RBS - PPI Closed account

Good evening all

I finally plucked up the energy and courage to start looking at former lenders and accounts to see if I had a PPI claim. In my early 20's I had mortgages, personal loans etc with RBS, using the template letters supplied on Martin's site I contacted RBS they have today responded to say the debt was settled and closed in 2002 they have not retained information and they claim my request is now 'unreasonable' and I should have made a claim in 2002 because I would have known the agreement and charges I had signed up to then, they have said it is unlikely the Ombudsman will rule in my favour because there is no paperwork!

So, I am unsure how to proceed? I do remember those early meetings with the bank and I am pretty certain I was sold PPI and can remember saying I didn't want it but was pretty much pressured into taking it.

Does anyone have any helpful advice?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you don't have the information, and neither do they, there's nothing you can do.
  • They have something, because they have supplied the dates and account numbers in their reply letter. They are claiming the time frame is too long and on those grounds it is unreasonable.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite

and they claim my request is now 'unreasonable' and I should have made a claim in 2002 because I would have known the agreement and charges I had signed up to then, they have said it is unlikely the Ombudsman will rule in my favour because there is no paperwork!

So, I am unsure how to proceed? I do remember those early meetings with the bank and I am pretty certain I was sold PPI and can remember saying I didn't want it but was pretty much pressured into taking it.

Does anyone have any helpful advice?

I have known the FOS ask RBS to check their IT systems for records when they previously told the customer there was no paper trail (re a packaged account reclaim from 2000 which ended up then succeeding); but, there is no hard and fast rule for so long ago - so yes it could be held to be unreasonable to insist a bank goes back that far, as they don't have to by law or regulation.

You can only ask the FOS to consider the matter - and within 6 months of the bank's final written response - but I'd rate your prospects of success at way below 50%.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chuck £10 on a DSAR for a copy of all the records they hold on you if you don't believe them but 2002 is many years after the standard 6 year guidelines that they use. Retaining account numbers but no other records is perfectly normal 15 years after the account was closed. They are also correct that you have 3 years after becoming aware of a reason to complain to do so and closing the account counts if they wish to time bar the complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure