PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 6:48AM
    Options
    Poor baby Quoy! has been sick for three weeks with a nasty cold. I think the children are passing around different strains at nursery school. She will start to get a bit better and then come home with a different set of symptoms.

Quoy! told her mom she needed to buy a phone. DD1 ask if she had money to buy it with. She said 'almost' as she has money in her piggyback. The concept of money and spending it on stuff has come at a young age.

At their supermarket they have little children shopping carts. DD1 says it's interesting to see what she will put in her basket. Yesterday was tilapia and a zucchini. Sequoia helped mommy cook them for dinner and said they tasted so good. She also helped make basil, mint lemonade. She says 'Quoy! a good cook'.

Greent I have picked out a light turquoise (rainwashed) for walls, shiplap white for cabinets, white sink and no clue as to counter in the laundry room. I may go tomorrow and pick that out. Turquoise is also popular here right now, but as it has always been very pleasing to me I would say I'm not following trends. And then there is my gorgeous tile that I really love. I'm really pleased so far with my choices and am looking forward to it all coming together. We've lived here 32 yrs and have never done anything to the laundry room. It is very shabby looking. And not the chic kind either! :p;)
    No clue as to the kitchen though....

As I was boxing up items to get out of the way for tiling, I have been getting rid of stuff. Some to thrift, some to my grown children and some to the landfill. Our little town has had its recycling center go out of business. It has been in operation since 1993 and was run by our CARC Farm. It has given many people jobs over the years. They had a very large piece of equipment break down for the final time and it was just too costly for them to replace it, thus the hard decision. The city is looking for alternatives.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :)Mila, what is a CARC Farm, please?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)Mila, what is a CARC Farm, please?

Looks like it's a New Mexico version of Remploy, Scope or Mencap with community facilities: http://www.carcinc.org/
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Thanks, Floss.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Busylizzie
    Busylizzie Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning :)

Recently got THE book from the library and found it very interesting.

However one area where I really disagree with her is getting rid of user manuals. Trying to locate one for our TV online was a nightmare and I would never not keep them. Must admit my filing of them could be improved though!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I decluttered a pet blanket yesterday as my cat had thrown up all over it._pale_

I found some more paperwork when I was going through the file box as we have just changed energy supplier. Old letters thrown into recyling bin. I'm wondering if there is any point in switching anymore as we only saved about £2 a month.:D My DH did it, I wouldn't have bothered!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Busylizzie wrote: »
    Good Morning :)

Recently got THE book from the library and found it very interesting.

However one area where I really disagree with her is getting rid of user manuals. Trying to locate one for our TV online was a nightmare and I would never not keep them. Must admit my filing of them could be improved though!

Lizzie, I download a PDF of user manuals as soon as I buy a gadget and store it in a folder on my laptop. It's quicker for me than trying to find where the last person to use the paper copy thought would be a good idea to leave it. Increasingly, I find, detailed manuals are only available online, you just get a Quick Start guide in the box
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Got rid of a load of leftover mosaic tiles yesterday (OH had suggested binning them!!:eek:) - beautiful, but they were leftovers and were only being kept (for the last 4 years or more) for Justin - so better to release them - and they've gone to a good cause, so even better news!:T

Took some bits into school yesterday for their Harvest Festival - including the (realistically) 'we-will-never-eat longlife complete meals in foil packs left from DS1's army cadet camp'

Have about 10 items ending on fleabay today with bids on a couple of them at the mo - so am hopeful some more things should be leaving soon :)

Other than that I cracked a Tupperware style tub yesterday so it and its matching lid went into the bin straight off.
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm currently kondoing work that landed on my desk due to a colleague being laid off. I have managed to redistribute several of her tasks to other colleagues that she was helping out as she had a bit of spare time. I told them I do not have the spare time, and they have to cope by themselves again.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Busylizzie
    Busylizzie Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Lizzie, I download a PDF of user manuals as soon as I buy a gadget and store it in a folder on my laptop. It's quicker for me than trying to find where the last person to use the paper copy thought would be a good idea to leave it. Increasingly, I find, detailed manuals are only available online, you just get a Quick Start guide in the box

That's a good idea - yes easier to do when just bought the item :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure