Where am I going wrong?

Options
demiruss
demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
edited 30 December 2017 at 8:08PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I'm a grafter and will put my all in to whatever job I'm doing, but I've found myself in low-paid jobs throughout my 20s. I'm educated to postgrad level and not currently working in my field as it's over-saturated, but would like a job with progression and my degrees have a lot of transferable skills. Has anyone got any tips for getting on the career ladder? Admin or anything, although I do love helping people experiencing difficulties and knowing I'm making a difference. I'm fed up of working in roles where I'm doing more than my pay bracket just because my managers know I'm capable. Even my union rep said I was wasted where I am recently and was being taken advantage of, but I still do the work because I'd rather keep myself occupied in work than skive. I'm just in a rut so please be gentle.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    Options
    Graduate scheme?

What feedback are you getting when you get rejected?

What field are your qualifications in?
  • demiruss
    Options
    Graduate scheme?

What feedback are you getting when you get rejected?

What field are your qualifications in?

Thank you, Boris :beer:

Psychology and the masters is in a more maths/big data course.

I tried a retail graduate scheme once, but bombed at the interview :rotfl: I was out of my comfort zone presenting a CV that couldn't be a traditional CV or presentation (don't ask). I haven't looked at much other than retail schemes.

I tend to apply for entry-level admin to pay the bills and ensure an interview, but when I'm in the role after a few weeks management have me doing all sorts and it leaves me demotivated when I'm basically on receptionist pay. Everywhere seems to want X amount of years experience in a specific role, ignoring the fact you could have acquired the same skills via a different route. I'm willing to start on minimum wage if it meant a career (then you get the "overqualified" excuses), I'm really not snobby. I'm just starting to resent putting in effort without any payoff for me.
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    demiruss wrote: »
    Thank you, Boris :beer:

Psychology and the masters is in a more maths/big data course.

I tried a retail graduate scheme once, but bombed at the interview :rotfl: I was out of my comfort zone presenting a CV that couldn't be a traditional CV or presentation (don't ask). I haven't looked at much other than retail schemes.

I tend to apply for entry-level admin to pay the bills and ensure an interview, but when I'm in the role after a few weeks management have me doing all sorts and it leaves me demotivated when I'm basically on receptionist pay. Everywhere seems to want X amount of years experience in a specific role, ignoring the fact you could have acquired the same skills via a different route. I'm willing to start on minimum wage if it meant a career (then you get the "overqualified" excuses), I'm really not snobby. I'm just starting to resent putting in effort without any payoff for me.

Lots more graduate schemes out there! ;)

Your numerical abilities will open a lot of doors - statistics, accountancy, actuarial science. How many schemes have you actually applied for?
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    you could become a teacher.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

That’s what I was going to say. They pay trainees in maths a wage whilst training now.
  • mclaren32
    Options
    There is more to getting ahead than what is on paper.

How you come across is just as if not more important. Opinions are formed in the first few seconds of any interaction so they need to count and will strongly influence any interview panels decisions.

I’m my experience it isn’t what you know or what you can do that gets you ahead it’s who you are & how you influence others.
  • BorisThomson
    Options

If you want to have no life and a breakdown before you're thirty.

OP if you're considering teaching look at the feedback on the Get Into Teaching Facebook page. There is a good reason why far more people are leaving the profession than joining.
  • demiruss
    Options
    Lots more graduate schemes out there! ;)

Your numerical abilities will open a lot of doors - statistics, accountancy, actuarial science. How many schemes have you actually applied for?

True! I need to start looking again :) I've applied for several retail ones, and the civil service, got to interview on all of them but then chicken out after my first bad experience. I wish I could do something in stats, but all the jobs I see want experience in a similar role and those at entry level are non-existent where I live.
    _shel wrote: »
    That’s what I was going to say. They pay trainees in maths a wage whilst training now.

I have thought about teacher training but don't know how good a fit I'd be. I know a few, including one who was on my course and left the profession do the same masters I was doing.
  • demiruss
    demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2017 at 9:01PM
    Options
    mclaren32 wrote: »
    There is more to getting ahead than what is on paper.

How you come across is just as if not more important. Opinions are formed in the first few seconds of any interaction so they need to count and will strongly influence any interview panels decisions.

I’m my experience it isn’t what you know or what you can do that gets you ahead it’s who you are & how you influence others.

Agree 100% Like I said, I'm not entitled because I've done a few courses. I would like to work on my soft skills as they're weaker than my technical ones, but my issue is I can't even get on the ladder to be rejected. I tend to perform well in standard interviews, but I'm at a loss at how to begin a career - people in the workplace see my potential but I can't seem to join the two together. And my careers advisory service weren't helpful.

Edit- I must add that I've worked for some pretty shocking managers who couldn't influence their own facial expression, but in general it is how you get on with staff rather than how efficient you are at the role.
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    If you want to have no life and a breakdown before you're thirty.

OP if you're considering teaching look at the feedback on the Get Into Teaching Facebook page. There is a good reason why far more people are leaving the profession than joining.

I had a strong feeling you would try to steer OP away from a profession he MAY like because of your own feelings. We can find good and bad feedback, its down to the individual.
    demiruss wrote: »

I have thought about teacher training but don't know how good a fit I'd be. I know a few, including one who was on my course and left the profession do the same masters I was doing.

Some get on with it, some dont, depends on motive too. I happen to know people who love the job. Keep an open mind to it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure