Fraudulent Loan in my name

Hi All, I'm new here and I was hoping to get some advice on a loan that was taken out in my name 5 years ago.

First of all, the loan was taken out in 2011 making me 17, I'm now 22 and the legal requirement for anyone to take a loan out is 18 years of age, now to get a loan I'm sure you need credit checks, proof of address, photo identification and possibly other information.

I contacted Provident (the loan company) and they had sold the debt on to another company, so I contact this debt company and they informed me the dates, the value and so on and I worked out the date would of made me 17 years of age, however, on their system it claimed I was 24 stating I was born in 1991 when in fact I was born in 1993 so could someone please explain to me how it's even possible to take that loan out in my name?

I have reason to believe it was a family member who had done this and I know people will say call the police but it's a lot easier said than done considering my life situation, so from the information provided can anyone recommend anything useful I could try as surely the company is also at fault for illegally issuing a loan to a minor.

Thank you all in advance and I hope this is the correct forum.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well you should write to them stating the loan wasn't yours, should also ask for it to be removed from your credit file. I'm not sure on this but I would have thought the loan would/should have been paid into a named bank account of the person applying eg Mr Joe Bloggs applied and the money is paid into an account belonging to Mr Joe Bloggs.

Check your credit files at clearscore and Noddle and see if its listed there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It would have been done by someone providing false information and quite possibly fake ID if that was required.

It is the bank who has been defrauded. You will need to co-operate with as them as much as you're needed to, which will probably involve providing them with the name of who you think may have done it.

Clearly the bank didn't think they were giving credit to a minor.
  • OP When did you first become aware of this debt?

Provident I presume is a door to door lender where the ID would be quite lax compared to getting a bank account/loan today?
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    KieranF93 wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm new here and I was hoping to get some advice on a loan that was taken out in my name 5 years ago.

First of all, the loan was taken out in 2011 making me 17, I'm now 22 and the legal requirement for anyone to take a loan out is 18 years of age, now to get a loan I'm sure you need credit checks, proof of address, photo identification and possibly other information.

I contacted Provident (the loan company) and they had sold the debt on to another company, so I contact this debt company and they informed me the dates, the value and so on and I worked out the date would of made me 17 years of age, however, on their system it claimed I was 24 stating I was born in 1991 when in fact I was born in 1993 so could someone please explain to me how it's even possible to take that loan out in my name?

I have reason to believe it was a family member who had done this and I know people will say call the police but it's a lot easier said than done considering my life situation, so from the information provided can anyone recommend anything useful I could try as surely the company is also at fault for illegally issuing a loan to a minor.

If you think that a family member has fraudulently obtained this loan using your (incorrect) details, you have two options:

Report them to the police, have it investigated and then (hopefully) wiped from your credit report if it can be proven, or

Don't report them to the police, and take responsibility for the debt.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Well you should write to them stating the loan wasn't yours, should also ask for it to be removed from your credit file. I'm not sure on this but I would have thought the loan would/should have been paid into a named bank account of the person applying eg Mr Joe Bloggs applied and the money is paid into an account belonging to Mr Joe Bloggs.

Check your credit files at clearscore and Noddle and see if its listed there.

Don't Provident hand over the loan in cash? I thought they mostly dealt with people who don't have bank accounts.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't Provident hand over the loan in cash? I thought they mostly dealt with people who don't have bank accounts.

You could well be right, I believe you are right actually.
  • Thanks everyone who has replied, the account is currently being investigated to see how the loan was obtained and to see what form of ID was provided and they're going to contact me back.

I'm 100% certain it was a family member (my mum) which is disgusting but as stated its not as easy as calling the police on her so I'm looking for alternatives, she thinks I have no idea about the loan yet it's on my credit report so I'm thinking of confronting her to take full responsibility and asking the company to come to an agreement (if she agrees) to transfer te debt in her name and wipe my record as I have no intention of paying it, seen as though their agent illegally handed out a loan as 1. I was under the legal age requirement and 2. False ID must of been used so I'm hoping they can come to an agreement.

Also, I was sure they handed cash in person too so I'm assuming she must of known the agent otherwise everyone would be able to do it no?
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    KieranF93 wrote: »

It is a fraud, so yes report to the police. Otherwise take responsibility be prepared to hide from a debt collector......
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    At every stage shout loud and shout clear to make sure they know that the bank is the victim of a fraud not you.
    THIS IS LAW.

Now the debt collector.
    Send a Subject Access Request and CCA request notice, do not sign it with your normal signature.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Sorry I didn't mention this, but there was no way she knew my bank details, and as stated its highly possible it was a cash in hand credit/loan.

But take note of this,

I live at address A, I found the debt letter at address A and it was also addressed there,

According to the debt company who purchase the debt from provident - the loan was issued to address "B" which of course is my previous address, she got the loan whilst we was living at address "A" so I'm not sure how the company think I'm living at my old address without the agent who issued it being involved somehow, they also claimed that according to their records I was born it 1991 which would now make me 24, but I'm 22 so the loan was handed to her a month before my 18th with false age, so how does that show on my credit record especially when my dob is wrong by 2 years? I'm confused but once again thanks for all the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure