT payable with ESA
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nannytone wrote: »
    i never said that there wasn't a severe disability premium with ESA.
    i said there wasn't a disability premium, which there isn't.

on ESA there are 2 premiums for disability.
    the severe disability premium
    the enhanced disability premium.

with income related JSA and income support there a 3 premiums for disability

the disability premium
    severe disability premium
    enhanced disability premium.

hence my comment that the disability premium is NOT payable with ESA
    Thanks nannytone. So will my friend get the enhanced disability premium? And if so, what is that amount please?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Thanks nannytone. So will my friend get the enhanced disability premium? And if so, what is that amount please?
    She should already be getting the Enhanced Disability Premium because she's in the support group, it's £15.75 per week for a single person. The SDP Severe Disability Premium which you need to apply for is £61.85 per week. For this she needs to phone ESA and ask for a form to be sent out.
  • megansden
    megansden Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 9:43AM
    Do you think I should appeal now? even though they say that the law says they cannot award enhanced mobility now (which I have never heard of or know where to look) with my health now confirmed that I had this problem all my life, already made mind up to appeal anyway

megansden
  • I did leave it too late to appeal at that time through health issues which I know does help the situation but will appeal now to see if it can be turned around does anyone know about this law issue of not awarding enhanced mobility after the age of 65 but Care be enhanced after the age of 65, seems strange to me
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I did leave it too late to appeal at that time through health issues which I know does help the situation but will appeal now to see if it can be turned around does anyone know about this law issue of not awarding enhanced mobility after the age of 65 but Care be enhanced after the age of 65, seems strange to me
    You have asked these questions on someone elses thread. It would be much better if you started your own thread with these questions so they don't get missed.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I did leave it too late to appeal at that time through health issues which I know does help the situation but will appeal now to see if it can be turned around does anyone know about this law issue of not awarding enhanced mobility after the age of 65 but Care be enhanced after the age of 65, seems strange to me

Here is an AgeUK leaflet where this issue is explained

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS87_Personal_independence_payment_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

I guess it is designed to fit in with Attendance Allowance where there is no mobility payment either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure