USA- Hiring a car in USA (Budget.co.uk/com) - Is insurance included?

1235»

Comments

• iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Just go to Alamo,Dollar or Hertz on their UK websites and book the car in Las Vegas . Insurance and CDW is included.
    The US websites are aimed at US customers who often use their own auto insurance.
    The rental clerks will try and sell you lost key/flat battery insurance if you dont lose keys or leave your lights on ,just say no.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    as above...
    book through a UK website, you got NO EXCESS insurance as standard.....
    netflights, usrentacar, etc etc...

When u get your car, I find that Alamo do an 'AUTH' on my C Card for $1, and Dollar can do upto $300, but varies... hertz don't do any AUTH for past 3 years...
    I book cars when I am out in the US (Vegas), and book sometimes day before, but I book via netflights.com when wanting a car with Alamo, or hertz.co.uk if want the muscle car.. (book whether I am in the US or UK, as long as u on the UK website)
    jobs a good un :)
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you for your replies re car hire in Vegas. I have had a look at the UK sites and one said we had to pay $24.99 per day for some sort of insurance (think it was waiver or something). I did think we were better booking before we went but some of the sites make things more confusing the more you read them - but they do like to do that.

Will have another look. Thanks again :)
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can use Wikipedia and other online resources to check the meanings of the various optional car rental add-ons, for example CDW/LDW:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_waiver

In addition to the good advice in previous posts I'd suggest checking whether or not sales tax has to be paid locally.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Kit1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies re car hire in Vegas. I have had a look at the UK sites and one said we had to pay $24.99 per day for some sort of insurance (think it was waiver or something). I did think we were better booking before we went but some of the sites make things more confusing the more you read them - but they do like to do that.

Will have another look. Thanks again :)

TRy Alamobrits for your dates

the price you get will include all insurances a full tank and an extra driver

all UK brokers have a "gold" or equivalent package that will also include all of the above

as do the UK sites of the big companies like Hertz Avis etc,

I have been using Alamobrits for past 4 years, always brand new cars and great service, if you look on the website it will say you need the guidebook ,I have never been asked for it but it is only about a tenner anyway.

For years before that I always used rentalcars (premium package) and got Dollar cars, the cars were usually a bit older but no excesses etc to pay

and no sales tax to pay locally ever!

what are your dates, what size car and what age, I will have a look for you
  • Kit1
    Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    TRy Alamobrits for your dates

the price you get will include all insurances a full tank and an extra driver

all UK brokers have a "gold" or equivalent package that will also include all of the above

as do the UK sites of the big companies like Hertz Avis etc,

I have been using Alamobrits for past 4 years, always brand new cars and great service, if you look on the website it will say you need the guidebook ,I have never been asked for it but it is only about a tenner anyway.

For years before that I always used rentalcars (premium package) and got Dollar cars, the cars were usually a bit older but no excesses etc to pay

and no sales tax to pay locally ever!

what are your dates, what size car and what age, I will have a look for you

Thank you for your reply. We are going at Christmas (most expensive time l know) we thought we would have a car on 27 & 28 Dec but as most close early we would return it 29th by 9am and just one driver.
  • photome
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2016 at 7:00PM
    Thank you for your reply. We are going at Christmas (most expensive time l know) we thought we would have a car on 27 & 28 Dec but as most close early we would return it 29th by 9am and just one driver.

I was assuming you would be having it for longer and from the airport.

I am guessing you want to hire from a pick up point on the strip and return to the same, is that right

That does limit options as all the car hire companies have one central garage at the airport but they don't all have pick up points on the strip

Having said that if you only want it for 3 days the cost will be small, what size car? And potential savings will also be tiny

Edit
    a quick search with rental cars and even a full size would only be £130 or so from treasure island rental desk.

Problem with hotel rental desks is they are not open 24/7 and it is hard to find out exactly when they are open
  • Kit1
    Forumite
    I was assuming you would be having it for longer and from the airport.

I am guessing you want to hire from a pick up point on the strip and return to the same, is that right

That does limit options as all the car hire companies have one central garage at the airport but they don't all have pick up points on the strip

Having said that if you only want it for 3 days the cost will be small, what size car? And potential savings will also be tiny

Edit
    a quick search with rental cars and even a full size would only be £130 or so from treasure island rental desk.

Problem with hotel rental desks is they are not open 24/7 and it is hard to find out exactly when they are open

So far l have managed to find one for about £160 picking up at the Paris. Didn't think it was worth getting it from the airport as we will spend lots of time on the strip etc.
  • photome
    Forumite
    So far l have managed to find one for about £160 picking up at the Paris. Didn't think it was worth getting it from the airport as we will spend lots of time on the strip etc.

Where are you looking

For a small car with rentalcars £101

Do you know what you want a car for?

If you are going to stay in and around strip, do you need one
  • Kit1
    Forumite
    Where are you looking

For a small car with rentalcars £101

Do you know what you want a car for?

If you are going to stay in and around strip, do you need one

We have looked at Hertz as they have offices closest to where we are staying (just behind Ballies/Paris).

We are planning to go to Red Rock Canyon and maybe Hoover Dam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport