Samsung Galaxy S2 - Software update - how to?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nope the original S2 may have been gingerbread? And that could move apps to the SD with no issues, one of teh updates did kill it. But I didnt update it at all.

Installed directly to the SD from the play store.

Gingerbread 2.3?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nope the original S2 may have been gingerbread? And that could move apps to the SD with no issues, one of teh updates did kill it. But I didnt update it at all.

Installed directly to the SD from the play store.

Gingerbread 2.3?

No -- I don't think that's ever been possible with Android. Try moving a big program (like Firefox) to the SD card, and you will see that it still uses internal storage space. Android doesn't allow you to move executable files.

That's why you need Apps2SD. And even with Apps2SD, you need to root your phone and create a secondary system partition -- you can't just use FAT32 as you normally would on an SD card.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 January 2018 at 5:08AM
    Not necessary to use the apps2SD app if when you repartition the S2 you increase the ROM partition to 1GB AND /system to 4GB. That way you have the space to install ROMs running more recent OS versions and, with the larger system partition, there is no need to move any apps to the internal SD card.
  • Yep, Lineage would be pretty much the only thing I'd recommend - but the experience is going to suck AND its not very easy to do unless you're a techie-minded person.

Even a £60 modern phone would be a massive improvement. Massive.
  • esuhl
    glennevis wrote: »
    Not necessary to use the apps2SD app if when you repartition the S2 you increase the ROM partition to 1GB AND /system to 4GB. That way you have the space to install ROMs running more recent OS versions and, with the larger system partition, there is no need to move any apps to the internal SD card.

Ah -- thanks for that. For some bizarre reason I didn't realise you could repartition the internal storage like that... duh!

If anyone else is interested in doing that and installing Lineage OS, there's a pretty straightforward guide here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/help/preparing-clean-loss-data-installation-t3712409

At the end, it just says to install LineageOS, but you probably want to install Google Apps and optionally enable root access, as explained in the last couple of steps (step 7 to 12) right at the bottom of this page:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/i9100/install

I've now got 8GB storage space for apps (instead of 2GB) and don't need Apps2SD.

:T
    Yep, Lineage would be pretty much the only thing I'd recommend - but the experience is going to suck AND its not very easy to do unless you're a techie-minded person.

I agree that you probably need to be vaguely techie to install Lineage. But it's not that hard, and it's a great experience -- much better than the stock ROM!

My phone now has a much more up-to-date OS with all the security updates that come with it, and performance seems slightly better than with the stock ROM. It was easy to install AdAway to block adverts in all apps.

It's made my old phone usable... and was completely free! :money:

Sure, the S2 doesn't have the performance of the latest phones, but if the only reason for upgrading is because you've run out of app space or because you want the latest security updates, then put your money away and look no further! :-)
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2018 at 3:22PM
    Yep, Lineage would be pretty much the only thing I'd recommend ....

£60 modern phone = 2017 Motorola Moto C (C for crap) may be as not good as 2012 Samsung Galaxy S2 (AMOLED) with LineageOS

If you are not lucky to have a Galaxy S2, Get a 2013 Nexus 5 at £60, of course things you need to do is to install Lineage OS. :rotfl:

[edit]
    Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II (2011) Motorola Moto C (2017) LG Nexus 5 (2013) specification comparison

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3621&idPhone2=8645&idPhone3=5705

[edit end]

"Software obsolescence" depreciates the value of Smartphone. A friend of mine has got a 2013 NEXUS 5. I installed a Linage OS 14.1 to his NEXUS 5. Yes, this will be the great value. Installing a latest Custom Rom definitely adds the value a lot.
    esuhl wrote: »
    If anyone else is interested in doing that and installing Lineage OS, there's a pretty straightforward guide here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/help/preparing-clean-loss-data-installation-t3712409

Sure, the S2 doesn't have the performance of the latest phones, but if the only reason for upgrading is because you've run out of app space or because you want the latest security updates, then put your money away and look no further! :-)

Well said. Happy hacking !:)
  • esuhl
    toshi wrote: »
    "Software obsolescence" depreciates the value of Smartphone.

It's funny how so many people have the idea that phones are disposable things that you buy every year or two.

I got out my old Samsung U100 to use while I sorted out the S2. It's was released ten years ago, but it still looks and feels "futuristic". It's a mere 5.9mm thick and weighs 57 grams! But for some reason, you can't set the date beyond 2016... :-/
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    esuhl wrote: »
    It's funny how so many people have the idea that phones are disposable things that you buy every year or two.

i don't think that is the case so much now as new mobile tech slows. had my last phone (note 3) for for 4 years until it started cutting out. the previous phone (note) i had for approx 6 years. i sold that as i installed a custom rom (lineage?) but was unhappy with the results. my new pixel xl i plan on keeping for at least 4 years.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i don't think that is the case so much now as new mobile tech slows. had my last phone (note 3) for for 4 years until it started cutting out. the previous phone (note) i had for approx 6 years. i sold that as i installed a custom rom (lineage?) but was unhappy with the results. my new pixel xl i plan on keeping for at least 4 years.

Without a Custom ROM, Google Pixel would be the best in terms of software support. Pixel will be supported until 10.2019 for security updates.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705
    • Pixel 2 (2017) phones get Android version updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 3 years, we can't guarantee more updates
    • Pixel (2016) phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee more updates.
    "Android Eco System" support devices for only 2-3 years, therefore I believe that community developers Android OS support is key to extend device life.

Google Nexus phones have been very developers friendly and well supported by many Custom Roms. Some suggests due to higher price of Pixel phones, community support may not be as widespread

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/19/pixel-pixel-xl-guaranteed-android-version-updates-least-2-years/

Also running cost of handset became ridiculously high, (more than 20 pound per month? ) Custom Rom would be a serious solution for some people.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
  • https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2

Toshi there`s plenty of support for the S2 as well Nougat and even Oreo (WIP)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure