PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Condolences GQ. You have some wonderful memories of your Nan, and you and your family are part of a fantastic community, even if it is a bit more dispersed that in previous generations.

Mila - apparently grey is popular whenever there is a recession. It's been popular for a while now, which suggests things aren't getting better. Rebel, and use colour!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We looked at a house to buy recently and there were different shades of grey everywhere. Nice house, but I'd have had to get the paint out in every room! It wasn't the reason we didn't go for it (too near a school and very expensive), but it didn't help!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Good morning all.

GQ, I hope your week ahead goes as gently as it can under the circumstances.

My paperwork has never been so good, but I still have a vexatious box of till receipts which normally I'd go through and match and cross off tediously one by one. But sometimes, I do it the lazy way and if all the various statements read nicely with nothing amiss, I take a quantum leap and ditch the lot in total trust that all is well. Don't know which way I'll go with that this week!

I'm doing a frugal challenge, food wise, and I do have to say that I was expecting to feel a bit of lack, but the opposite has happened. Having a really good look at what I've actually got in stock has made me most grateful, there is definitely enough to be going on with. In fact I'll do well if I only eat half of it!

Happy kondoing everyone. x
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In our village people are now painting the outside of their houses grey, and the outside window frames and doors. It's called 'olive' or 'cappuccino', but to me it all says 'bland' and 'boring'.

I worked in the garden on Saturday and Sunday, in between reading a Jill Paton Walsh detective story. The vine has been decimated, and all the grapes are now ripening off in full sunshine. Yummy! I've attacked the ivy again, have tied up the raspberries to the metal wire fence and found that I apparently have two different types of raspberry, as one of the stalks was full of unripe fruit! They are now in the sunshine and should be ripe soon.

We have packed DH's suitcases. He will leave for his African mother country for four weeks on Thursday, and is allowed 2x23kg hold luggage, 1x12kg hand luggage, a laptop bag and a handbag. We have filled the 2 suitcases, and will pack hand luggage tomorrow. He has to take a train from Brussels to Paris, and then take the plane from there (all included in the ticket), and he has found out that he can deposit his hold luggage a day early, and that it will be transported for him all the way to his African country. He can then take the bus to the train station, with just his hand luggage, as I don't have the time off to drop him off by car. Sooooo much stuff leaving our house on Thursday! All for our newbuilt house there, and dh's relatives. He is taking most of his old T-shirts, underwear, trousers, which he will wear while there and then leave behind. He is not bringing back much, either. I just want a particular piece of jewellery, and for dds it will be something small as well.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Morning all...
    Condolences GQ.

Not much konding going on apart from a few pieces of tupperware that are not needed and a few podcasts off the phone.
    Have a good rest of the day all!

SIL
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Just doing one of my periodic drop-ins and couldn't read and run. GQ, there is something between a loving grandmother and granddaughter that is unique. It's a relationship that, given the right sort of people, which you and your Nan obviously were, will sustain you for the rest of your life. Lucky, lucky you.

I had the same feeling about my Nan and Grandma and still treasure the few bits and pieces that have trickled down to me from both of them. I don't only get a spark of joy when I use my Nan's rolling pin or Grandma's china bowl that was brought out on Sunday tea times, but am completely overwhelmed by a rush of love and nostalgia.

I'm trying to foster the same sort of undemanding affection with my own granddaughters. My eldest DGD always gets money from me on her birthday with the instruction NOT to spend it wisely. She always thanks me with the words, " money wasted as per orders."

I hope that when I shuffle off this mortal coil they will speak of me with the same love and respect that you have done with your Nan.

I'm not going to say that I am sorry for you because you have been richly blessed and your lovely Nan will live in your heart for ever.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Karmacat, I have one teapot which only gets used when I have guests - it's Emma Bridgewater and very joyful to me, but I just use teabags in a mug for myself and the occasional visitor. If you love both, then keep them but it's sounding as if you love the yellow one more than the Denby one.

Had my sister visiting at the weekend, and she brought with her a black winter coat that shes throwing out - it swamps her, but being a couple of inches taller it's ok on me. It'll be perfect for work, and to make room I'm releasing a grey winter coat and a black leather jacket, both previously owned by friends before being passed on to me. I'm not sure when I last bought a coat!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have four teapots, only used when I have guests, but I love ALL of them. So I'm keeping them.

However, if you only have room for one, keep the yellow one - as PWD says, it really does sound like you love that one most.

I need to get my act together this week. I have visitors next weekend, so need to get myself back to working in my office (so it requires a deep clean AND a tidy; sort out the sitting room (furniture is half moved) and clear my rubbish out of both the spare rooms.

I visited my parents (for about 22 hours) this weekend, and have decided to relieve them of the CoD I love most (of the available ones!) rather than the most practical one. So I may need to rethink how I fold some of my clothes.

In the meantime I need to think about how to cover the screws from the drawer handles that snag clothes. My grandmother used to use elastoplast, but I'm sure there is a better solution... I have two already here than need doing, and the new one will have the same problem.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But... but... I like grey!!
    The decorator left this morning having transformed the living room and kitchen with 2 shades of grey and white. I loathe magnolia and the walls were dirty magnolia with the odd crack here ad there... now all elegant and clean and neutral.

I have inherited a bradawl from the ex's late dad's stash of tools so can build the door sections for the Ikeya piece and attach them to the main unit - was short of a pointy thing to make the starter holes for the bolts. The doors will camouflage some of the stuff that I am keeping, or stuff in transit or work in progress. It'll give me clear spaces rather than a jumble.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Afternoon all
    Had a joyful morning in work. Just rung dd2 for a natter, left dd3 a phone message and have managed to find another holiday home for the week after the one we wanted went off our letting agents books.
    Got a bag filling nicely with stuff for the CS
    Hugs to all that need/want one.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure