Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to add, I finally received an email after midnight last night, two in fact hours apart, both identical including a new contract to sign.

It is wrong though and includes,
    Mix TV,
    100Mbps Broadband, should be 150Mbps,
    Telephone Line

Listed as £45 for a 12 month contract, agreed a price of £40 with retention's on the phone.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Asghar wrote: »
    Just to add, I finally received an email after midnight last night, two in fact hours apart, both identical including a new contract to sign.

It is wrong though and includes,
    Mix TV,
    100Mbps Broadband, should be 150Mbps,
    Telephone Line

Listed as £45 for a 12 month contract, agreed a price of £40 with retention's on the phone.

Does it have small print slightly below the price box showing an account credit/discount, as that is how they process some deals?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Asghar wrote: »
    How long does it normally take a retention's offer to show on your account.

Accepted a cheaper deal six days ago with just the phone being downgraded to weekends only, everything else broadband and TV the same. However I have not yet received any email.
    In my online account, the broadband, which was not changed, is now showing 100Mbps instead of the normal 150Mbps (I'm still getting 150Mbps speeds) and the phone, which has changed is still showing as evening and weekends.

Will I have to wait until my next billing cycle for the correct changes, which is normally about two weeks away.

If it is an account credit sometimes shows on MyAccount the same day as changes since last bill or something like that. I am not sure if package changes show until the next bill, but should show your current services.
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Does it have small print slightly below the price box showing an account credit/discount, as that is how they process some deals?

Yes, it states a £10 loyalty discount for 18 months to make the price of £45, after discount has ended it shows £55.

My online account shows a credit of just over £5, will have to ring again to make sure I get the right broadband speed anyway, want to stay on the Vivid 150 mainly because of the higher upload speed.
  • richgoga
    richgoga Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    After some advice moneysavers!

I've been with VM for 9 years, and I've been getting a pretty good deal for the last 12 months... 150Mbps for £31. The deal has just come to an end so i did the usual dance of call up CS to see what they could do.

Pretty staggered to hear that they could offer nothing. Not a penny off full price. Not only that, the rep even got an attitude on as if I shouldn't even be asking! Told him to just cancel my account.

My question is... do retentions always call you up? I've always had BB only, but they do have my mobile number on file.

Anyone had any success recently?
  • Awilliams1
    Awilliams1 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry If this has been covered recently, coming to the end of my deal which was decent enough. Phoned them last night and the best they could do was an extra £20 a month but upgrading both boxes to V6's.

Had a think about it and phoned back today to confirm that I would like said offer only to be told this offer is now finished and that my package was going up by £60 a month.

Anyone had any experience with this?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have 30 days? to undo this. So don't panic just yet!

If you don't hear anything in 5 days, it's worth looking round to see what's available:

1. To tell them to haggle
    2. Incase you do end up moving else where
  • richgoga
    edited 30 March 2017 at 8:55PM
    Options
    Hi AndyPK, not sure if your reply was meant for me but...

I'm not panicking, there are plenty of providers out there!

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with outbound retentions recently, or if VM have changed tack and are sticking to small discounts, take it or leave kinda thing.

I get the feeling they might be a bit annoyed by the big haggling piece on Martin's live show this week!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    richgoga wrote: »
    After some advice moneysavers!

I've been with VM for 9 years, and I've been getting a pretty good deal for the last 12 months... 150Mbps for £31. The deal has just come to an end so i did the usual dance of call up CS to see what they could do.

Pretty staggered to hear that they could offer nothing. Not a penny off full price. Not only that, the rep even got an attitude on as if I shouldn't even be asking! Told him to just cancel my account.

My question is... do retentions always call you up? I've always had BB only, but they do have my mobile number on file.

Anyone had any success recently?

I had a bad experience, they basically told me the same no drop in price, I'm downloading 300-400GB a month, no one else would offer that much. I was on a 50Mbps plus telephone weekends.

30 days notice provided, no call back and it was 4 hours until cut off, I had to phone and had no drop in price.
  • richgoga
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I had a bad experience...

Mine turned out to be a good experience... but I had to go right to the top!

I emailed the CEO yesterday, got a call from a member of the executive team this evening. Turns out VM do employ some people with good manners and even some customer service skills!

She apologised profusely for the CS rep's conduct, having listened to the call. She even went as far as to say that they always have offers that aren't advertised that simply exist for retaining customers... worst kept secrets, and all that.

We had a long discussion about the barrier that first level CS reps are creating and she seemed genuinely surprised... her quote was "Their whole job is to retain our customers".

Anyway... upgraded to 200Mbps, free super hub 3 (her recommendation), £30.25 for 18 months, new 12 month contract. Happy days.

TLDR: Go right to the top if CS reps mess you about and you might get lucky!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback