Hogging right lane

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Idiots drive any and all makes of car.

BMW does not have a monopoly on idiots. ;)

Correct, most idots have now moved to AUDI's :)

Or they get driving jobs at Car Spares.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Mercdriver wrote: »
    I would say that over confidence causes at least as many accidents as impatience. Indeed, impatience is often a product of over confidence. I have been driving for a little more than 3 years, and my driving isn't fault free. I see that in spite of your confidence in your abilities, you still haven't said how far away from the junction you moved to the right. If you were indeed right, why the reticence?

Someone isn't necessarily correct simply because they agree with your view. Your over confidence could make you a real risk. One of the reasons for drink driving rules is the high level of over confidence it gives you.

Don't drive with a holier than thou attitude. You will come unstuck. Drive to take account for the idiots around you. And you never know, sometimes the idiot will be you. Accept you can make mistakes and then drive to take that into account. Also as others have said there's no joy in seeing a tombstone that says:

"Here lies Wunderlust23. His driving was faultless, his speed was unimpeachable. Alas being right didn't save him."

Sorry, I wasn't aware that being a driver that respects the rules of the road means that I am an over confident driver. I will make sure I avoid doing that in the future.

Surprisingly (given the amount of people supporting the other driver) I've never seen a tombstone that says...

"Here lies a much loved speeder, tailgater and headlight flasher."

Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Possibly because we still live in a society where people - rightly - aren't required to prove their innocence and "you won't give a distance therefore you're obviously in the wrong" is pure witch-hunt logic?

As for over confidence, surely moving over a little early (if he did), when he can do so without risking having to over-confidently force himself between other cars at the last minute, is a sensible precaution while gaining experience?

I really do struggle to understand why so many people so aggressively condemn what they assume was lane hogging (with nothing but their own assumption to back that up) while condoning tailgating and light-flashing in the same sentence and suggesting it's the fault of the op rather than the tailgater.

That's essentially the same mind-set that blames the rape victim for wearing a short skirt!
    Exactly. There wouldn't be much point in explaining exactly where I moved over because people will always find fault. I've already been found the guilty party by some. Someone actually asked me to post a link to the exact location on google maps...I mean c'mon!
    patman99 wrote: »
    Op, for what it is worth, you did the right thing in making your move with plenty of time to separate your 2 actions (move to r/h/lane, exit to right).

Pity you didn't have a rear facing dashcam or you might have been able to post a video like THIS one.

Unfortuanatley for the van driver, he was tailgating an unmarked Police car.
    Still, you could hav uplaoded it to Youtube so the world could see 9and possibly identify) the prat behind the wheel.

The one thing that really irks my are drivers who think that this sort of action is acceptable.
    I had a BMW (no surprises there) decide to try to undertake me a month ago as I was out in the right hand lane to overtake one lorry, but due to the short distance to the next) decided to stay out to clear a 2nd.
    The idiot came screaming up behind me, cut to the left lane and realised almost to late that he could not complete his manouver and had to slam on his brakes.
    I bought a dashcam a few days before I made this thread. Videos of my impecable driving coming to a screen near you soon :D
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    [...] Videos of my impecable driving coming to a screen near you soon :D

If you can't beat 'em, ..... :rotfl:
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I prefer to trust the OED and my training than an opinion which contradicts them.

Yes, 50 years ago he/she would be considered the only grammatically correct option, but as I said, language evolves and in this case has evolved, and common usage has superseded traditional teaching.
    'They' as a gender-neutral singular pronoun has been in English since Shakespeare and before. I think Chaucer used it, but I can't give you a reference without checking. For a period in the C19 it was considered 'illogical' by grammarians, and a lot of teachers were trained that it was grammatically incorrect (mine among them) but it's no more incorrect than using 'who' when it should be 'whom'. I doubt if more than 1% of speakers could get that one correct these days. I don't like singular 'they' myself and avoid using it in writing, but I probably use it in speech all the time.

Simply saying something is incorrect means you have to define correct, and that is not easy.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Richard53
    OP, none of us was there, so we can only go by what you said and our own prejudices experiences. FWIW, here's what I think is the correct procedure:
    • Good observation of following traffic
    • Move over to the right lane in good time, ensuring that no-one has to brake or alter course because of your actions
    • Indicate to signal the lane change if there is anyone to benefit from it
    • Cancel indicator, then re-apply to show clearly that you are turning right
    • Slow before turn, and use decel lane or refuge as necessary
    If you indicate that you are turning, it gives the following driver 'permission' to pass you on the left, so he/she is not impeded.

I see this a lot on a stretch of DC near me (A40 between Carmarthen and St Clears in West Wales). It's a fast DC with a lot of right turns across the central reservation, and many local numpties get into the right lane a good mile before their turning, but only signal at the last minute. Often, they are doing 40 on an NSL road. It's very frustrating for following traffic, because you could be doing a legal 70 mph but are forced to choose between doing 40 behind Mrs Evans or overtaking her on the left and breaking the law (arguably).

Timely lane changes and clear signalling eliminate the problem.
  • Richard53 wrote: »
    'They' as a gender-neutral singular pronoun has been in English since Shakespeare and before. I think Chaucer used it, but I can't give you a reference without checking. For a period in the C19 it was considered 'illogical' by grammarians, and a lot of teachers were trained that it was grammatically incorrect (mine among them) but it's no more incorrect than using 'who' when it should be 'whom'. I doubt if more than 1% of speakers could get that one correct these days. I don't like singular 'they' myself and avoid using it in writing, but I probably use it in speech all the time.

Simply saying something is incorrect means you have to define correct, and that is not easy.

I know, I'm completely in agreement with you.
  • Richard53 wrote: »
    OP, none of us was there, so we can only go by what you said and our own prejudices experiences. FWIW, here's what I think is the correct procedure:
    • Good observation of following traffic
    • Move over to the right lane in good time, ensuring that no-one has to brake or alter course because of your actions
    • Indicate to signal the lane change if there is anyone to benefit from it
    • Cancel indicator, then re-apply to show clearly that you are turning right
    • Slow before turn, and use decel lane or refuge as necessary
    If you indicate that you are turning, it gives the following driver 'permission' to pass you on the left, so he/she is not impeded.

I see this a lot on a stretch of DC near me (A40 between Carmarthen and St Clears in West Wales). It's a fast DC with a lot of right turns across the central reservation, and many local numpties get into the right lane a good mile before their turning, but only signal at the last minute. Often, they are doing 40 on an NSL road. It's very frustrating for following traffic, because you could be doing a legal 70 mph but are forced to choose between doing 40 behind Mrs Evans or overtaking her on the left and breaking the law (arguably).

Timely lane changes and clear signalling eliminate the problem.
    Oh look, a logical post without an underlying accusatory tone. Well done, sir. :T
  • Richard53
    I know, I'm completely in agreement with you.
    Yes, I was supporting what you said. Sorry if it came across otherwise.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Possibly because we still live in a society where people - rightly - aren't required to prove their innocence and "you won't give a distance therefore you're obviously in the wrong" is pure witch-hunt logic?

As for over confidence, surely moving over a little early (if he did), when he can do so without risking having to over-confidently force himself between other cars at the last minute, is a sensible precaution while gaining experience?

I really do struggle to understand why so many people so aggressively condemn what they assume was lane hogging (with nothing but their own assumption to back that up) while condoning tailgating and light-flashing in the same sentence and suggesting it's the fault of the op rather than the tailgater.

That's essentially the same mind-set that blames the rape victim for wearing a short skirt!

Come on now, where where where did I state that tailgating was justified in any situation?

Hint: I didn't.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that being a driver that respects the rules of the road means that I am an over confident driver. I will make sure I avoid doing that in the future.

Surprisingly (given the amount of people supporting the other driver) I've never seen a tombstone that says...

"Here lies a much loved speeder, tailgater and headlight flasher."

Exactly. There wouldn't be much point in explaining exactly where I moved over because people will always find fault. I've already been found the guilty party by some. Someone actually asked me to post a link to the exact location on google maps...I mean c'mon!

I bought a dashcam a few days before I made this thread. Videos of my impecable driving coming to a screen near you soon :D

By all means be a know-it-all driver. Lack of experience will catch you out. Hopefully it won't affect anyone else.

For the umpteenth time, how far (roughly) form the junction did you pull into the right lane?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure