PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why won't our house sell?

Comments

• Looks pretty nice, tbh. Cut the grass?

OTOH, 3 weeks is nowt.
  • Mrsburg wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Could be worth doing that with the Estate Agents, thanks. I might ask a family member to pose or something.

Without blowing our trumpet we have left the house in excellent condition for all viewings - clearing things so it looks exactly the same on photographs. We already have a storage unit where a lot of clutter went before photos and it's still there. I really don't think that's an issue, it certainly looks a damn lot better than all the other houses we've viewed as buyers.

Price - it is competitively priced as per other houses sold by the same agent on the same estate, very similar houses. We're completely stumped!!

I've just looked at the pictures, I agree it's very well presented.

My guess would be that the agents are pushing other properties for some reason or they don't have suitable buyers on their books.

Push them for feedback and talk to other agents, perhaps to line up a different agent to sell when your contract with the current agent ends.

Don't risk putting it on with 2 agents at the same time. You risk being liable for 2 lots of fees, meanwhile neither agent puts in the effort as they're waiting for the other one to do the hard work!

As a buyer I've never liked the phrase "offers in excess of". Personally I want to know the price, end of. Also looks like there's another house on the same road for £187500? And several others cheaper within half a mile. I'd suggest speaking to other agents about the price to guage their opinion?
  • Mrsburg
    Mrsburg Posts: 22 Forumite
    Loathed to cut the grass because it is completely dead due to this heatwave !!!55357;!!!56834; but I guess that isn't a problem exclusive to us. Thank you.
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Looks pretty smart, just takes time at the moment unfortunately.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Agree with cutting the lawn. Not really short with the weather as it is, but at least neater.

If the kitchen is a kitchen/diner, and it is a 3 bedroom house, I would expect space to seat 3-4 people, but you only have 2 chairs and a little table.

Looks generally nice, but the big empty cream wall in the lounge needs a picture.
    Also the hall, stairs and landing are very plain. A thin little table or a shelf above the radiator big enough for a vase of flowers and a picture at the stop of the stairs would add to the space for minimal cost.
    Zebras rock
  • One more thing - listing says double drive, but there's no picture of it and no clue where it is in relation to the front/back garden. I know when we were choosing the house to which we moved this year, parking both our cars off-street was an absolute must-have. We simply did not view properties where we could not do this, no matter how nice they were.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    I agree that a photo of the double drive needs to be included with the rest.

You can only see it if you go onto street view and a lot of people won't bother.
  • "Double drive" gives one mental image (e.g. could put a gate at the bottom of it, could repurpose the ground to something else, change it to gravel or slabs or whatever, etc.), and then street view shows you two asphalt parking spaces, complete with white lines. I dunno. Are these spaces within the boundaries of the property?
  • Mrsburg
    Mrsburg Posts: 22 Forumite
    Thanks for feedback about the double drive. We will get them to post a picture showing it clearly.

Yes the double drive is within our property and in theory could be changed to gravel, etc but would not be in keeping with the whole estate so not sure people would want to do it. It's an option though!! We're quite lucky that we have a double drive + a nice front garden so no real need to change it.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Overall it looks nicely presented. If i were being really critical I'd say the sofa in the lounge is a little overbearing and I was questioning where the TV was right until the last photo of the lounge. If you can't do anything about the sofa perhaps lose the additional single chair in the living room?

I'd also be tempted to lose pic 9 of the back of the door - it looks a little like a prison cell door and doesn't really add anything imo.

Perhaps some pots in the garden with flowers to add a little colour - however the garden itself will attract both keen gardeners as a blank canvas and people who want low maintenance. Although it seems to be quite a busy estate from the look of surrounding houses, it gets points from me that it doesn't appear overlooked.

3 weeks really isn't a long time to have the house on the market, could you perhaps have an open house in a couple of weeks? To me this seems to be a way of a) getting a good block of viewings all at once b) creating a little competition between prospective buyers as seeing others looking about the house creates a bit of 'I want' (again imo)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family