PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shrunken woollen garments - crafty ideas

A male friend gave me a lot of very nice cashmere and merino jumpers which I have stupidly shrunk. They fit still but are a bit short so don't keep me so snug.

I also managed to shrink some nice woollen socks.

A while ago I made a hot water bottle cover by deliberately (on this occasion) shrinking a cashmere jumper so it became like felt. It's a bit amateur but keeps hot water bottle hotter for hours longer than shop bought covers do.

Made me think:

I could make a blanket with my shrunken jumpers but could I be more ambitious and make a big jumper or jacket. It would just be for home use (our house is freezing even now in April!)

Anyone got any in spring ideas? Patterns?

Going to google this too.

Comments

• JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Found this....
    http://blog.lostinparis.com.au/subscribe/free-pattern-how-to-make-a-reversible-felted-sweater-coat/

But my jumpers are all black, dark blue, grey.... They'd look dull in comparison!
  • Got a hot water bottle cover from one of my husbands old jumpers and it is amazingly warm, love the coat! Wonder if felted wool slippers would work?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cosy-slippers-from-your-old-woolly-jumper/
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,486
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • You can send them away and get them turned into cashmere gloves

https://www.turtle-doves.co.uk/pages/recycle-my-cashmere-jumper
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Really want something to keep my whole self warm rather than just hands or feet. And I'd like to do it myself.
    But my friend says that coat is hideous !
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    They are your sweaters. You plan to wear the garment in your home. The pattern for the coat involves a lot of seams, of thin strips. I reckon you could make a perfectly warm if rather less aiming-for-the-etsy market garment without as much hassle - but you need the nerve & the time to set shears to sweater. You may even need to wash them and felt them further for shears to be safe, or spend a while whipping edges to be certain - another (strong) argument for using the biggest blocks you can get away with!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    JennyP wrote: »
    A male friend gave me a lot of very nice cashmere and merino jumpers which I have stupidly shrunk. They fit still but are a bit short so don't keep me so snug.

I also managed to shrink some nice woollen socks.

A while ago I made a hot water bottle cover by deliberately (on this occasion) shrinking a cashmere jumper so it became like felt. It's a bit amateur but keeps hot water bottle hotter for hours longer than shop bought covers do.

Made me think:

I could make a blanket with my shrunken jumpers but could I be more ambitious and make a big jumper or jacket. It would just be for home use (our house is freezing even now in April!)

Anyone got any in spring ideas? Patterns?

Going to google this too.

I'm speechless at the bit in bold. :eek:

Someone on the 'charity shop bargains' thread mentioned a company called Turtle Doves. You send an old cashmere garment & they send you a pair of gloves, they use the wood from your gloves to make more gloves.
    One poster - Miro, I think - was going to try to make her own..
    On my phone so can't do links.
    Might be an idea for Christmas gifts.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,486
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    What about this little get up :rotfl:

70700063-_F210-41_AE-_B929-_B6474115_B4_E1.jpg
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts