ERUDIO student loans help

Comments

• anna2007
    anna2007 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    On the DD requirement, could Erudio be relying on something in the form used when applying for the loans? As far as I can remember, the original DD mandate was attached to the application form, and had to be completed before being accepted.

There could have been terms included on that form, or something in the declaration, relating to the DD - does anyone remember, or even better, have a copy of an application form?
  • anna2007 wrote: »
    When you escalate it to the ombudsman, you could ask if it's fair and reasonable that Erudio customers on the pre-98 agreement are being disadvantaged and treated differently to later borrowers, simply because the clause in the later agreement was updated to make it DPA compliant.

Ask the ombudsman if it's fair and reasonable for Erudio to disclose pre-98 deferred loans, when SLC, Thesis or HSL don't do it for the pre-98 loans they own.

You could also ask if it's fair and reasonable for Erudio to say they will report our loans, and then do nothing (i.e. threaten and intimidate its customers).

Does FOS's position that reporting loans is fair & reasonable change if more of us who don't agree complain & tell them so? The more of us who say its unfair can't all be wrong....
    I agree completely... If the FOS is more concerned about 'fair and reasonable' then the fact that this latest statement by them means they feel clause 16 is broad enough to report to CRAs, then that really has to be a case of mis-selling by any stretch of imagination! Not only that but as we all know, people who also live in our households also get affected.
    In my case however I was sent one DAF to defer four loans some of which are pre-98 and others post-98 and so in my mind after reading what others had written and through a little research I assumed I was being wise in not bringing all of them 'in to line' for ESL by submitting their DAF.
    Their failure to respond in good time pushing myself and many others in to arrears is yet another can of worms the FOS or someone in authority should address.

This is one of the major themes of my complaint. Even if you take out the lack of large print communication an awful lot of correspondence still hasn't reached me in any format, & a few of my letters & most of my emails are ignored.

I had a refund of my payment clear today back onto my c/c :T. Looks like they're finally getting some of their ducks in a row (at least in my case :rotfl:)
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
  • anna2007
    I've put an FOI request in to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland for the MS loan application form, DD mandate and guidance -

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/application_form_for_student_fin

I would have applied to the SAAS, although I'm not sure if they issued the form. I think the SLC are the equivalent body for Student Finance England, but I'd risk going over the cost limit if I put another request in to them. Would anyone else be willing to submit an FOI request to SLC?

There are separate agencies for Wales and N. Ireland, which I'll send requests to later.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm starting to lose track of all of the various strands going on now, but wasn't the bit about the loans not affecting our credit ratings from the original parliamentary discussion on the very first loans?
  • anna2007
    AReeves wrote: »
    The loan terms and conditions are those on the agreement (either the pre 1998 Agreement or the post 1998 Agreement plus the prescribed terms in the Regulations. On the loan agreements it says: "on the terms and conditions of this Agreement as set out on this page and overleaf".

There is a presumption in law (parol evidence rule) that the written contract contains the entire agreement between the parties. So in my opinion, the only Terms that form part of the agreement are those on the Loan agreement and the prescribed terms in the 1998 Regulations.

Anthony Reeves
    Thanks Anthony, that's good to know.

The reason I was asking is because I was looking at the current application form for student finance last night, and there are nearly 2 pages of terms in the declaration, one of which is that you confirm you've read the t&c's online, which are linked to. I don't know if current students need to sign a separate agreement, but it looks like the application form is the agreement.

Our MS loans would have worked differently, but it made me wonder if there were extra terms on our application form, and whether they could form part of the loan agreement.

The terms on the current form are on pages 23-24 of 36 here:

http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media/682892/sfe_pn1_form_1415_d.pdf
  • Hi Anna2007 & JeLaw and thanks for the replies.

As I am well below the threshold then deferment should be a given, so I guess reclaiming any wrongly taken money shouldn't too be much of an issue either - apart from any feet dragging that may occur; however, if others have been granted deferment without having provided a D/D then it's also tempting to take that route.

I'll ponder my options over the weekend and take definitive action one way or another on Monday.

And yes, I'll happily post any replies I get from Euridio.

When the sale was initially announced I remember how the 'Comments' section on a certain search engine was full of talk about how the Bills of Exchange Act applies due to there (apparently) not having been any agreement within the original T&Cs with regards the SLC selling the loans on to a third party at some point in the future, and that unless they can now provide an original Deed of Assignment that says otherwise, or, I now make a contract by contacting them in order to 'discuss' the loan, then I am, in effect, contract free and not liable to pay them any money. It seems some people have pulled it off although there isn't a great deal online about it (at least not that I can find). Truth is, I didn't have a problem in principal of repaying my debt to the SLC, but now this lot are involved it's a different matter. Still, as long as they can be put on a tight leash and made to play fair then I guess it'll work out one way or another. Thank goodness for sites/threads like this where people can work together to tackle any dodgy tactics being used.

On another issue, while I do have a very small amount of savings in my Current Account it's not enough to draw off any level of interest that can contribute towards my living expenses and I only spend what goes in there from my wages, so I'm going with not declaring any savings as such and therefore don't see a need to give them a copy of my statements.
  • Pluthero
    Pluthero Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post
    My FOS complaint has been upheld. Yet it still feels like I lost:(

Here is the outcome:

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr Trapped in an unwanted [FONT=&quot]F[/FONT]austian pact with devils.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] The basis of your complaint relates to the business’ failure to defer your student loan.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] You are also not satisfied with the business’ request for you to complete a Deferment Application Form (DAF) and that details of your loan will be reported to credit reference agencies. You are also concerned that it will be registered as a ‘payment holiday’ on your credit file which could adversely affect your credit rating.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] A request to defer the loan was originally made by you on 1 May 2014, however, you did not submit the standard DAF requested by the business. As such, the deferment was not processed at this time.

You stated that you were concerned by the volume of information being requested in the DAF which you considered to be irrelevant. This was explained in a letter to the business and instead of completing the DAF, you submitted information i.e. evidence of your income that you considered was relevant and consistent with the information you had provided previously to the Student Loans Company.

The business responded to you on 19 May 2014 and sent you another DAF to complete – the business did not, however, respond to any of the points you had highlighted in your letter nor explain to you why the information you had submitted was insufficient to process the deferment.

On 29 May 2014, you made a formal complaint to the business about your loan not being deferred.

A response was sent to you by the business on 12 August 2014, two and a half months later. At this time, the deferment had still not been processed and to date, the situation has not changed.

In settlement, you would like the loan deferred and to be compensated for the inconvenience you have been caused. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Additionally, you do not want the deferment to be reported with credit reference agencies as a ‘payment holiday’ as this may have a negative impact on your credit rating.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Having considered the circumstances of your complaint, I am of the view that it should be upheld.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I do not consider that your enquiries and concerns were addressed appropriately and your complaint was not responded to in a timely manner or in sufficiently clear terms.

Had this been done at outset, I am persuaded that a DAF could have been submitted and the deferment could have been processed without any delays.

With regard to the issue of the business reporting information about your deferred loan to credit reference agencies, I would advise that Student Loans Company Limited (SLC) did not report regular information about the loans to credit reference agencies, however, the terms and conditions of loans taken out between 1990 and 1997, as in your case, did effectively permit the SLC (and subsequently Erudio Student Loans) to report information about loans, including whether they are in deferment, up to date, in arrears or in default – it simply elected not to do so.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Therefore, in reporting information about loans to credit reference agencies, the business is not acting outside the terms and conditions and these have not changed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] With regard to loans taken out from 1998, disclosure will only occur if the account is in arrears or default. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Borrowers with these loans are being offered the option to consent for their up to date accounts to be reported. If consent is withheld, these loans will not be reported to credit reference agencies unless they are in default or in arrears. As I have stated, however, this only relates to loans taken out from 1998.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I understand your sentiments regarding this, however, this office is satisfied that the permitted level of reporting is not unreasonable provided the information is an accurate reflection of the account.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Regarding your concerns as to the completion of the DAF, I would advise that if the completion of this is required by the business in order to defer the loan, then you will need to do so. We are unable to enforce the business to defer the loan without the completion of the DAF.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] The business has advised that deferments are going to be reported with the credit reference agencies as payment holidays and I understand your concerns in respect of this. According to Experian, however, provided these are reported as a ‘u’ in the monthly status report, it should not have a negative impact on credit scores. I hope this mitigates any concerns that you may have in respect of this.[/FONT] (The use of the word SHOULD really does not fill me with much confidence.):mad:

[FONT=&quot] For your information, the business has advised that it has or is in the process of updating its deferment policy. It is also currently working on a new DAF with clearer wording[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] As I have explained, it is my view that your complaint should be upheld.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] In settlement, it is my recommendation that once a DAF is submitted and accepted, the new deferment period should be back-dated 3 months before the date the application is accepted.

The business should also ensure that no adverse information is recorded on your credit file.

In addition, any arrears on the loan after the last deferment period should be removed.

Lastly, you have been caused trouble and upset and in recognition of this, it is my view that you should be compensated. In the circumstances of your complaint, I consider the sum of £75 to be appropriate.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Having put my recommendations to the business, I am pleased to advise that once you have completed, signed and submitted the business’ DAF, it has agreed to write off the arrears and subsequently back-date your deferment date to ensure a continuation of your deferment. This will ensure there is no deferment gap and, therefore, no adverse information would be recorded as a consequence.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] You now need to consider this offer. [/FONT]
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Pluthero wrote: »
    Regarding your concerns as to the completion of the DAF, I would advise that if the completion of this is required by the business in order to defer the loan, then you will need to do so. We are unable to enforce the business to defer the loan without the completion of the DAF.

Its not required though. So they can force them if they had been arssed to look at the complaint properly.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • rmd_2
    rmd_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I would like to share with you my wife and I's victory against Erudio Student Loans.

My wife lets her old house at £375, but after mortgage interest, commission, insurance and general expenses, ie. all the allowable expenses for tax purposes, the average monthly profit that the tax was paid on was £131.83. My wife declared this as her income from self employment, and supplied supporting evidence to that effect in the form of Self Assessment return. In addition to this, she declared her salary, and her half of our Child Benefit, again supplying our joint account bank statement.

In all, this was below the deferment threshold. However, Erudio had other ideas and, using the information supplied, took the rental income of £375 to be income, and added this to her salary, then took the whole of the Child Benefit payment rather than 50%. By doing this, it tipped her monthly earnings over the deferment threshold and she was refused deferment.

I sent a long winded complaint letter and yesterday they replied, upholding part of the complaint, saying they agree with me on most of it, but not all, but they did not go into specifics.

They blamed 'human error' for incorrectly calculating the gross monthly income. Upshot is that wife is getting the deferment backdated to November, a refund for the payments that have been taken since, and £100 'in recognition of the inconvenience and additional costs our actions have caused you'.

However, my cynical self thinks that they will not have learnt anything of this episode, and continue to apply their crooked methodology on other borrowers in future.

I am writing again to Erudio to ask for specific details on why they changed their calculation and once I have their response, I will then decide on further action.
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I know what you mean Pluthero, it does read like other things are coming as well (thinking the CRA part and the suggestion of what may be coming in relation to the reporting of the loans on our credit files). Good you took them for some cash though as well, even though its nothing for the stress this thing has caused, thats the only thing that will keep hitting them in the gonads (well, after bad publicity that is).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback