Scottish Power best deals not available to existing customers? :(

clairehi
clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
Hi all hope someone can advise.

I am currently an SP customer, looking for a new gas/elec deal. Both USwitch and moneysupermarket show that the cheapest deal for me is another SP deal - an online discounted rate ending in Dec 2012.
However when I log into my SP account, this deal does not show up as one of the options open to me. Having checked their website it looks like this deal only appears if you say you are a new customer.

this is annoying and pointless as now I will have to leave SP to get a better rate elsewhere. I tried to ring them up, but of course was on hold for 15 mins and then gave up as the kids were running riot!

is there any point in phoning them again to try and get this deal or am I better off just going for the cheapest deal from another supplier?

Comments

• jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    clairehi wrote: »
    Having checked their website it looks like this deal only appears if you say you are a new customer.

this is annoying and pointless ?

First of all, which *exact* Scottish Power tariff are you on? Does it have a maturity date or are you already eligible to switch without early termination charges? If it has a maturity date I would be surprised if you weren't eligible for a maturity tariff, though it can be difficult to work out if a maturity offer is competitive.

Why not send an email with your demands? Don't they reply within 3 days?

It's really up to you. If you judge it by a 15 minute telephone wait then the decision is made. Why not be single minded and go for what you want, i.e. the best tariff available? Or at least try.
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2011 at 10:27PM
    an online discounted rate ending in Dec 2012.

What is the name of the tariff? OES16?
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Try applying via the quote site.
  • clairehi
    Hi, I'm currently on Energy Saver 11 - November 2012 (No Standing Charge), there is no exit penalty on this now since 31 October 11. I think the deal I was looking at moving to was the online energy saver v16 - although as I cant see how you can save a search on uswitch Im not 100% sure without going through the quote process again.

Can anyone suggest an SP email address I can contact that will get a reply. As I emailed them earlier in the year when having trouble accessing my online account and noone ever replied. fortunately I managed to sort it out myself.

I will call them back if needed but just wanted to avoid wasting hours on hold if anyone here knew for sure whether they are allowed to ban existing customers from taking up new offers like this.
  • clairehi
    irnbru wrote: »
    Try applying via the quote site.

I have just tried this and it confirms that the online saver v16 is the best deal for me, but at the end of the process it tells me that I am an existing customer so need to apply via my online account - which takes me back to square one, as the deal I want does not appear as an option for me to switch to.
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I'm currently on Energy Saver 11 - November 2012 (No Standing Charge), there is no exit penalty on this now since 31 October 11. I think the deal I was looking at moving to was the online energy saver v16 - although as I cant see how you can save a search on uswitch Im not 100% sure without going through the quote process again.

Can anyone suggest an SP email address I can contact that will get a reply. As I emailed them earlier in the year when having trouble accessing my online account and noone ever replied. fortunately I managed to sort it out myself.

I will call them back if needed but just wanted to avoid wasting hours on hold if anyone here knew for sure whether they are allowed to ban existing customers from taking up new offers like this.

I did exactly what you want to do, when ES11 ended i went onto OES16. You will have to speak to someone to do it though. I spoke to them a couple of days before the ES11 ended to make sure that i went straight onto the new tariff and not onto the expensive standard tariff inbetween.

Somewhere on the site (sorry can`t remember where) when you log in you can press a call me button and enter your details. They will call you back and you can set it up - no hanging on or call costs to pay.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • clairehi
    Brilliant thank you! I will do the call me thing tomorrow hope I can get the same deal as you :)
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Hi clairehi,

If you want to e-mail me with your details at [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] I will see what I can do to help.

Kind regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I've just posted something similar - was on OLE 10 (extended from Oct 11 to Oct 12), on SP website saw Discounted Energy Oct but on a price comparison site was OLE 16. I e-mailed them from my log in site and they have transferred the deal to OLE 16 (going from 2% discount to 11.9% discount, £165 to £122/month).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure