First Direct 7 day switch confusion

Opened FD a/c via the MSE link a moment ago - all fine until I got to the end re switching account via CASS and provided required info - but application states earliest switch 19th APRIL!

Will I still get the bonus?

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I have never done a switch before and if I will not I will need to enquire as to why it will not take 7days as stated..

TIA

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The 7 day clock starts ticking later, as per http://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/banking/switching-bank-accounts#faqs:
    Is opening an account and switching all part of the same process?

No, they're separate. First, you must fully open a first direct Current Account (our 1st Account). Once your 1st Account is open, the switching process can begin.
    In other words, you should be satisfied that you have the relevant cards, PINs, online access, etc, before initiating the switch.
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Thanks for reply ESKbanker, appreciated.

So why is the switch option at the end of the app process? I thought if I failed to request it then, I would be ineligible for the bonus.

I had literally been advised online that the application was successful before this switch info came up?

I understood that the technical process starts later, but nothing advised I would need the FD card or pin...
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 2:18PM
    Jhoney wrote: »
    I thought if I failed to request it then, I would be ineligible for the bonus.
    The general T&C for the bonus are very clear:
    If you ..., switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service and pay in at least £1,000 within three months of opening the account, we'll top it up with £100
    I am sure MSE's deal terms are no different.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    So why is the switch option at the end of the app process? I thought if I failed to request it then, I would be ineligible for the bonus.
    The terms of the switching offer state that "If you open a 1st Account, switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service and pay in at least £1,000 within three months of opening the account, we'll top it up with £100", i.e. you have three months to work with and don't need to do it all in one go.
    I understood that the technical process starts later, but nothing advised I would need the FD card or pin...
    Not sure why they wouldn't make this clear but if you think about it, why would you want to switch all your banking (in theory at least) to an account that's not fully operational, i.e. where you couldn't get your money out of it?
  • Jhoney_2
    edited 20 March 2017 at 2:19PM
    grumbler wrote: »
    The general T&C for the bonus are very clear:
    I am sure MSE's deal terms are no different.

Thanks grumbler. Yes I am not objecting to the terms as written or suggesting a fault with MSE link - it was just the FD screen info as I did the application together with the £125 bonus March deadline which left me muddled.

Anyway, it seems my concerns are unjustifed so that's ok.:)
  • Jhoney_2
    eskbanker wrote: »
    The terms of the switching offer state that "If you open a 1st Account, switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service and pay in at least £1,000 within three months of opening the account, we'll top it up with £100", i.e. you have three months to work with and don't need to do it all in one go.

Not sure why they wouldn't make this clear but if you think about it, why would you want to switch all your banking (in theory at least) to an account that's not fully operational, i.e. where you couldn't get your money out of it?

Good point, but as I was able to access and fund the account i'm switching within 10 minutes by internet without PIN or card, I expected the same.

Thanks for the timely and helpful advice:)
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I can confirm you don't need to request the switch as part of your application to benefit from the switching incentive, you can just call them whenever you're ready to switch.
  • Londonlisa12
    Londonlisa12 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 2:58PM
    I have also in the last hour opened the FD current account through the MSE link.
    I was accepted and told I would receive within 2 days paper work to sign and send back.
    I was then given the option to switch banks through the CASS process but declined since I thought it odd not yet having a up and running acc with FD and won't have until I have returned the signed forms.
    My query now is how I get to the switching process with the MSE link since
    I would need to go through the "open account" process again to get to the switch option.
    Or can the switching process only be done over the phone once you've bypassed it when opening the account.I only ask this since I can not find any links to switch only a telephone number to ring to switch.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    My query now is how I get to the switching process with the MSE link since
    I would need to go through the "open account" process again to get to the switch option.
    With MSE link you have to apply for the account.
    Then you have to switch without any link. There is an option in your online banking or you can phone them.
    I only ask this since I can not find any links to switch only a telephone number to ring to switch.
    Account servicing >> Switch your banking to us
  • grumbler,thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure