Council tax reduction given but only if you apply online !

longforgotten
longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
edited 3 January 2018 at 9:06PM in Benefits & tax credits
The scenario is this... in receipt of pension credit and eligible for a deduction in Council tax but Birmingham Council will only give you the deduction if you apply online ! I think this is disgraceful. So many older people do not have computers. The person I know who wanted to fill in a form to get the reduction was told 'go to your library' and apply online.

Birmingham Council I think you should be ashamed of yourselves. You have a reputation of being useless and it would appear to be justified.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you now helped the person apply?
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My council tax deduction online took iPad Pro+win10 laptop.
    Found local council website wasn’t compatible with formats of wage slips/printed PIP docs etc.
    Finally got the full app through online which was processed in appr 1-2 weeks and deduction applied shortly afterwards.
    If your not confident -ask someone who has access to a p.c. And printer and let them know where they could find the required docs to either scan or print and upload via application.
    The effort maybe worthwhile though the full amount of deduction wont be verified until 2018/2019 council tax bill.

Good luck!
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Sadly councils to seems to be putting obstacles in the way of those who are either not computer literate, or don't have easy access to a computer. I suppose it's an easy way to save money!
    Expecting somebody else to give up their time to help others make their legitimate claim is not an acceptable answer.
  • In fairness my council which couldn’t organise a party in a brewery has computers in their libraries, which are free to use, and have customer access shops which also have free to use computers in them.

Personally I don’t see this as placing obstacles.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    In fairness my council which couldn’t organise a party in a brewery has computers in their libraries, which are free to use, and have customer access shops which also have free to use computers in them.

Personally I don’t see this as placing obstacles.

For elderly and/or disabled people, having to leave their home in order to claim their entitlement is an obstacle in its own right. With my local council you can't even report a failure to collect refuse without setting up an online account!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Most, if not all, councils will have benefit welfare officers who will make Home visits if people are computer illiterate and unable to leave the house/have anyone else to help them.

Those who are genuinely housebound or disabled will have social workers or carers also who can help with this.

There are no obstacles a phone call and some patience won’t overcome.

You could say the exact same thing about banking, and closing high street banks and forcing people onto online banking. There is always a way to work with everything if you put in a tiny bit of effort...
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Most, if not all, councils will have benefit welfare officers who will make Home visits if people are computer illiterate and unable to leave the house/have anyone else to help them.

Those who are genuinely housebound or disabled will have social workers or carers also who can help with this.

There are no obstacles a phone call and some patience won’t overcome.

You could say the exact same thing about banking, and closing high street banks and forcing people onto online banking. There is always a way to work with everything if you put in a tiny bit of effort...

Totally agree. Libraries will be closing soon if they are not being used for what they are there for, and that includes access to internet and support with the use of it. It's not like the person has to go at one particular time, they can go when it suits them/someone can take them and if indeed, they are too disabled to do so, then I'm sure the council will have a process in place. However, for those who have just plenty of time during the days and healthy, it's not unreasonable to expect them to make the trip to a library which is funded by the council!
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    For elderly and/or disabled people, having to leave their home in order to claim their entitlement is an obstacle in its own right. With my local council you can't even report a failure to collect refuse without setting up an online account!

Even in the old days before computers, sending a letter to the council involved leaving home just to post it, even for elderly or disabled people. For those without a phone, they had to leave home to go to a payphone kiosk.

So what's so onerous in leaving your home to use a computer?

And every council requires you to have an account to pay your Council Tax.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Sadly councils to seems to be putting obstacles in the way of those who are either not computer literate, or don't have easy access to a computer. I suppose it's an easy way to save money!
    Expecting somebody else to give up their time to help others make their legitimate claim is not an acceptable answer.
    Whilst I’m disabled, i appreciate the help of others.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:55PM
    Yes the person I mentioned has been helped because there is no other way!... but that does not make it right.

"There are no obstacles a phone call and some patience won’t overcome".........I wish I lived in your world and I'm a patient person.

I don't see why people should be marginalised. I'm happy for people who are comfortable in using computers to use them but there must be still a way to provide the service to those who don't.

And yes, I don't agree with everyone being expected to do online banking either ! :) I've already changed banks because I'm tired of them asking me to go to the hole in the wall.....even if I am capable of so doing I don't want to !

Oh and the bit about going to library ....I wish you well going to the new Birmingham Library. They spent that much money on it I hear it doesn't open until 11am because they can't afford it, stupid or what !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure