PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No bond or agent fees, weary?

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The landlord sounds legit from what you say.

You treat this as any normal tenancy. Obvious things are

* when paying anything, get a receipt, specifying what the payment is for (rent? security depost? holding deposit?) and whether/how it is refundable
    * don't sign an inventory till you are in and have checked it is accurate, both in terms of what is there, and in what condition
    * if you discuss/agree any improvements (eg LL promises to install new carpets/whatever), get it confirmed in writing
    * read the tenancy agreement. If you don't understand anything, quote it (exactly!) here and we'll help.
    * make sure the length of tenancy is what you want - 6 months, 12, whatever. Bear in mind you have no security after that, though the tenancy may continue

These links may help, now or in future:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)

* Deposits:
    payment, protection and return

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?

* Repossession: what if a LL's mortgage lender repossesses the property?
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I just wanted to say, i really am greatful for the help you've all given me.
    I know giving up our home is a huge step but honestly my neighbour seems to be untouchable.

Constantly got police there, then we dont see him for a few weeks then hes back again.
    As i say always in trouble with police but nothing ever comes of it.
    From drugs/fighting/them searching for a fire arm which resulted them using a tazor on him and getting him in the throat.
    He flips at the drop a hat and i feel like im treading on egg shells all the time, looks like he is just waiting for an argument constantly.
    Ive only had it directed at my family once, last boxing day, was awful and he ended up kicking a massive hole in his own fence because he couldnt control himself.
    My mum and sister were visiting, she ended up calling the police to which i had to beg them not to come as he said he would make our lives hell

I dont want my children to be bought up around this and thinking its normal.
    Ive been very depressed about it all, ive waited and waited hoping the police would remove him but they wont, i am left with no other option.
  • Jm90
    Options
    I have no idea how to quote people,sorry.
    I assumed he wouldn't be able to just sell up if we have a tenancy agreement?
    Ive looked into home swaps just nothing around, ive looked for ages.
    Ive called local councils but because we have no family in these towns they said we wouldn't be offered anywhere as we are not actually home less.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I have no idea how to quote people
    You use the "Quote" button which is at the foot of every post here...
  • Jm90
    Options
    Yes ive tried that. Im on my phone but it doesnt seem to do anything :rotfl:
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I assumed he wouldn't be able to just sell up if we have a tenancy agreement?

I'm worried that you have no idea how precarious private renting can be. Subject to the specific terms of your contract (please read this properly!), a landlord can give notice for any reason and doesn't have to justify their decision. A standard tenancy is usually for 12 months with an initial 6 month break clause, followed by 2 months notice from either party ie you could be legally served notice and have to move again after 6 months. You can ask to negotiate if you want a long term tenancy; the flipside is you will not be able to move quickly if you need to for work, health or neighbour reasons. You will need to bear in mind the cost of moving (ie deposit and first 6 weeks rent upfront) and aim to have this saved up to have on hand in case a correctly served eviction notice arrives at any point. This is the reality of life for Britain's private tenants.

Please note it's generally a waste of your time and money to improve the property at all, and get agreement in writing if you do make any changes to decor. Take dated photos of everything when you move in for the inventory.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Jm90
    Options
    I really do not know, which is why i am asking as i dont want to be stung, its all new to me. Ive been safe in housing associations so far

We are viewing a separate house today, different town, which is all done via an estate agent. Its more money/less rooms bond/fees, so we will see how that goes.

Ive not heard back yet off the landlord of the house in question.
    So, he agreed to a 12month or 24 month tenancy before we viewed it.
    If we did go for it and sign a 12 month tenancy, could he still just sell up?
  • Jm90
    Options
    Sorry i see what you've said. I will see what he comes back with and update. Thanks again
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If we did go for it and sign a 12 month tenancy, could he still just sell up?

Yes, at any time.

But then the new owner would become your landlord.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Doesn't your Housing Association have a transfer list? Ours does. Anyone can ask for a move and they are quite good at offering them because of course they still have your place for moving new people to so they lose nothing. I would never give up my HA home. I did a swap using www.homeswapper.co.uk because I wanted to move out of the area but if you want to move closer a transfer is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure