misscousinitt's MF Diary

Comments

• Kitchen Fitter has finished :j:j:j

We spent the weekend cleaning and sealing the tiles (that stuff really stinks). Will be able to get my stuff on the work surfaces tonight!

DH has got Friday off to do the decorating and my lovely MIL is going to help. I've got doors and gloss to paint this week.

Bit more done to the house in general - a load more cardboard boxes to go - but we have filled our recycling bin - time to ask our neighbours if we can borrow theirs!

Not feeling too great at the moment - not sleeping great. But keeping on at it. Might have a bit of rest tonight though after we have delivered the fire surround.

Sweet chilli Salmon with Stir Fry Veg and Noodles planned for tonight's tea.

Hope everyone is well and has a good week.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • List Update 17/10/2016

October:

Spending Money:
    - Birthday Cards: We have loads of birthdays between now and the end of the year, so need to make a list and go and buy them all in one go. List done - cards to be purchased tomorrow - all 18 of them !!!! 10 cards purchased; rest to be got this week
    - Birthday Presents: Same as above, but fewer to buy - probably not in one go - but need to make a list and get buying. Been looking, but not bought anything yet same
    - Purchase new work clothes and one or two nice tops for occasions. Not anything to do with work - but ordered a pair of Jeans in the N3xt sale same
    - Look into some self employed stuff. On-going same
    - Buy one or two blow up beds. (will become clear further down the list) Will be checking the bed we have found this weekend coming - then I will see what I will need to purchase not done yet - hopefully this week some time

Making Money:
    -e-bay: Been putting it off long enough - need to target a few items to put on before the end of the year. same
    -FB Selling: Fire surround needs to go (it's monsterous!) - need to get pics of DH and stick it on FB locally - need the money and need it out of the way. Fire Surround has been put on the local FB Selling sites - fingers crossed - still on-going with a couple of enquires 10/10 should be sold tonight 17/10
    - Look into some self employed stuff same

Getting the house sorted (have friends coming to stay first weekend in November so need to get loads done).

- Finish sorting kitchen stuff (if it's not finished by the time I start this list - hopefully this part will all be done) everything is back in the cupboards - just need the kitchen finishing so I can put things on the surfaces In progress ready to happen tonight!
    - Keep chipping away at decluttering and organising the study on the evenings and weekends - gradual process; can't do too much in one go. Had a huge tidy up over the weekend - DH built the new unit, but I think it has just highlighted how much more carp I have to get rid of - looking much better now though sorted a couple more boxes and DH has put a shelf up for me
    - Tidy Spare Room, check blow up bed next weekend job started, but nowhere near finished
    - Sort out attic room: there are loads of empty boxes, some packing materials and some odd boxes of bits and bobs from the move (to be sorted when all the kitchen stuff is back where it belongs) going to have a cardboard box cull this week part done

Targeted Jobs:
    - Garden: Get bed planted up/lawns done 2nd October - weather dependant Weather was lovely - main planting done, just heathers and bulbs to go in same
    - Charity paperwork sort out and filing 8th/9th October Part done, got to carry on in the evenings 2 boxes to go
    - Sort clothes; re-arrange winter/summer stuff; get rid of things to charity shop 15th/16th October done - 2 bags for the charity shop
    - Deep clean house in preparation for friends coming to stay. 22nd/23rd October washed 4 throws at the weekend as a start

Not quite as much achieved as I wanted to as the pile of stuff to sort seems to be getting bigger - not smaller! However, we are clear on what we are going to get sorted before my friends come to stay - and it won't be all of it! Really not possible. Will be stacking pretty boxes nicely!

MCI
    OP's to Date £8500

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm glad you're *almost* having a night off this week - as I know from personal experience, flogging yourself into the gutter is a bad move :( Eating well is really important too - I don't make "dishes" as such, I just throw all the ingredients together, but the nutrition and the taste is all there. I notice I'm eating loads of protein with all the work I'm doing - do you notice changes like that?

Pretty stacks of boxes are excellent :) and truly, make sure you're not exhausted when your friends get there *because* you've been clearing up for them. I did that one time when my mum was supposed to come stay, and it was sooo disappointing.

Still - your list update is great! I love a good list :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You say you haven't done a lot but the amount of stuff done on that list is impressive- well done!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    I'm glad you're *almost* having a night off this week - as I know from personal experience, flogging yourself into the gutter is a bad move :( Eating well is really important too - I don't make "dishes" as such, I just throw all the ingredients together, but the nutrition and the taste is all there. I notice I'm eating loads of protein with all the work I'm doing - do you notice changes like that?

Pretty stacks of boxes are excellent :) and truly, make sure you're not exhausted when your friends get there *because* you've been clearing up for them. I did that one time when my mum was supposed to come stay, and it was sooo disappointing.

Still - your list update is great! I love a good list :):):)

What will get done, will get done - we are experts at making it look good - even if there is still loads to do :rotfl:

Trying to eat properly - but missed my breakfast 2 days running as got to work a minute or 2 late. I don't like to take the P if I've come in late and then take time to have breakfast...

DH treated me to a nice steak out last night - he said I looked in no fit state for cooking - so we went out (had 25% off voucher) - meal and drinks came to just £16!

But I know what you mean about the protein fix - been really hungry lately!
    You say you haven't done a lot but the amount of stuff done on that list is impressive- well done!

Hi KK - the trouble is there is so much more to do and time is ticking. I do have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew (hence pretty box stacking! :rotfl:) but determined to get the main jobs done.

Thanks for your support each - means alot.

MCI x
    OP's to Date £8500

• Didn't get rid of the fire surround last night as my friend's pay hadn't cleared the bank - to be fair, we were both knackered, so later in the week will be fine.

Went out for food :o Salmon meal moved to tonight.

Few more things put back in the kitchen - fully functional now.

Tonight's target is the pare room and attic combined as there could well be a cross over while sorting these two out.

Need to pop to the post office and see if I can collect my parcel (new pan support for the cooker).

On the money front - need to get refunds sorted this week and claims in for both our dentist visits; accounts to be sorted later in the week.

MCI
    OP's to Date £8500

• AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! Replacement cooker door skin and hinge kit will not arrive with the service company until 18 Nov!!! (the item is out of stock at the manufacturer)

This is no good for when my friends come to stay. However, I have to look on the bright side that I am off work the week following the delivery and can have the engineer come at any time to fix the door - therefore it SHOULD be ready for the fundraiser we have on the 27th (not holding my breath though!).

A complaint is most definitely going into R&ngemaster - this is ridiculous for the amount of money the cooker cost...

The cooker itself is very good - it's just the fixtures and fittings are a little sub-standard. Because I am in the engineering industry and know how and where these parts are made it makes me extra frustrated!!!

It's not the end of the world, but it would have helped to have the oven operational for when I've got to cook for 10 people for 3 days!!!

There, rant over.

MCI
    OP's to Date £8500

• Oh no! Can you still use the hob? I am redoing my kitchen and bought the same brand as you since it was recommended by Which? Ovens are particularly useful when having many guests over so I hope you can make do with it out of service. Best of luck with the fundraiser!
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • Tropically wrote: »
    Oh no! Can you still use the hob? I am redoing my kitchen and bought the same brand as you since it was recommended by Which? Ovens are particularly useful when having many guests over so I hope you can make do with it out of service. Best of luck with the fundraiser!

Thanks for stopping by! It's just the tall oven that is out of action. I still have the standard one (thank heavens!) - so I will be alright, but working at diminished capacity.

The cooker itself is really good - can't complain about the features or the way it cooks - just the fact that certain parts of it are not up to the standard that they need to be to operate in a safe manner.

I am sure yours will be fine - mine has just been a catalogue of things since I bought it - but once it's all sorted I am sure it will be a great asset to the kitchen.

Thanks again.

MCI
    OP's to Date £8500

• misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 October 2016 at 1:31PM
    Happy Hump Day everyone!

Last night was operation 'Spare Room' - we did quite well. In couple of hours we generated a box and a bag of stuff for the charity shop and a pile of flattened cardboard for the tip (we've put all this in the conservatory out the way to deal with on Saturday). Pretty box pile has started! Nowhere near finished in there, but a really good start!

Tonight is 'Operation Attic' where we hope to do the same.

Despite not feeling very well, seem to still be getting quite alot done - helped by the fact that DH and I are doing this together and it helps to chat and laugh whilst sorting things out.

Bought a little wicker drawer unit from W!lko yesterday for the bathroom - happy with that - especially for the money. A few things that have been kept in plastic bags in the bathroom since we moved in are now in their own little space!

DH has been in touch with the electrician and he has got flu (won't be back at work for 2 weeks) - as he is insulin dependant diabetic there are additional complications and DH said he didn't sound well at all - in fact if he's that bad we don't want him anywhere near us at the moment!!!

So, we are going to tape the wires up to the units so they are out the way and out of sight. DH will also block the hole up where the fan is going once he's decorated to stop the cold air coming through (4 inch hole not good when it's getting colder). This is above the one set of units and not really visible - fortunately, the extractor is working well and we don't need the fan at the moment (more an addition for regs for my self-employed idea!) the outside light can also wait - we have some candle lanterns which I will dot around outside when my visitors come - that will be fine. (The switch is all in place - just needs connecting up - again, not urgent).

So we have a plan and I'm happy with that.

Patiently waiting for pay day and rent income day here...can't wait to get my next OP done!

Lamb dinner with all the trimmings planned for tonight - looking forward to that - like my midweek roast - a real treat!

MCI

ETA: Got some pears that are passed their best - going to chop and freeze for future crumble!
    OP's to Date £8500

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure