Car rattling on idle

Kim_kim
Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Suzuki grand Vitara - 1.6 petrol - 57 plate.

Ive never taken it to a garage garage, I get it serviced annually & tyres changed at Kwik fit, I've had bulbs changed at Halfords.

It's rattling on idle, any ideas what it could be?

Do I just got to a normal type of car garage - general stuff?

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 6,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Check that the oil is up to the mark, if it is, take it to a garage.

Could be absolutely anything.
    Rattles and buzzes are usually something loose.
    Clatters and knocks are more engine related.

My Suzuki started making a terrific NOISE that had people turning round in the street to laugh and point.,
    It was just the metal heatshield on the catalyst rusted off on one side and vibrating....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Kim_kim
    facade wrote: »
    It was just the metal heatshield on the catalyst rusted off on one side and vibrating....

That came up on google for rattling.

I know NOTHING about cars - I hope I get an honest one :-(
  • Kim_kim wrote: »
    That came up on google for rattling.

I know NOTHING about cars - I hope I get an honest one :-(

Well, taking it anywhere other than Kwik-shaft or Halfrauds will be an immediate step in the right direction.
  • Kim_kim
    Well, taking it anywhere other than Kwik-shaft or Halfrauds will be an immediate step in the right direction.

They are very female friendly :-)
  • F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    Kim_kim wrote: »

Given that most kwik fits will rip off anyone with a pulse, I'm not so sure.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If your local Kwik fit know you as a regular customer, they might have a look for nothing and tell you what it is, despite bad opinions on here, some of the mechanics are decent.

Then it might be a cheap fix, or if they say you need a new car fitted to the steering wheel, just decline and post back here what they actually said.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Kim_kim wrote: »

If you mean in the sense that they're just as happy to treat men and women in the same way, then you're right. They're very happy to reassure any gender that they can fix all the 'dangerous' faults they've found on the car that only came in for a tyre, and to point out how lucky you are that you didn't drive another hundred yards or you'd have been killed to death, before presenting you with a bill for exactly 7.35 times the average global cost of the work they've done.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,086 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Given how many people quite happily leave serious faults until the MOT is due the fact that Kwik Fit point out your broken spring or soaking wet shockers or brake backplates doesn't mean that they're trying to rip you off.
  • F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    No. But if there's nothing really wrong with them, and they say that they need changing knowIng that the average Joe will have no idea if that's correct or not, then that IS ripping you off.

Prime example - I was told by a garage that my front discs were worn and needed changing ASAP, and the front pads were pretty much worn and so they may as well change those too.

Now I had no way of knowing there and then if that was correct, but when I took it home and replaced the brakes myself I saw that the discs weren't too bad and the pads were not even half worn. Most people would have just gotten the garage to change it all.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Exhaust shield? Walk round the car and see if you can hear where it's loudest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure