PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hot water bottles

Gave ours a winter test run. Noticed when emptying the water there were a lot of loose little rubber bits coming out. Is this normal or a sign that the rubber is perishing and it needs to be replaced?

Dont want it leaking all over the bedclothes!

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Yes it is!
    And can't be mended unfortunately!
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2017 at 12:19PM
    I no longer use rubber hot water bottles (can't bear the smell!)....but back in my teens, I remember filling one from the top and screeching as it seeped out the bottom - the rubber had perished!

Sadly, Primrose, it sounds like you may need a new one.

I much prefer the wheat-bag type...they don't stay quite as warm as the rubber type...but they heat up in the microwave and are generally speaking much safer (for children...and for disabled people like myself who redefine 'klutz'!)....and more recently I splashed out the pennies and bough a pad that you plug in to heat up and then zip into a furry pouch - I can pop it into the bed at 8:30, have a snuggly warm bed when I turn in, and it is STILL warm at 2am! - and it is sheer BLISS tucked against my back when I get a Hexenschuss (a witch's kick/jolt.....aka lumbago!, sometimes German is just so beautifully expressive!)
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’m glad I’ve read this thread, looks like it’s time to replace mine.

I usually empty my hot water bottle down the loo (to save a flush!) that’s when I noticed all the flecks of pink plastic (which took several flushes to clear)
    weaving through the chaos...
  • I got rid of my old hot water bottle when I noticed the rubber washer inside the screw top was perished.

What I would really like is a smooth brick or maybe a stone I could heat on the radiator or next to the fire.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    More recently I splashed out the pennies and bought a pad that you plug in to heat up and then zip into a furry pouch - I can pop it into the bed at 8:30, have a snuggly warm bed when I turn in, and it is STILL war at 2am! - and it is sheer BLISS tucked against my back when I get a Hexenschuss (a witch's kick/jolt.....aka lumbago!, sometimes German is just so beautifully expressive!)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Love it!
    What I would really like is a smooth brick or maybe a stone I could heat on the radiator or next to the fire.

Sounds like you want an old fashioned stoneware hot water bottle! I'm of an age to remember these; DM would fill it up with hot water and wrap it in a towel before putting it in the bed - they were unbelievably hot, too hot to put your bare feet on. :(
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hexenschuss brilliantly expressive word and even the translation is good 'witchs kick ' I know the feeling well :):):)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It’s funny, mine has lasted for years with very regular use. But now I’ve read Prinzessilein’s recommendation I want a wheat pack! Have P’inned an image to my wishlist and will look out for it in chazzers henceforth.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Sounds like you want an old fashioned stoneware hot water bottle! I'm of an age to remember these; DM would fill it up with hot water and wrap it in a towel before putting it in the bed - they were unbelievably hot, too hot to put your bare feet on. :(

Yep! Bring back the “stone piggy”! Can’t beat it for getting the bed warm, but how it hurt when you accidentally kicked it in the middle of the night!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Have any of you switched to an all night electric blanket yet?

I know the outlay is bigger than a hot water bottle, but the running costs are minimal!

I have, and I honestly sleep like a log now. High setting getting into bed and then the lowest overnight. It is just sooooo lovely.

I always sleep in an unheated bedroom though. Never looked back. Even on the coldest night, a cool/cold room and a warm bed will sort you out, and fewer colds/coughs too. Believe me!

Just saying....
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    Hexenschuss brilliantly expressive word and even the translation is good 'witchs kick ' I know the feeling well :):):)
    I think so, too.:o I wonder if there's a super-expressive German word for the kind of beastly leg cramp that leaves your calf feeling like it's bruised four days later?? :D
    melanzana wrote: »
    Have any of you switched to an all night electric blanket yet?
    I'm terrified of electric blankets, having experienced a house fire caused by a faulty one, many years ago.:eek:
    Like Prinzess I use wheaty bags; I was told to put a half-full mug of water in the microwave with them when heating them; I gather it stops the filling from getting crispy-dry.
    I may look into the plug-in thingy though, that sounds good.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure